C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

one wire alternator conversions, ammeters and other guage questions...

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2003, 12:25 AM
blue63vette
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default one wire alternator conversions, ammeters and other guage questions...

Just starting to restore the interior of my coupe, so when I remove the instrument cluster, I will replace the wire harness. My ammeter and the harness to it burnt up a long time prior to my ownership. I have since installed and have been using a one wire alternator. Now that I will have a new harness and guage, is there a slick way to wire the ammeter to work???

Has anyone done their own electronic tach conversion? My tach is broken and I have installed a ZZ4 with HEI, I want to keep the HEI because the distributor has been curved specificly for the ZZ4, plus there is no noisey cable to screw with....

Last question: with the ZZ4, the 60lb oil pressure guage spends most of its time pegged, will this eventually damage the guage or worse yet, cause a severe oil leak at the cluster? It's been this way for three years now.

Thanks for your help!

Dan
Old 02-10-2003, 09:34 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Re: one wire alternator conversions, ammeters and other guage questions... (blue63vette)

You didnt say, so I assume this is the 63?

The amp meter wired in its normal fashion should work just fine with the one wire alternator.

You may be able to have the original guage converted. I used a 75 tach guts and replaced the face on my 66, but that would be much harder with the 63 because of the face and needle differences.

Other than bending the needle it should not hurt the oil gauge. I assume that since it hasnt done that yet, it will not.
Old 02-10-2003, 09:49 PM
kellsdad
Melting Slicks

Received 771 Likes on 402 Posts

Default Re: one wire alternator conversions, ammeters and other guage questions... (blue63vette)

Dan -
If you look at the wiring diagram and consider the alternator and voltage regulator as a single system, you'll see that there is really just one red wire running from that system to a lug on the horn relay. It should not affect how you wire you ammeter. ... I didn't do my own tach conversion, but I did have it done by Roger at Corvette Instrument Service. ... Lastly, my oil pressure also runs around 60 PSI, but as I have an 80 PSI gauge, it's not a problem.
Old 02-11-2003, 02:14 AM
blue63vette
Intermediate

Default Re: one wire alternator conversions, ammeters and other guage questions... (kellsdad)

Yes, this is the '63 thats getting a new harness and instrument cluster update.

Thanks for your answers. For some reason, I assumed that the ammeter wire came from the now missing voltage regulator. I dont know what happened to this car in the past, but the wire harness from the regulator, down to the ammeter was melted together into a big clump. I have had the one wire alt. on this car for 3+ years, but now it's time to fix all of those pesky problems and make the coupe even more pleasurable to drive.
Ever notice that no matter how bad a day youv'e endured, a 15 minute blast in the Vette changes everything???

Dan
Old 02-11-2003, 07:02 PM
grumpy55
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Blue63,
What size tires do you run?
Did you have to modify the fenders?
Old 02-12-2003, 02:24 AM
blue63vette
Intermediate

Default Re: one wire alternator conversions, ammeters and other guage questions... (grumpy55)

Grumpy 55,

The tires are 215x60x16 front, 225x60x16 rear, don't remember the back spacing but my fenders are uncut or modified. The left rear does rub on occaision, but did not untill I installed disc brakes which pushed the wheels out another 3/16-1/4".
I could adjust the rear camber to compensate but have not. The tires would probablly not touch at all, but I have lowered the car by cutting one front coil and installing longer bolts on the rear spring. Even with the lowering and the disc brakes, the front tires will rub the body only when blasting into the driveway at speeds faster than normal...

Dan
Old 02-12-2003, 09:56 AM
achapman
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Has anyone done their own electronic tach conversion? My tach is broken and I have installed a ZZ4 with HEI, I want to keep the HEI because the distributor has been curved specificly for the ZZ4, plus there is no noisey cable to screw with....
Thanks for your help!

Dan
Gentry Zentmyer from Auto Instruments quoted me $125 to convert my 63 SWC's tach to electric. www.autoinstruments.com

Also the big electric tach and speedo from Auto Meter will fit in the cluster with some minor modifications. I have seen the white face with black numbers. Looks nice.

:thumbs:

Get notified of new replies

To one wire alternator conversions, ammeters and other guage questions...

Quick Reply: one wire alternator conversions, ammeters and other guage questions...