C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Spark plug wire routing w/headers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2003, 11:53 AM
MasterDave

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Default Spark plug wire routing w/headers?

Can I get a few pics from you guys with your header mounted plug wire setups please? Looking for options for running the wires alongside the valve covers and how you hold them up and away from the header heat. Thanks...
Old 01-17-2003, 12:10 PM
1Redctoo
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Spark plug wire routing w/headers? (MasterDave)

MasterDave- I'd also like to see how everyone mounts them , mine are just floating free. The problem I have is that the cups for the sparkplugs rub against the headers and melt . Hopefully someone knows a type of plug wire or shielding to correct this . Then I can route them to where they look good too .
Old 01-17-2003, 12:18 PM
Crazyhorse
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Spark plug wire routing w/headers? (1Redctoo)

There is also a thread on this on C3. I like the clamps on the valve covers that TSHORT is using :thumbs:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=473851
Old 01-17-2003, 01:04 PM
MasterDave

MasterDave- I'd also like to see how everyone mounts them , mine are just floating free. The problem I have is that the cups for the sparkplugs rub against the headers and melt . Hopefully someone knows a type of plug wire or shielding to correct this . Then I can route them to where they look good too .
There are some shorter plugs you can use. Might help some.
Old 01-17-2003, 01:55 PM
Brutal64
Burning Brakes

I use a 90 degree boot at the spark plug, this keeps them away from the header, with the plastic wire seperators. I don't use any type of looms. I'll see if I have any good pictures.

Steve
Old 01-17-2003, 02:01 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Default Re: Spark plug wire routing w/headers? (frannsteve)

Here's how I did mine on the Grand Sport - R&M looms/retainers, 90-degree boots (MSD Heli-Core "Universal" wires, cut to length after routing):

Old 01-17-2003, 02:17 PM
wallyknoch
Pro

I use 90 degree boots on the plug ends with a good set that you have to cut and fit and run them underneath and out of sight. This works on both big block cars and those with smallblocks. Custom fit them yourself. This way the engines are easy to work on and a clean upper end without unsightly costly brackets in the way and wires all over the place. A picture would not work, as mine are out of sight. Clean and simple. :thumbs: :cheers: :D
Old 01-17-2003, 02:46 PM
MasterDave

Yeah, I've been looking at the R&M's for a few days now and cannot make up my mind. I like the routing under the headers idea and if I can find somewhere to secure them to the block will probably go that route. I'm assuming you just use the old shielding holes (two per side) on the block just below the heads right? What did you put there to hold the wires? :cheers:

[Modified by MasterDave, 11:47 AM 1/17/2003]
Old 01-17-2003, 03:51 PM
wallyknoch
Pro

They are either on the block or the original equipment GM clips that attach to the oil pan bolts. I forget which way, but I know the clips should be used to seperate the wires and keep them from moving around and getting burned. Keep them started out under the shielding from the distributor and go down the back of the engine to the clips and then to the plugs. Out of sight out of mind theory. :lol: :cheers: :thumbs: Plus it keeps the engine clean looking. :thumbs:
Old 01-18-2003, 02:12 AM
franko64
Intermediate

I tried running mine under the headers along the oil pan clips and up through the stock shielding, but if I remember right the headers I had were just too close to the block. I eventually ran them through some looms mounted along the valve cover. I also used the 90 degree boots with a set of wires I cut myself.
Old 01-18-2003, 12:23 PM
64BB
Racer

redctoo
i had problems with the boots on numbers 1 and 3. i think a 135 degree boot will help, and i will do that this summer. however, as an immediate fix, my speed shop sold me an asbestos tape. i cut a few inches off and wraped it around the two problem boots. i even used a thin piece of wire wrapped around the tape to be extra sure it did not come off of the boot. had no problems all of last summer. also the tape is great for soldering around gas lines [i was doing basement plumbing repairs and i had to sweat copper within 2 inches of the gas line. no problemo] i think the tape resists about 1400 degrees of radiant heat, which is more than adequate.
Old 01-18-2003, 02:42 PM
Vetterodder
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I use the Moroso looms and have never had a burnt wire or boot. It makes for easy routing and with the shortest possible wires.

Get notified of new replies

To Spark plug wire routing w/headers?

Quick Reply: Spark plug wire routing w/headers?