C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Mini Starter Installation

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2003, 11:19 AM
soppeng
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Mini Starter Installation

I bought a GM Performance mini-starter for my 65 coupe to replace a rebuilt unit that doesn't want to work after the engine heats up. The original starter has the following terminals: B-battery, S- switch, and R-coil and a terminal with a wire to the internal part of the starter. The mini starter only has three. One for the battery connection, one for the switch and one where the wire to the inside of the starter is tied in. There is another teminal that is soldered to the terminal with the wire connection to the inside of the starter. Should the coil connection attache to the wire going inside the starter? Any help would be appreciated. I don't want to burn up the starter.
Old 07-04-2003, 11:21 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Re: Mini Starter Installation (soppeng)

Unfortunately the mini starters were not made for non electronic applications and thus do not have provisions for the R coil terminal. It is probably unnecessary to use that R terminal wire anyway so just leave is off. If you happen to experience any problems with ignition at start up, you might want to try to wire into the starter.
Old 07-05-2003, 02:20 PM
Desertvette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen this problem brought up before and if I were installing a mini starter I would install a ford solenoid.
This has 2 benefits 1 being placement of a power source away from the heat and 2nd an R terminal for your points ignition.
There is a second alternative and that would be a conversion to an electronics ignition as brought up Wombvette
LOL Bob
Old 07-06-2003, 11:33 AM
Biggus Blockus
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Unfortunately the mini starters were not made for non electronic applications and thus do not have provisions for the R coil terminal. It is probably unnecessary to use that R terminal wire anyway so just leave is off. If you happen to experience any problems with ignition at start up, you might want to try to wire into the starter.

:iagree:

I did the same install with my Camaro - no "R" connection. I just put a bunch of electrical tape over the end of my "R" wire and let it hang! No problems so far and the hot-soak problem is gone! I too had the same concerns you did.
No worries! :thumbs:
Old 07-06-2003, 12:17 PM
StrayDog
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Re: Mini Starter Installation (Desertvette)

As Desertvette sugested the Ford type remote solenoid is a good solution, my 66 big/block had a persistant hot start problem,& a mini started helped >>>but the solonoid still soaks up the heat due to its location near exhaust , I got the remote solenoid kit from Summit ,for about 25 bucks, it included everthing ......in my case I mounted solinoid on firewall on passenger side ....(3 years ago), no hot start situations since & I also have electronic (MSD) ignition.worked :smash: for me.the dog. :steering: :seeya :flag

Get notified of new replies

To Mini Starter Installation

Quick Reply: Mini Starter Installation