C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Long distance purchase of my first classic car

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2024, 07:04 PM
polo91
Drifting

Received 1,060 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by C2vettelover
Hello, My plan is to take my C2 to nearby car shows and take it out periodically for that Sunday afternoon drive. I know buying one with an L79 would probably be the most practical purchase, but you know how that is, it's hard to resist the lure of the big block (L36 or L68 - don't want to deal with the nonsense of solid lifters since I'm no mechanic!) so I haven't ruled that out. Your thoughts?
First of all, I love owning and driving a C2, and I don't want to rain on anyone's parade. If you only drive it occasionally and don't have some mechanical knowledge and knowhow a C2 can eat you up. Trust me, if it is not driven regularly, it will be hard to start, won't run good, will leak, and something will be wrong with it much of the time. You may need AAA on speed dial. That being said, a well sorted C2 driven often and maintained is a pleasure. A C4 and later can sit for months, hit the key and drive off, no problem. A C2, not so much. I dare say for most of us, maintaining our C2s is part of the deal. If you do get a C2, learning what makes it tick and working on it can be very rewarding.

Last edited by polo91; 05-07-2024 at 08:02 PM.
Old 05-07-2024, 07:32 PM
WVSteve
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

For what its worth, I bought a 66 convertible on eBay about a year and a half ago. Paid 57. After WV tax almost 60K even. I love the car but I am a bit annal in that I wanted to make everything good. Interior was OK but a bit tatty. 7k later it was new (actually 7500). Spent a couple K more fixing brakes, leaking manifold, etc. Then the bigger cost was new wiring harnesses, clock, radio, etc. I know the best bet in buying any old "classic" is to pay more at the beginning to benefit from the previous owner's dumping too much money into his classic. The problem (stupidity) for many of us is that we would like to think we are spending less and to ignore what we will spend later. From what I have seen I think a really good Vette at $80K is probably the best bet now. I think I have learned a lot from my 1951 ****** Wagon. Then again, maybe not.
Old 05-07-2024, 09:14 PM
Skenn1977
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Good luck on your search. I live just outside of Milwaukee and bought a C2 from the east coast a couple of years ago (my first vintage car). You've gotten lots of good advice. If I was to pass along anything it would be a) have patience - if you work at it your future car will find you, b) vet the seller and what history you can on the car, it's amazing how much information is available on these cars and the network of knowledgable people willing to help, c) get an expert (NCRS was great for me) in finding someone to do a PPI. There is an excellent dealer/mechanic around Boulder Junction. Don't see a 66-67 right now, has nice 65 fueler and killer C3 for sale. But has a knack for finding really good cars.
Old 05-08-2024, 09:51 AM
C2vettelover
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you all for your input. This certainly gives me a lot to absorb and think about. I'm amazed at how this group is so willing to share their time and experiences with others. A true testiment to their passion for classic cars. INVALUABLE is the best way to describe this forum!

Quick Reply: [C2] Long distance purchase of my first classic car