C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C1] Spare Tire Jack Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2024, 07:39 PM
mcob1961
5th Gear
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spare Tire Jack Question

Hello,
I have had my C1 for about a month now. Being that is was a beautiful day in Eastern NC on Easter Sunday, I took my wife out for ice cream in the Vette. My right rear tire blew out. Totally shredded. I put the spare on and that blew out - again totally shredded. I called a friend who has a C3 and he brought over an extra tire that he had and it barely fit on the right rear. It was enough to get me home. As I jacked up the car, the scissor jack I used barely got the car off the ground but I was able to put my friends tire on.

Question is - I need to purchase a spare tire jack. Any recommendations?

I did order 5 new tires.

Best,
-Michael O'Brien
Old 04-04-2024, 08:57 PM
chollopeter
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Where did you place the jack? Is it a corvette jack or at least a replica? Here is the jacking instructions:

Carl H

Old 04-04-2024, 09:12 PM
R66
Le Mans Master

Received 1,545 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Let's face it, scissor jacks are dangerous unless you are on a hard surface as the base is too narrow and will roll over with very little movement of the car. I weld a 1/4" plate 6" x 6" or larger on the jack base, but I also have a 6 ton hydraulic bottle jack with a plate on the bottom and pad on the top that I carry on longer runs as it is normally in my truck. You still have to crawl under the car to put them under the axle.
I also have a small 1-1/2 ton floor jack that is better, but also carry a 2x6 x 14" to put it on.
IF you continue with the scissor jack, I recommend you attach a plate to the base or at least carry a piece of plate to set it on.
Old 04-04-2024, 09:15 PM
chris ritchie
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

For my '62, I use the Norco 82002C scissors jack. Very close to the original factory jack. Inexpensive too. Fits in the spare tire like the original.
The following 2 users liked this post by chris ritchie:
dcamick (04-06-2024), silfox (04-05-2024)
Old 04-05-2024, 04:42 PM
mcob1961
5th Gear
Support Corvetteforum!

Thank you all for your replies!

I placed the jack under the rear axle. It is not an original/reproduction jack. Just a cheap scissor jack that came with the car. I like the idea of welding a plate under the jack or at least carrying one.

Best,
-Michael O'Brien
Old 04-05-2024, 04:54 PM
R66
Le Mans Master

If you want to carry the jack in the original location, you can drill and tap a 1/4" plate for 3/8" bolts at the edge of the jack baseplate on each side and use 1/4" thick washers or dogs to hold the jack to the plate. If you don't care about original, just drill holes in the jack baseplate for the bolts. The bigger the plate the better, but should be at least equal to the length of the jack and extend a couple of inches on each side to stabilize the jack. A hole in the middle lets you store the plate on the spare tire retainer.
Safer for you and your car.
A chunk of 2x12 can also be used, but sometimes the thickness becomes a problem. You also need to run the bolts thru the 2x12 and use large washers.
Just ideas to keep you awake at night.
Old 04-05-2024, 05:22 PM
chollopeter
Instructor

I carry a 12" dia. piece of 3/4" plywood (coated with truck bed coating) and el cheapo wheel chocks from Walmart. Do the same in my F-150, never had the jack sink and if the vehicle is chocked there is no movement to allow the jack to tip over. In any case don't get under with just the jack supporting the vehicle. "Emergency tire changes only"

Carl H
Old 04-05-2024, 05:28 PM
chollopeter
Instructor

While we are on the subject, in case anyone needs one:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/19610910331...3312&recoPos=1

Carl H
Old 04-06-2024, 06:58 AM
mcob1961
5th Gear
Support Corvetteforum!

Being new to the Corvette world and new to this forum, I am seeing what a great forum this is! Again thank you for the ideas. I will be up at night thinking.

I definitely need to upgrade my jack and I like what Chris suggested - Norco 82002C scissors jack. I am looking at this.

Best,
-Michael O'Brien
Old 04-06-2024, 08:44 AM
phil2302
Melting Slicks

Received 1,017 Likes on 579 Posts

Originally Posted by mcob1961
Hello,
I have had my C1 for about a month now. Being that is was a beautiful day in Eastern NC on Easter Sunday, I took my wife out for ice cream in the Vette. My right rear tire blew out. Totally shredded. I put the spare on and that blew out - again totally shredded. .............................
I did order 5 new tires.
Best,
-Michael O'Brien
I would be willing to bet the tires that were on your car were 15-20 years old, maybe older.
Thankfully you were not hurt or worse. Shame on the seller for not giving you a heads up.
Alls well that ends well. Enjoy your car!
Old 04-06-2024, 09:03 AM
R66
Le Mans Master

A couple of practices I was taught related to use of scissor and bumper jacks might save someone from injury or aggravation especially using a scissor jack when you have to get under the car.
1. find a hard level surface for the car / jack before attempting the change. Make sure the emergency brakes are set and chock the front wheel if possible.
2. remove the spare tire from the carrier and place it under the car frame or body in front of the flat tire.
3. break the lugs loose and put the jack in place, then jack the car up.
4. remove the flat tire and place it behind the wheel well or front under the car frame or body.
5. then remove the spare from under the can and mount the spare tire.
6. lower the car and remove the flat from under the car and final torque the lug nuts.

Having the tire/wheel under the car during the tire change will prevent the car from dropping to the ground should the jack fail. This will allow the jack to be reinstalled. Also, if you are under the car, this could eliminate or at least minimize injury.

Of course AAA or other insurance is much easier, but I made both kids and a grandchild learn to change a tire before they got their license. For those that have never had to change a tire, this may help.
Old 04-06-2024, 09:11 AM
cbernhardt
Safety Car

Received 836 Likes on 456 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

My wife and I were driving home from the first Vettes & Jets on the Lex show (2007) on I65 in southern Alabama. Left rear tire blew. I had a spare but my small hydraulic jack would not fit under the suspension (C4 suspension). I found an old fence post and a small piece of post alongside the road and rigged a lever that raised the rear suspension enough to get my jack under the rear hub. Now I carry a scissor jack.

Old 04-06-2024, 05:17 PM
Bill Pilon
Burning Brakes

Received 223 Likes on 138 Posts

I have a small hydraulic scissors jack that I bought at a yard sale, it came in a plastic carrying case and works really well and is quite stable, it has a brand name "mack" on it is the only one I have ever seen.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Spare Tire Jack Question

Quick Reply: [C1] Spare Tire Jack Question