C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Is stinger hood supposed to be open at the scoop?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2003, 04:21 PM
midyearguy
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is stinger hood supposed to be open at the scoop?

I just got my new hood for my '67 SB, I ordered the BB hood. The front of the scoop is closed, aren't they supposed to be open or is it just for clearance? Also there is a piece taped underneath, what is that for?
Old 07-23-2003, 04:37 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,167 Likes on 486 Posts

Default Re: Is stinger hood supposed to be open at the scoop? (james75)

It's open on the '67 hood on my '64. Of couse I had to knock out the fiberglass insert and cut/grind away the chrome piece leaving only the two chrome triangles and top chrome strip. This may not be for the faint at heart as you need to chisel out the fiberglass insert. (Or you could just drill a bunch of holes through it.)

The only '67s delivered with functional hood scoops were the L88s. The rest of the scoops were just for clearence. On '65/'66 hoods, I believe that you can more easily remove a block-out under the chrome hood vents.
Old 07-23-2003, 05:13 PM
stngry63
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Is stinger hood supposed to be open at the scoop? (toddalin)

I recently saw a '67 L-88 at the 50th in Nashville, and the stinger appeared to be set up for cowl induction. The scoop did not look functional. Since I am not an expert in Corvette correctness, I may be wrong.
Old 07-23-2003, 06:24 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,167 Likes on 486 Posts

Default Re: Is stinger hood supposed to be open at the scoop? (vetsvette2002)

Yes, cowl induction is actually more effective than the forward ram when the port is located close to the surface of the hood.
The following users liked this post:
jerry gollnick (09-20-2016)
Old 07-23-2003, 11:14 PM
REVIVER
Racer

I installed a 67 big block hood on my car before painting it and wish I had bought the insert before painting the hood because I forgot that the insert fits back into the scoop area and the hood has to be cut for it to fit. If you are going to use the insert get it now so you can cut it before you paint or you will be in the same position I am in now. I plan on cutting into the freshly painted hood next week. Wish me luck! :smash: :flag
Old 07-24-2003, 12:17 AM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

Default Re: Is stinger hood supposed to be open at the scoop? (REVIVER)

Jerry you still haven't cut that hole.. :crazy: Let me know when you're gonna do it so I can sell tickets.. Dave..
Old 07-24-2003, 12:55 AM
midyearguy
Racer

What do you have to cut to fit the insert in? Doesn't it just sit in place?
Old 07-24-2003, 04:39 AM
Mikey1
Racer

the front scoop should be always closed.....drivin hard created negative air pressure in that area...so don´t expect added power....the L88 hood had their opening close to the windshield..which is an area of positive pressure...! :cheers:
Old 07-24-2003, 09:48 AM
stngry63
Racer

Default Re: Is stinger hood supposed to be open at the scoop? (Mikey1)

I have heard the same thing that Mikey1 has posted. The front and back of the hood are the high pressure areas. A scoop in the center of the hood can become an air exit if not sealed around the carb and from the rest of the engine compartment. I have seen an aftermarket '67 stinger hood with a small piece to block the front scoop if it is cut open. I guessed this to be so that the hood could have a functional looking forward scoop that really isn't.
Old 07-24-2003, 10:42 AM
REVIVER
Racer

I was thinking the insert sat in place after drilling the three holes for the pins that atach it to the center of the scoop. After Dave went to Zip and brought me the insert I cringed as I pulled it out of the box. The center of the insert is cupped in about an inch and the only way for it to fit flush is to cut the fiberglass out that is in the way so it will slip back in to it. Then I will have to fabricate a bracket to support it. The scoop is not functional as others have said, The insert fills the hole and there is a seal at the back edge of the hood where it meets the firewall. My camera is at work but I will take some photos tomorow and post what I am talking about if that will help. :flag

I dont know about you Dave. First you want me to paint the under side of your decklid and rear panel for ya while you drink my beer. Then you want to sell tickets and profit from my frustrated misery? Im just glad I can be here for your entertainment. ;) I heard you called the other day from Zip. Wish I would have had my list together and got your call. I ordered some stuff I sure could have used this weekend but I dont think it will get here before Monday. Thanks for thinking of me though. Jerry

[Modified by REVIVER, 4:36 PM 7/24/2003]
Old 07-24-2003, 09:23 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

Hey you can't fault a guy for tryin.. I figure at least I can get some enjoyment out of your misery.. that's what friends are for... As for the bracket until I got the trim piece for Jerry I assumed what everyone including him did.. that it just was flush with the front of the faux scoop. Well has anyone else out there done this?? I'm just curious now.. I looked at the Paragon book and it appears flat compared to the one Jerry has. However it also looks like the hood was recessed a bit. Someone with a BB hood please end this shrade.. Dave. :cheers:
Old 09-18-2016, 02:55 PM
pmlyoung
2nd Gear

Default Need help in installing a 67 scoop on a 65 corvette

Originally Posted by REVIVER
I installed a 67 big block hood on my car before painting it and wish I had bought the insert before painting the hood because I forgot that the insert fits back into the scoop area and the hood has to be cut for it to fit. If you are going to use the insert get it now so you can cut it before you paint or you will be in the same position I am in now. I plan on cutting into the freshly painted hood next week. Wish me luck! :flag
You talked about the insert. Can you tell me what insert? I just bought the scoop. Do you mean I also need to buy a separate insert (part ) before I can complete the install?

Thanks
Old 09-18-2016, 02:57 PM
pmlyoung
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by REVIVER
I was thinking the insert sat in place after drilling the three holes for the pins that atach it to the center of the scoop. After Dave went to Zip and brought me the insert I cringed as I pulled it out of the box. The center of the insert is cupped in about an inch and the only way for it to fit flush is to cut the fiberglass out that is in the way so it will slip back in to it. Then I will have to fabricate a bracket to support it. The scoop is not functional as others have said, The insert fills the hole and there is a seal at the back edge of the hood where it meets the firewall. My camera is at work but I will take some photos tomorow and post what I am talking about if that will help. :flag

I dont know about you Dave. First you want me to paint the under side of your decklid and rear panel for ya while you drink my beer. Then you want to sell tickets and profit from my frustrated misery? Im just glad I can be here for your entertainment. I heard you called the other day from Zip. Wish I would have had my list together and got your call. I ordered some stuff I sure could have used this weekend but I dont think it will get here before Monday. Thanks for thinking of me though. Jerry

[Modified by REVIVER, 4:36 PM 7/24/2003]
You talked about the insert. Can you tell me what insert? I just bought the scoop. Do you mean I also need to buy a separate insert (part ) before I can complete the install?

Thanks
Old 09-18-2016, 03:03 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 830 Likes on 574 Posts

13 year old thread....i think its been solved by now...
The following users liked this post:
mike coletta (09-18-2016)
Old 09-18-2016, 04:05 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Originally Posted by pmlyoung

Thanks
Double reply to a 13 year old post.

Start a new thread on the topic to get your question answered.

Get notified of new replies

To Is stinger hood supposed to be open at the scoop?

Quick Reply: Is stinger hood supposed to be open at the scoop?