C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C1] Streaks on white wall

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2024, 04:20 PM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

Received 133 Likes on 66 Posts

Default Streaks on white wall - mystery solved!!

I keep getting these streaks on my white walls. Yesterday I cleaned them up...drove 3 miles down the road to get gas, and they were back.

Anyone have ideas on what might be causing this? They seem to be coming between the tire and rim.

Last edited by jusplainwacky; 06-03-2024 at 05:03 PM.
Old 05-13-2024, 05:23 PM
JF in MI
Drifting
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,335 Likes on 503 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Same here. Let us know what you find.
Old 05-13-2024, 06:20 PM
leif.anderson93
Le Mans Master

Received 3,275 Likes on 1,924 Posts

Could be streaks of grease coming from the wheel bearings.
Old 05-13-2024, 06:53 PM
dplotkin
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,177 Likes on 1,053 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C2 of Year Finalist (stock)
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by jusplainwacky
I keep getting these streaks on my white walls. Yesterday I cleaned them up...drove 3 miles down the road to get gas, and they were back.

Anyone have ideas on what might be causing this? They seem to be coming between the tire and rim.
Does this happen after you wash the car, or within a day of washing your car? Water trapped between the rubber and the rim, or wheel cover and rim will get slung outwards from centrifugal force. I get that on my Caddy if i've washed the car or just the wheels. Does it happen stone dry? Then I'd be looking for grease, missing dust cap and so forth.

Dan
The following users liked this post:
ptuner11 (06-04-2024)
Old 05-13-2024, 08:44 PM
thoyer
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 394 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by dplotkin
Water trapped between the rubber and the rim, or wheel cover and rim will get slung outwards from centrifugal force.

Happens on my 60 if I drive it right after cleaning the rims / tires. Annoying to say the least. I've used compressed air to blow it out but them it needs cleaning again...........

Tom
Old 05-14-2024, 08:54 AM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

Does this happen after you wash the car, or within a day of washing your car? Water trapped between the rubber and the rim, or wheel cover and rim will get slung outwards from centrifugal force. I get that on my Caddy if i've washed the car or just the wheels. Does it happen stone dry? Then I'd be looking for grease, missing dust cap and so forth.

Dan
It does not happen after washing the car.
Old 05-14-2024, 08:58 AM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by leif.anderson93
Could be streaks of grease coming from the wheel bearings.
It would seem to be that if it was coming from the wheel bearings, the streaks would be coming out from the hubcap. These appear to be coming out where the rim and tire meet. It also happens on every tire...where the rear tires don't have wheel bearings like the front.
I wonder if it's something having to do with the rubber inside the tire coming out..but that doesn't really make sense either, as I would think I would also be losing air pressure...my air pressure has been rock solid for months.
Old 05-14-2024, 09:45 AM
dplotkin
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,177 Likes on 1,053 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C2 of Year Finalist (stock)
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by jusplainwacky
It would seem to be that if it was coming from the wheel bearings, the streaks would be coming out from the hubcap. These appear to be coming out where the rim and tire meet. It also happens on every tire...where the rear tires don't have wheel bearings like the front.
I wonder if it's something having to do with the rubber inside the tire coming out..but that doesn't really make sense either, as I would think I would also be losing air pressure...my air pressure has been rock solid for months.
Its water & dirt being flung, water from condensation, rain water, water from a puddle, irrigation system, but if it isn't grease, its water.

Dan
Old 05-21-2024, 12:32 AM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

Its water & dirt being flung, water from condensation, rain water, water from a puddle, irrigation system, but if it isn't grease, its water.

Dan
I cleaned the white walls and let the car sit for a couple of weeks in the garage....then took it for a ride and the steaks showed up, so it's not water or condensation.
I also don't think it's grease cause there is no grease/streaks on the hubcap or the rim. If there was streaks just on the front tires and not on the back, I'd be more receptive to the idea it's grease from the wheel bearings...but this is not the case.
I think it's something inside the tire that is seeping out between the rim and tire. When I have a chance, I'm going to take it to the tire shop and have the tire removed to see if it's something inside the tire that is seeping out.
Old 05-21-2024, 02:51 PM
scowser
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 43 Posts

I think it would help to determine if the streaks are oil-based or water-based. This would indicate where to start looking.

If you touch it with your finger and then rub your thumb and finger together does it feel slippery? If so, it's likely oil-based. If you get a drop of water on your finger and then lightly smear the streak, does the streak readily mix with the water and smear out equally? If so, it's likely water-based. If not, it's likely oil-based.

One possible explanation occurs to me. Many people use a lubricating liquid when installing tires. This liquid will slosh around in the bottle but, when out of the bottle, will quickly dry out and leave a thick sticky goo. The goo can then mix with water flow again. If the person who installed your tires used this lubricant and was over-generous, the goo that dried out in the crack between the tire and the rim, will not move if kept dry but, as soon as exposed to water will start to run and spin out of the crack when the tire rotates. If this is the case, a good scrubbing of the crack with water and a scrub brush should solve the problem.
Old 05-21-2024, 02:53 PM
R66
Le Mans Master

Received 1,590 Likes on 1,074 Posts

My guess:
A good tire shop will lubricate the bead on the new tire with rubber lube / thick soap to help it slide onto the rim. That bucket of rubber lube turns brown to black as the mop / brush used to apply it is not washed between tires. The rubber lube on the outside of the bead is trapped between the tire bead and the rim and may stay there until the sidewall flexes during a drive and it escapes due to centrifugal force force creating your streaks. Are you getting streaks on the inside of your tire also?
You could deflate the tire and break the bead and then wash out the excess rubber lube to eliminate the problem. Don't break both front and rear bead at the same time as you may disturb the balance of the tire / rim.
Talk to your tire shop and see if they don't use a rubber lube.
Old 05-22-2024, 11:06 AM
C2CorvetteBob
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 31 Posts

I had the same thing on the new whitewalls on my 55 Chevy. After I set the tire pressure where it was supposed to be, the problem went away.
Old 05-22-2024, 11:43 AM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by C2CorvetteBob
I had the same thing on the new whitewalls on my 55 Chevy. After I set the tire pressure where it was supposed to be, the problem went away.
Interesting....The tire pressure is set to what it states on the side wall. I plan to take it to the tire shop and see if they can figure it out.
Also, it's not water as some people continue to suggest. And I don't think it's grease either for the reasons I have already expressed.
Old 05-22-2024, 12:31 PM
scowser
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 43 Posts

If it's not grease and it's not water, I wonder if the heat build-up in the tire as it rolls, is enough to allow the goo in posts 10 and 11 to start to move with the centifugal force.

It wouldn't do any harm to give a good scrub to the gap between the rim and the tire with soap and water, and you might solve the problem right there.

Last edited by scowser; 05-22-2024 at 12:34 PM. Reason: correction
Old 06-03-2024, 05:18 PM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

OK....figured it out!

It's not grease (in the typical sense of the word, say from the wheel bearings), nor is it water, say from a puddle.

You ever come across a problem, and you think, WTF??? And it turns out to actually be simple? Well, this is one of those cases.

What causes this is dirt between the tire and the rim, and the more you clean off these streaks, the worse you make the problem! I used "Wet Tire" to clean mine.

When you clean off the streaks, the liquid cleaner goes between the tire and the rim, only to come out after you clean them.

So, here is the solution...
1. Cleaning one tire at a time...jack up the car to get the tire off the ground
2. While turning the wheel spray a degreaser around the tire where it meets the rim
3. Use a fingernail brush and go between the tire and the rim - I not only used this but also a brass soft brush cause my rims are powder coated. And then I used a VERY TINY flat blade screw driver and went around where the tire and the rim meet (probably wasn't necessary).
4. Using a pressure washer, spray between the tire and the rim where they meet while rotating the tire.
5. Take it for a ride and say, "I'll be dang"!!

These streaks have been going on for year and it's really a PITA! Every time I get to a car show, I show up with this beautiful 58 and the tires look like ****. And what's worse, is to be at the show and forget to clean them! It will be nice to drive around and have these shiny white wall tires!

Last edited by jusplainwacky; 06-04-2024 at 01:40 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by jusplainwacky:
Leo Guggenbiller (06-03-2024), silver837 (06-04-2024)
Old 06-04-2024, 01:19 AM
silver837
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,036 Likes on 826 Posts

JPW
Glad you got it fixed . See you at Todos Santos in a couple of weeks .
The following users liked this post:
jusplainwacky (06-04-2024)

Get notified of new replies

To Streaks on white wall

Quick Reply: [C1] Streaks on white wall