C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Alternator and Battery Charging

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2023, 11:27 PM
reno stallion
Melting Slicks

Received 1,541 Likes on 815 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

It took a Sh-- I mean POOP
Old 08-10-2023, 07:44 AM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,734 Likes on 3,070 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by reno stallion
I have one
Originally Posted by reno stallion
It took a Sh-- I mean POOP
What went wrong with it?

As I recall there has ever been only once source of solid state VRs for C1s... an elderly individual who had a small garage operation, I think. Was yours one of his?
Old 08-14-2023, 11:08 AM
DblTrbl
Burning Brakes

Received 395 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by jim lockwood
Well, stay tuned. The idea hasn't totally infested my brain cells yet. I may still be able to talk myself out of doing it.

Trouble is that I've done so many Arduino projects that I can immediately imagine how such a smart regulator should work.

Doggonnit, Dan!!!!
If you're going to build one, here is a great article that talks about how GM controls their modern alternator. https://www.motor.com/magazine-summa...september2015/
or the PDF version

I have arduino controlled regulation in my C3.
Old 08-14-2023, 11:30 AM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Originally Posted by DblTrbl
If you're going to build one, here is a great article that talks about how GM controls their modern alternator. https://www.motor.com/magazine-summa...september2015/
or the PDF version

I have arduino controlled regulation in my C3.
Thanks for the article. Every regulation mode described is well within the capability of an Arduino-controlled VR.

Tell me more about the Arduino regulator in your C3. Did you build it? Can you share the source code? Pictures???
Old 08-14-2023, 12:13 PM
DblTrbl
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the article. Every regulation mode described is well within the capability of an Arduino-controlled VR.

Tell me more about the Arduino regulator in your C3. Did you build it? Can you share the source code? Pictures???
Yes, i built it. I fell very deep down your Arduino projects for my car rabbit hole.

I swapped the alternator to a GM PWM controlled Alternator. This allows the arduino to more easily control the voltage by eliminating the building of the regulator itself.

Actually the arduino controls more than the alternator in my C3. It also controls the the radiator fan, the oil cooler fan, trans cooler fan, fuel pumps, the transmission, the touch screen for selecting driving modes, and more. Here is the link to my build thread 10 second C3 cruiser
Old 08-14-2023, 03:22 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Originally Posted by DblTrbl
Yes, i built it. I fell very deep down your Arduino projects for my car rabbit hole.

I swapped the alternator to a GM PWM controlled Alternator. This allows the arduino to more easily control the voltage by eliminating the building of the regulator itself.

Actually the arduino controls more than the alternator in my C3. It also controls the the radiator fan, the oil cooler fan, trans cooler fan, fuel pumps, the transmission, the touch screen for selecting driving modes, and more. Here is the link to my build thread 10 second C3 cruiser
What an impressive build! You did everything except form the frame rails for that car! Well done!

Your programming skills greatly exceed my own. I'm still back at using 4x20 alphanumeric displays.

Gotta question... I see that you used an Arduino Due. Why? Did you need the computing horsepower? I've gotten by with Megas, Unos, and even Nanos. I've looked at using a Due but its 3V logic interface keeps getting in the way. All the accessories I use operate from 5V and to use a Due, I'd have level converters everywhere.
Old 08-14-2023, 03:32 PM
DblTrbl
Burning Brakes

What an impressive build! You did everything except form the frame rails for that car! Well done!

Your programming skills greatly exceed my own. I'm still back at using 4x20 alphanumeric displays.

Gotta question... I see that you used an Arduino Due. Why? Did you need the computing horsepower? I've gotten by with Megas, Unos, and even Nanos. I've looked at using a Due but its 3V logic interface keeps getting in the way. All the accessories I use operate from 5V and to use a Due, I'd have level converters everywhere.
I used the Due for the first pass because I thought I might need the horsepower and I wanted the built in D/A. converter. But the Due has a boot up flaw that I couldn't live with. Also, as you noted, I hate the 3V interfaces and didn't like that the Due has no NVRAM.

The second time around, with the touch screen this time, was with a mega. I got past the D/A issue by PWMing an R/C network. Everything else was easier with the Mega, no shortage of horsepower for all the stuff in my car.
The following users liked this post:
jim lockwood (08-14-2023)

Quick Reply: [C2] Alternator and Battery Charging