C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Getting my '64 Roadster back on the road

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2023, 12:10 PM
jbrentd
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Getting my '64 Roadster back on the road

Hey everyone, just wanted to introduce myself and start a thread for my C2. My name is Brent, I live in N.E. Oklahoma with my wife of 25 years. We have 2 boys (21 and 23). One is in college and the other married and living in KC.

As a kid, I grew up in a Corvette family. Spent many weekends at car shows, auto cross events and drag races. Over the years, my dad owned many C3s and C4s and I am sure there were some I never knew about. Not sure why he never ventured into the newer stuff, but I do know his hobbies shifted to other things in retirement. Out of those that he owned, this one was his first and he never let go of it (except for that one time it was stolen from him). He bought it in 1970 for about $3k, as I recall. It went through a body on restoration of the exterior and interior in the early 80s. He restored the engine compartment in the 90s. And rebuilt the engine around 2000.

When my dad passed in the Spring of '21, I inherited this '64 and a '93 polo green convertible. This finally gave me the push to build a detached shop at my place...something I had started planning for about 10 years before. I drove the '93 quite a bit for those 2+ years, fixing a few things along the way, but decided to sell it. It didn't have the sentimental value and I already had a toy/project of my own. I couldn't justify three toys plus a daily driver and a spare truck.

I originally told myself I would not start on the '64 until my other project car was finished. But I can't stand it anymore, which means I'll have two going at the same time. It hasn't run for at least 8 years. The driver's side wheel is locked up, which made transporting to my place interesting. The master cylinder is bone dry, so I suspect the wheel cylinder was leaking on that corner. My goals are to; 1) go through all the systems that would need attention after sitting for this long, 2) get it running/driving, 3) enjoy getting it out on nice days/evenings, and 4) continue to keep the car as original as possible in the process, as my dad did.

My plan is to do the following:
  • Fuel System: Empty the tank, blow out the lines, replace the fuel filter and have the carb rebuilt
  • Brakes: Rebuild wheel cylinders (if they are original), replace the shoes, inspect the drums to see if they are useable (have them turned)
  • Replace the battery
  • Drain/refill the coolant
  • Replace the thermostat
Are there other things I should add to the list? My plan is to use this thread to help me document the progress and to, hopefully, ask questions as I go.

Here are some pics...

The following 14 users liked this post by jbrentd:
6T7L71CPE (09-29-2023), beatlescott (10-04-2023), Birdman63 (10-01-2023), corvetteed (09-30-2023), elwood13 (09-29-2023), gleninsandiego (10-01-2023), hcallaway (10-28-2023), Johnbar (11-28-2023), leif.anderson93 (09-29-2023), oldjeeps4me (10-01-2023), polo91 (09-29-2023), SJW (09-29-2023), vetintheblood (09-29-2023), Westlotorn (09-29-2023) and 9 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-29-2023, 12:30 PM
Patrick03
64's Rock!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 781 Likes on 438 Posts

Great story and beautiful car! '64s are the best years 😊 Your plan sounds good to me. I'd suggest replacing all the rubber brake hoses and fuel lines. Back at the tank where the fuel line goes through the frame, there is a short rubber hose, be sure to get that one as it is easy to overlook. Replace your tires as well. Even if they look good, they are likely past their life and need replacing. A stock suspension C2 with good rubber bushings will ride great and handle very well. Add some good traction tires and you'll be very happy with the twisty road performance.

Keep us posted on your progress! These are super fun cars to work on and drive. Enjoy it
Old 09-29-2023, 12:32 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,300 Likes on 1,699 Posts

Pleased to see you want to keep it original. Best way to maintain value, and when you have her in top notch mechanical order she will do all you need her to do. She has a very tidy, unmolested look now, which tells me your dad was careful to avoid customization. You will be the beneficiary of that now.. Love the Red/White interior.. Classy
The following users liked this post:
Patrick03 (09-29-2023)
Old 09-29-2023, 01:00 PM
jbrentd
Advanced

Originally Posted by Patrick03
Great story and beautiful car! '64s are the best years 😊 Your plan sounds good to me. I'd suggest replacing all the rubber brake hoses and fuel lines. Back at the tank where the fuel line goes through the frame, there is a short rubber hose, be sure to get that one as it is easy to overlook. Replace your tires as well. Even if they look good, they are likely past their life and need replacing. A stock suspension C2 with good rubber bushings will ride great and handle very well. Add some good traction tires and you'll be very happy with the twisty road performance.

Keep us posted on your progress! These are super fun cars to work on and drive. Enjoy it
Thank you for the reminder on the rubber hoses. I have those in my cart on corvette central and zip. BTW, are those preferred places to order parts? Or are there better options?

Originally Posted by 65hihp
Pleased to see you want to keep it original. Best way to maintain value, and when you have her in top notch mechanical order she will do all you need her to do. She has a very tidy, unmolested look now, which tells me your dad was careful to avoid customization. You will be the beneficiary of that now.. Love the Red/White interior.. Classy
Yes, he was dedicated to keeping it original. Thank you!

After I drained the gas tank last night, I took a look and saw this. I have not inspected any other 60 year old gas tanks, so I don't have anything to compare it to. The float on the sending unit was stiff, but a small nudge with a wooden stick got it to move and it seems to be moving freely now. Should I be looking to replace the tank or one of those POR15 restoration kits or leave it be?

Old 09-29-2023, 01:24 PM
mudbone64
Le Mans Master

Location: I'd like to propose a toast... to internal combustion and wind in the face.
Received 268 Likes on 152 Posts

How can a person go wrong with that color combo? She's a mighty fine looking automobile.
Old 09-29-2023, 01:26 PM
mudbone64
Le Mans Master

Location: I'd like to propose a toast... to internal combustion and wind in the face.
Received 268 Likes on 152 Posts

Personally, I wouldn't start that car until I had that gas tank sorted out. I'd either re-seal or just purchase a new tank complete with the fuel sender. There's no since in subjecting your carb to all of that rust.
Old 09-29-2023, 02:01 PM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,342 Likes on 974 Posts

Beautiful car that looks complete. That tank looks doubtful. If you replace it, I would go with a Quanta tank. They are correct in every way. The sender looks to have seen better days. A quick way to check the sender is to put a battery in the car and turn the key to on. Don't crank the starter. Use a coat hanger to nudge the float on the tank to see if the fuel gauge moves. If it does, you are in luck. On your list of items to buy, include a filer/sock for the sender as well as a float. You will also need an O-ring for the tank sender. The Quanta tank may have one. If the car has been sitting a very long time, consider rebuilding the fuel pump as the diaphragm may be dried out and shot. Good luck with the rebuild. Keep the pictures coming. Jerry
Old 09-29-2023, 02:57 PM
jbrentd
Advanced

Originally Posted by mudbone64
How can a person go wrong with that color combo? She's a mighty fine looking automobile.
Thank you! I am quite partial to the color combo.

Originally Posted by mudbone64
Personally, I wouldn't start that car until I had that gas tank sorted out. I'd either re-seal or just purchase a new tank complete with the fuel sender. There's no since in subjecting your carb to all of that rust.
Originally Posted by Tampa Jerry
Beautiful car that looks complete. That tank looks doubtful. If you replace it, I would go with a Quanta tank. They are correct in every way. The sender looks to have seen better days. A quick way to check the sender is to put a battery in the car and turn the key to on. Don't crank the starter. Use a coat hanger to nudge the float on the tank to see if the fuel gauge moves. If it does, you are in luck. On your list of items to buy, include a filer/sock for the sender as well as a float. You will also need an O-ring for the tank sender. The Quanta tank may have one. If the car has been sitting a very long time, consider rebuilding the fuel pump as the diaphragm may be dried out and shot. Good luck with the rebuild. Keep the pictures coming. Jerry
I agree with not trashing a newly rebuilt carburetor. To be safe, I think I will add a new tank and components to my parts list. I see Zip has the Quanta tank, but it doesn't come in kit form. And CC has the kit, but not with the Quanta tank.
Old 09-29-2023, 03:01 PM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,342 Likes on 974 Posts

I went directly to Quanta. They may have both. Jerry
Old 09-29-2023, 03:16 PM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Received 5,020 Likes on 2,537 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Welcome, and you have a great start on your project. It's gorgeous already.

Be aware that on a car this age, wiring insulation sometimes deteriorates. Not saying you should rush right out and replace everything, but always keep an eye on wiring as you poke around, and if you DO encounter an electrical problem, be suspicious there could be more. That thing is red enough, you don't need to burn it up.

Good luck and keep us posted. Before retirement I sometimes used to pass not far from you on my way out to Clinton to work, I grew to like the beauty of your state.
Old 09-29-2023, 03:34 PM
plaidside
Safety Car

Received 1,136 Likes on 556 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

When you drain the coolant remove the two 1/4" pipe block plugs, you will be surprised how much coolant comes out. Most of the time I have to punch through the crud to get the coolant out. One time I did a 64 and there where no pipe plugs in the block! The crud is all that kept the coolant from leaking.
As far as parts, most non-specific Cortette parts can be sourced from your local parts store, eg.
NAPA.
Old 09-29-2023, 04:31 PM
jbrentd
Advanced

Originally Posted by Railroadman
Welcome, and you have a great start on your project. It's gorgeous already.

Be aware that on a car this age, wiring insulation sometimes deteriorates. Not saying you should rush right out and replace everything, but always keep an eye on wiring as you poke around, and if you DO encounter an electrical problem, be suspicious there could be more. That thing is red enough, you don't need to burn it up.

Good luck and keep us posted. Before retirement I sometimes used to pass not far from you on my way out to Clinton to work, I grew to like the beauty of your state.
Originally Posted by plaidside
When you drain the coolant remove the two 1/4" pipe block plugs, you will be surprised how much coolant comes out. Most of the time I have to punch through the crud to get the coolant out. One time I did a 64 and there where no pipe plugs in the block! The crud is all that kept the coolant from leaking.
As far as parts, most non-specific Cortette parts can be sourced from your local parts store, eg.
NAPA.
Thank you both for the tips! Always appreciated.

Just placed a good sized order with Zip for most everything I think I need for the brakes and gas tank. Went ahead and got that tank from them since they have free shipping right now and the extra 10% discount.
Old 09-29-2023, 05:30 PM
slwhittenburg
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Love the car, I have a couple of 64s. You might want to replace the various gaskets that are part of the fuel system (such as the fuel pump). I fthey are original or nearly so the ethanol in a lot of modern gas will dissolve them and you'll get leaking gas (ask me how I know). I'm still not convinced that "ethanol-free" gasoline really is at all pumps!
Old 09-29-2023, 05:46 PM
ChrisBlair
Melting Slicks

Received 1,010 Likes on 514 Posts

I'm very sorry to learn of your Father's passing.
Old 09-29-2023, 06:36 PM
Westlotorn
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,299 Likes on 829 Posts

When you drain and flush the block be sure to flush the heater core but be careful, they are only designed to hold 15 pounds of pressure, a garden hose may have 60 psi and can blow one out that was in good condition.

Call me silly but if that tank was holding fuel perfectly without leaking I think I would install an in line fuel filter to catch any particles and fill it up and run it. I just drained a 1955, the old gas had been sitting for many years, came out clean, old and not useable but it flowed out clean so the tank is still in use. There will always be some dirt in the bottom of an old gas tank. Rust flakes I would worry about, but a little dirt is normal. You can't put gas in a car 1,000 times and not introduce some dirt to the tank.

You car and color combo are beautiful. Great Car and great story.

Mark
Old 09-29-2023, 10:03 PM
Patrick03
64's Rock!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 781 Likes on 438 Posts

Zip and Corvette Central are both good vendors. Though it should be noted that they are actually owned by the same company now, but, that doesn't detract from the parts they provide. I also use Summit for non-corvette specific parts. A local NAPA could be good as well.

Sounds like you are off to a good start! Keep us posted.
Old 09-29-2023, 11:14 PM
deejaydu
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 339 Posts

I am amazed at how white those whitewalls are. What brand are they and how old are they? Beautiful car.

Get notified of new replies

To Getting my '64 Roadster back on the road

Old 09-30-2023, 08:03 PM
Dave Tracy
Melting Slicks

Received 296 Likes on 184 Posts

With very little effort, you are going to have a great car to enjoy.
The following users liked this post:
ChrisBlair (10-01-2023)
Old 10-01-2023, 06:08 PM
jbrentd
Advanced

Originally Posted by slwhittenburg
Love the car, I have a couple of 64s. You might want to replace the various gaskets that are part of the fuel system (such as the fuel pump). I fthey are original or nearly so the ethanol in a lot of modern gas will dissolve them and you'll get leaking gas (ask me how I know). I'm still not convinced that "ethanol-free" gasoline really is at all pumps!
Good point on the new gaskets. Are most of you guys using ethanol free 91/93 (91 in my area)?

Originally Posted by ChrisBlair
I'm very sorry to learn of your Father's passing.
Thank you 🙏

Originally Posted by Westlotorn
When you drain and flush the block be sure to flush the heater core but be careful, they are only designed to hold 15 pounds of pressure, a garden hose may have 60 psi and can blow one out that was in good condition.

Call me silly but if that tank was holding fuel perfectly without leaking I think I would install an in line fuel filter to catch any particles and fill it up and run it. I just drained a 1955, the old gas had been sitting for many years, came out clean, old and not useable but it flowed out clean so the tank is still in use. There will always be some dirt in the bottom of an old gas tank. Rust flakes I would worry about, but a little dirt is normal. You can't put gas in a car 1,000 times and not introduce some dirt to the tank.

You car and color combo are beautiful. Great Car and great story.

Mark
Thank you. I was picking up lots of rust flakes when I was siphoning the gas out of the tank.

Originally Posted by deejaydu
I am amazed at how white those whitewalls are. What brand are they and how old are they? Beautiful car.
They are Michelins. They say Radial X and All Season on them. They have very few miles on them but I’m sure they’re pretty old. not sure if these markings tell us anything.

Originally Posted by Patrick03
Zip and Corvette Central are both good vendors. Though it should be noted that they are actually owned by the same company now, but, that doesn't detract from the parts they provide. I also use Summit for non-corvette specific parts. A local NAPA could be good as well.

Sounds like you are off to a good start! Keep us posted.
Thanks for the info!

Originally Posted by Dave Tracy
With very little effort, you are going to have a great car to enjoy.
That is my hope!
Old 10-01-2023, 09:06 PM
deejaydu
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 339 Posts

Yes that is the date code of the tires. I am not sure how to read it but they might be from 2007. That would explain why the whitewalls have stayed so white. The whitewall process has changed and now they become brown walls. Your car is beautiful.

Jay

Quick Reply: [C2] Getting my '64 Roadster back on the road