C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Small block U-joint question

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2003, 03:12 PM
Brutal64
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Small block U-joint question

I pulled the driveshaft and half shafts last week and had the U-joints replaced. While reinstalling the driveshaft this morning I noticed the rear U-joint isn't as wide as the differential yoke, I have 1/8" to 1/4" gap on each side of the U-joint cap before it hits the outer yoke flange. The U-joint is the correct size for the driveshaft yoke but to narrow for the diff yoke. The clamps contact only the outer half of each cap. The front U-joint is the same size as the tranny yoke so I assume there isn't a difference between the two.

I purchased the U-joints from Zip and there was no differentiating between front and rear U-joints so I assume they are the same. So I guess my question is: Do I have an incorrect differential yoke? A BB yoke perhaps?

Thanks
Steve
Old 05-31-2003, 05:49 PM
plaidside
Safety Car

Received 1,126 Likes on 553 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Default Re: Small block U-joint question (Brutal64)

Could you go back to the place where the u-joints were replaced and get the old ones to match up? On the rear yoke is there two tangs that would hold the u-joint from comming out? If not you might have a yoke that should take the larger u-joint with inside clips. I have seen this on some 12 bolt rears.
They do make a u-joint that has the outside clips on one side and the inside clips on the other. If you need a part number let me know.
Old 05-31-2003, 08:49 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Re: Small block U-joint question (plaidside)

The U joints should be the same front and rear and there are no differences in BB and SB. If they dont fit, someone has changed the rear and used the wrong flange for your car.

[Modified by wombvette, 7:51 PM 5/31/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To Small block U-joint question

Quick Reply: Small block U-joint question