C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Fiberglass repair

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2003, 10:14 AM
propwash
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fiberglass repair

I pulled my rear valance off yesterday and spoted 2 cracks in it on the back side. The paint is unblemished.
1 what is the difference in epoxy and fiberglass resin ? seems the epoxy will penetrate the fabric and bond.

2 what weight glass fabric should I use. The cracks are on the bottom by where the tube type braces go through the valance close to the License bazel
Old 01-13-2003, 04:34 PM
58Mike
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Re: Fiberglass repair (propwash)

Epoxy resin is the superior resin to polyester. It doesn't shrink (polyester, as well as laquer, does) and doesn't crack as easily. I've seen posts that it won't adhere to our polyester resin based panels as well, but I don't know either way if that's really true. Boat guys use epoxy resin almost universally.

If you go this route, I recommend West System http://www.westsystem.com Most boating or marine stores will carry this. They sell calibrated hand pumps that screw into the resin and hardener cans that are the coolest thing since sliced bread. Makes accurately measuring small or large amounts a breeze. And since it's so easy to mix very small amounts, waste is kept to a minimum.

They also sell powder additives for the resin for various special applications. The one I use is 407 Fairing Filler. You add a small amount to thicken the resin, or a large amount to make a bondo type paste. Very cool.

For an ameteur like me, this setup was a big help. That's why I recommend it so highly.

- Mike Greene
Old 01-13-2003, 05:26 PM
Solidlifters
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never used epoxy on PM glass and feel that polyester resin is more compatible because of similarity with what the car was made from. That is assuming that your car still has PM glass in the panel, and not a later GM replacement made from SMC. The SMC will require an epoxy type resin, or at least something more compatible than the polyester resin is.

As far as the repair itself, I assume you know that the area will have to be ground with a course disc prior to applying the glass or it won't stick. For a proper repair it should really be ground thin in the center, but of course this will likely affect your undamaged paint. I'm not real sure I'd fix it if it's not noticeable. Just putting a fiberglass bandaid on the back isn't likely to keep the crack from showing through the paint in time.
Old 01-14-2003, 09:18 AM
propwash
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Fiberglass repair (Solidlifters)

Thanks guys for the advise.
I went to TAP Plastics yesterday and explained my situation. It turns out the manager owns a 63 vert and recomended a poly resin . I did sand both cracks and surrounding areas and then made the patch . My hope is that the resin wicked into the cracks and the fabric will hold it fast :steering:
Old 01-14-2003, 10:23 PM
mrg
Safety Car

Received 547 Likes on 315 Posts

I used that same poly resin TAP plastics carries in their inventory too on a couple of areas in need of repair on my '64. Seems to have worked out just fine, as the repair is solid. Be sure to heed Solidlifters advice about using a coarse sanding disc (36 grit), or if lacking a disc grinder you can use sandpaper (40 grit) .. I didn't know about the epoxy resin 58 Mike mentioned.

mrg
Old 01-15-2003, 09:35 AM
propwash
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Fiberglass repair (mrg)

MRG
Thanks for the reply. My fix looks and feels good ( no air pockets) its as easy as falling off a log :rolleyes: My car goes in for Painting in 2 weeks and I am trying to get everything ready that I can do to save a little "danearo" sp? :auto:
Old 01-15-2003, 01:12 PM
58Mike
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It's "dinero." I guess Portland's a long way from Los Angeles! ;) Congrats on the fix! A few more like that and you'll be saving yourself mucho dinero!

- Mike Greene
Old 01-16-2003, 09:38 AM
propwash
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Fiberglass repair (58Mike)

58Mike
Thanks, I look at the car as a great hobby and half the fun is working on the car up here in the winter when driving is not an option although the WX people say we may have sun here Friday or Saturday.
Hey I do know how to spell Van Nuys, Bob's Big Boy. and June Elan Donuts :D

Get notified of new replies

To Fiberglass repair

Quick Reply: Fiberglass repair