C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

synthetic grease

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2003, 07:13 PM
mrg
Safety Car

Received 547 Likes on 315 Posts

Default synthetic grease

On the topic of synthetic oil it was mentioned to be superior over it's petroleum based counterpart. Is synthetic grease also a better way to go when regreasing wheel bearings and U-joints instead of using the same as in petroleum based grease.. ? .. Do all traces of petroleum grease have to be removed if synthetic grease is used as a replacement .. . ? ..
I need a good grease that will hold up better in my bike application that won't "dry up" over time. I was wondering what you guys are using .. Thanks ..
mrg
Old 08-11-2003, 07:41 PM
Nicky71
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: synthetic grease (mrg)

To be honest, I personally do not think it makes a difference in an automotive application (i.e. U-joints, ball joints, tie rod ends). Grease is just oil with a soap thickener that enables gradual delivery of oil to the joint through capillary action. THink of grease as a sponge that holds oil. I assume the prinicpal difference between synthetic grease and petroleum-based grease is that synthetic grease contains synthetic oil.

That said, my grease gun is packing some sort of Valvoline synthetic grease (can't remember what it is specifically). Maybe someone with a chemistry and or tribology background can comment as to whether there really is a noticeable difference.
Old 08-11-2003, 08:07 PM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,188 Posts

Default Re: synthetic grease (Nicky71)

Synthetic base greases use a synthetic oil, and it should be more resistant to oxidation and evaporization than petroleum-based oil. Valvoline makes both a full synthetic and semi-sythetic grease, and I think both have about the same drop point, but given the price difference and how long a tube or tub of grease lasts, I'd go with the full synthetic grease.

Whenever repacking wheel bearings or doing other lubrication jobs, it's importat to start with everything squeaky clean, and this should include removal of all the old grease as some are incompatible so it's best not to take a chance. Clean out ALL the old grease.

Duke
Old 08-11-2003, 08:49 PM
kenmo
Le Mans Master

Received 107 Likes on 51 Posts

Default Re: synthetic grease (Nicky71)

Hey Nicky71,

I understand Dennis Gage of My Classic Car has a phd in Chemistry (I also understand he has invented a few consumer products including Pringles chips)...maybe he frequents this forum and can answer your question.....

Get notified of new replies

To synthetic grease

Quick Reply: synthetic grease