C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Engine Rebuild Advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2024, 06:11 PM
AdrianTW
Instructor

Received 95 Likes on 21 Posts

Forum Friends,
I have appreciated the advice. Thank you. After reading some great articles from you and other sources on the web I think I have a plan and am ready to get things moving. I was hoping for some feedback on whether or not this plan is feasible.

At first, my engine build goal was to make sure everything was in good order and rebuild as is while replacing any parts that need attention. Since then, I have decided to replace my non-stock heads with the Trick Flow Aluminum 461 copy cats. This decision has added quite a bit of scope creep to my build project. I have also thought that while the engine is all torn down, that it would be a good time to add an L79 cam and convert the engine to a 327/350 HP L79 engine (clone/tribute). There was a thread that was posted here (thread), where vark_wso mentioned all of the parts that would be needed to convert a 300HP 327 to an L79 spec. Specifically, the thread talks about swapping the intake manifold.

With the bill spend looming, I have considered pivoting to a middle ground. While I still want to do a full L79 clone, I could spread out some of the costs of this conversion by deferring the cost of the intake and other exterior changes (fuel pump, fuel line, radiator hose, oil fill tube...) to later in the build process. The thought is that I could still drive the car and put money saved toward other areas on the Corvette that need attention - body, paint, interior, etc... Then, after I have the Corvette back on the road, I could add the L79 intake and all its various parts to get the full benefit of the L79 internals.

The big question - am I going to run into any issues (other than HP loss) by running the 300HP intake with the L79 cam?
Old 04-19-2024, 06:28 PM
mrg
Safety Car

Received 552 Likes on 319 Posts

Then, after I have the Corvette back on the road, I could add the L79 intake and all its various parts to get the full benefit of the L79 internals.

The big question - am I going to run into any issues (other than HP loss) by running the 300HP intake with the L79 cam?
The cast iron 359 intake manifold flows fairly well. You shouldn’t have any problem using this manifold in the interim while you get all the other things sorted out first.

John
Old 04-20-2024, 12:10 AM
silver837
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,017 Likes on 809 Posts

Be sure to upgrade your connecting rod and rebalance your rotating assembly .
The following users liked this post:
AdrianTW (04-20-2024)
Old 04-22-2024, 06:35 PM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

Received 560 Likes on 453 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by AdrianTW
Forum Friends,
I have appreciated the advice. Thank you. After reading some great articles from you and other sources on the web I think I have a plan and am ready to get things moving. I was hoping for some feedback on whether or not this plan is feasible.

At first, my engine build goal was to make sure everything was in good order and rebuild as is while replacing any parts that need attention. Since then, I have decided to replace my non-stock heads with the Trick Flow Aluminum 461 copy cats. This decision has added quite a bit of scope creep to my build project. I have also thought that while the engine is all torn down, that it would be a good time to add an L79 cam and convert the engine to a 327/350 HP L79 engine (clone/tribute). There was a thread that was posted here (thread), where vark_wso mentioned all of the parts that would be needed to convert a 300HP 327 to an L79 spec. Specifically, the thread talks about swapping the intake manifold.

With the bill spend looming, I have considered pivoting to a middle ground. While I still want to do a full L79 clone, I could spread out some of the costs of this conversion by deferring the cost of the intake and other exterior changes (fuel pump, fuel line, radiator hose, oil fill tube...) to later in the build process. The thought is that I could still drive the car and put money saved toward other areas on the Corvette that need attention - body, paint, interior, etc... Then, after I have the Corvette back on the road, I could add the L79 intake and all its various parts to get the full benefit of the L79 internals.

No you will not have any issues. Its more about the heads than the intake. Send it.
Old 04-23-2024, 01:37 AM
L78
Burning Brakes

Received 436 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by AdrianTW
At first, my engine build goal was to make sure everything was in good order and rebuild as is while replacing any parts that need attention. Since then, I have decided to replace my non-stock heads with the Trick Flow Aluminum 461 copy cats. This decision has added quite a bit of scope creep to my build project.

With the bill spend looming, I have considered pivoting to a middle ground. While I still want to do a full L79 clone, I could spread out some of the costs of this conversion by deferring the cost of the intake and other exterior changes (fuel pump, fuel line, radiator hose, oil fill tube...) to later in the build process. The thought is that I could still drive the car and put money saved toward other areas on the Corvette…
just another suggested option…

find another 327 block to build…. Take your time, gather parts, all while still having your Corvette driveable…. And then have a relatively easy swap…

In the past 2 years, I have picked up two bare 327 blocks for my 67, and I was picky about the correct casting number (not do much about dates). with the exception of my current intake (490), and accessories (carb,dist, pulleys, etc), everything will be new anyway. Well, I might get a new non-dented oil pan…. Both blocks were under $200 each…. I am starting to gather parts based on Gearhead Joes article.

unless you have it judged, you could pick up any 62-67 327 block (look for a Flint block)…. Then consider adding a 350 or 383 crank…. The TF DHC heads, take time to search out your intake.

others here have mentioned new rods, the new heads. A block and crank would be one of the few extras that might not be needed in a regular rebuild.

Old 04-23-2024, 08:56 AM
Con
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 228 Likes on 138 Posts

I just rebuilt a 327/300. Although more risk, MORE DECISIONS, and cost about equal, I'd do it again over a crate blueprint.
When I was looking, I recall PopChevy had a pair of 461 heads for sale that were ready to install. Check the C1 C2 Parts for sale forum.

Quick Reply: [C2] Engine Rebuild Advice