C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

I've had a gutfull of this early Vette!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2003, 07:46 PM
59er
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default I've had a gutfull of this early Vette!

Boy have I had a gutfull of this old heap of c##p!

All through the restoration of this thing I've been getting grief and dissapointment.

The most recent dissapointment is that after spending the best part of four weekends and wads of cash restoring my soft top, and being very happy with the result, I left it up for the past month or so just making sure that everything is stretched and seated right.

Well last night I folded it down for the first time in antisipation of a nice morning topdown drive this morning.

First dissapointment is that it is p###ing down with rain.

The second dissapointment is that even after taking major care folding it and covering the whole thing with a bedsheet in order to prevent rubbing between the fabric, covering the stainless tips to avoid scratching of the fabric, placing toweling at the base of the top and between the window and VERY carefully folding the folds to avoid creases in the fabric I have just put it back up onlt to find some scrapes on the window, some small stretches in the window down near where the decklid latches are, and a whole bunch of creases and marks in the fabric.

I'm telling you, this whole exercise has been a waste of time and effort and the sooner I get over this early Vette thing and get rid of it, the sooner I can take up a hobby that is going to give some returns.

So yes I'm P##sed off big time!

Mark :mad :mad :mad :mad :mad :mad :mad :mad :mad :mad :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant:
Old 11-07-2003, 08:15 PM
drd1vette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: I've had a gutfull of this early Vette! (59er)

Wow, sorry to hear you're having such a poor time with it. I have a coupe but always wanted a vert. I guess those early cars were not put together very well. I hope you can get some helpful answers.
Dan
Old 11-07-2003, 09:01 PM
7vettes
Race Director

Location: If I say it's safe to surf this beach ......then it's safe to surf this beach

Hey Mate, it get's easier 2nd, 3rd, 4th time around. A couple months from now you'll be flippin' that top up & down like it was a 6-pack of Fosters... :cheers:
Old 11-07-2003, 09:04 PM
396 RAT
Melting Slicks

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Buy a new car and get it over with.
Lots of folks will be more than happy to help you get rid of it!
You either get it, or you dont.

[Modified by 396 RAT, 8:05 PM 11/7/2003]
Old 11-07-2003, 09:22 PM
RichF
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03, '04 & '05

Default Re: I've had a gutfull of this early Vette! (396 RAT)

Don't let it get you down..... I thinks it's probably next to impossible to keep the clear plastic scratch-free... and the creases will probably go away again after the top is up for a while..... I once picked up my car from my (former)mechanic's only to find bird crap on the clear plastic, which actually kind of ate into the plastic .. talk about frustrating.....
Old 11-07-2003, 09:37 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Re: I've had a gutfull of this early Vette! (RichF)

Quit packing the damn thing full of towells and it might fit the hole.
Old 11-07-2003, 09:40 PM
Viet Nam Vett
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 259 Likes on 183 Posts
2015 C2 of Year
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10, '14-'15

Hang in there 59er...

We here on the forum have all at least once been Pissed off at our cars..
That's why there is a
:rant: and a :mad .

I myself have had many a hammer throwing moment..!!! Just check some of my older posts.. I had this black cloud parked over my Gee-Rage for a few months that caused many frustrating hours.
I finally sent it over to Vorhees Township NJ to "Kid_Aigain's" House. Now he's got it for a while.

Our Corvette's, Yours and mine and the other forum members cars are all part of the Love Hate Relationship we all share here on this Forum.

Take a brake..walk away ...drink some beers.. and soon the bug will bite to go back to her..

:cheers: :thumbs:
Old 11-07-2003, 09:52 PM
STEVES59
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Calm down man,
The top cannot possibley stay perfect. accept the fact it was not designed to. and the marks you are seeing are evidence of a operational componet of a classic car. If you want dead on ***** accurate perfect, then sorry man you cant put that baby down. and if thats your goal how you invision your car thats great but if your going to get sick over it then you may as well sell it and look at a perfect one at a musem (thats not fun to me!) I like driveing my vette an accept "evidence of operation" as part of the hobby thats what this is...Getting a "gutfull" is when your 3 year old son takes a corn scew and decides to carve pictures of horses and bunnys on the drivers side door untill that happens(hopefully never to you) you need rember this is abouat having fun when your not having fun you need to walk away... thats when women come in and when they drive you f@3$$ng nuts you go back to the garage and work on your vett Regards,
SteveZ :cheers:
Old 11-07-2003, 10:23 PM
Milehigh66
Pro

Default Re: I've had a gutfull of this early Vette! (STEVES59)

Calm down man,
The top cannot possibley stay perfect. accept the fact it was not designed to. and the marks you are seeing are evidence of a operational componet of a classic car. If you want dead on ***** accurate perfect, then sorry man you cant put that baby down. and if thats your goal how you invision your car thats great but if your going to get sick over it then you may as well sell it and look at a perfect one at a musem (thats not fun to me!) I like driveing my vette an accept "evidence of operation" as part of the hobby thats what this is...Getting a "gutfull" is when your 3 year old son takes a corn scew and decides to carve pictures of horses and bunnys on the drivers side door untill that happens(hopefully never to you) you need rember this is abouat having fun when your not having fun you need to walk away... thats when women come in and when they drive you f@3$$ng nuts you go back to the garage and work on your vett Regards,
SteveZ :cheers:
Sweet mother of Mary, I couldn't have said it better in a thousand years. :yesnod:

Old 11-07-2003, 10:38 PM
pittsaj
Burning Brakes

:iagree:
Ship it on over here to me..
I need a little more torture in my life right about now :smash: :smash:
I would just love to hate it for you :D

Tony
Old 11-08-2003, 01:38 AM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

Default Re: I've had a gutfull of this early Vette! (pittsaj)

:iagree: (also)

These tops are not designed to last forever! That is why we appreciate a good looking Vette (it only lasts just so long).

I have 2 of the darlings. Right now, my 87 Vette is giving me problems (blown head gasket, and C4 engines are alot more difficult to work on!), but my C1 has been great all year! It just goes with the territory and we have to expect this from Vettes (just like spouses, they need the attention, and have a way of letting us know it).

Plasticman
Old 11-08-2003, 03:24 AM
59er
Pro

Thanks for the responses guys,

I have calmed down a bit now but I just find it difficult sometimes to differentiate between "allowing for inherant shortcomings" and just "making excuses" for these things.

I know that we all have to compromise comfort, handling and practicality to a degree with these "classics" but I just feel like I am trying too hard sometimes to convince myself that it is all worth it.

OK so I guess that I'm just going through the "hate" part of my "Love/Hate" relationship at the moment.

Mark.
Old 11-08-2003, 09:04 AM
TheOman
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Watch out this is the first step off the slippery slope that leads to a trailer queen.

NOTHING IS PERFECT and like it or not the early cars are crude. Body parts don't fit, tops leak, things rattle. If you are going to use the car you gotta expect things are going to happen to it. Other wise if you cannot tolerate things like the window scratches you gotta stop driving it or get rid of it.

Just the other day there was a post about somebody getting dents / scratches in the crossmember on their car during an alignment. While understandable (the anger) you goota accept that stuff like this happens or you gotta do things like alignment yourself. Since doing the alignment is not somnething you do at home ya gotta take it to a shop. If you take it to a shop ya gotta stay there and hover over them (if you are allowed to that is). Just not worth the aaggravation any way ya look at it.

I have a friend with a 65 Chevelle Convert....not a CORVETTE I know but going out in that thing with him is such a chore. Ya gotta pull it out of the garage. take it out from the cover first..then back it out.. Then put the top down, loading in the towels, then ya gotta snap on the boot cover, then ya gotta wipe down the car with final touch or some potion / lotion. Hang in there we will be rifing soon. Then ya goota do this and that and that and.......pretty soon you have spent 2 hours "pre flighting" the car. OK we are touring now....once we get back home we gotta put the top up. Can't just leave it down Oh No that might mess up the window that never sees the light of day, then ya gotta wipe down the car again cause we can't have the cover scratching the paint if dirt got on the car furing our "tour" Out comes the dust mop or whatever they call those things. Now we put the car inside the garage, disconnect the battery close the hood and wait till the engine cools down. Now we can put the flannel car cover. Then the weather proof cover over the flannel cover cause the garage has a couple of tiny leaks. See where i am going.....this stuff gets NUTTY. Where is the Fun? Are we havin FUN YET?

I take my Vette and my Black Lab and have a nice ride after I cover the seat he sits in. He loves riding with the top down, chicks love seeing him, I can park the car and run into a store and nobody will mess with the car...he weighs about 85 LBS When we get home he gets out and we are done....My buddy with the Chevelle goes nuts he can't understand the Dog in the car.

ARE WE HAVING ANY FUN WITH THESE CARS? Calm down and enjoy the car don't make it a chore.
Old 11-08-2003, 09:52 AM
66427-450
Safety Car

Received 436 Likes on 317 Posts

Default Re: I've had a gutfull of this early Vette! (396 RAT)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Buy a new car and get it over with.
Lots of folks will be more than happy to help you get rid of it!
You either get it, or you dont.

[Modified by 396 RAT, 8:05 PM 11/7/2003]
agree....... sounds like that old classic needs a new owner, get a c-5
Old 11-08-2003, 10:22 AM
Viet Nam Vett
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 259 Likes on 183 Posts
2015 C2 of Year
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10, '14-'15

Default Re: I've had a gutfull of this early Vette! (TheOman)

Quote*
ARE WE HAVING ANY FUN WITH THESE CARS?
________________________________________ ________________________ :iagree:

Well..after all the sweat and agg working on my 65Cp, I enjoy the hell out of it. The drive to the 50th in BG was a blast. And when I returned home and cleaned the car after it was in the elements for two weeks with no cover or garage I noticed small paint chips on the front end from driving at 70+ Mph and cruzing back roads..... You know what?? Those paint chips made me happy...Why ...Because I had a great time with my C-2.

I also have some other problems to fix on her but I don't give a S_ _ T.!!
I really really Enjoyed that trip..!!! When the weather gets warm again I'll shoot her over to Rob's Place...(Restoration Connection) at have him touch up the Paint.

Just take some advice from some of our C-2 guys here that build 850HP + motors and others who autocross and then rip up the drag strip or parking lot with there cars..as well as cruz them on weekends.

Man...............That's what I call enjoying your Car!!!!!!

And If Zora is looking down at us....I bet he has a big Smile on his Face...
:thumbs:
Old 11-08-2003, 11:01 AM
58Vette65
Burning Brakes

I thought that ugly top was just to keep rain off the nice interior if by chance you got caught in the rain --- I didn't know it was suppose to look good also. :steering:
Old 11-08-2003, 12:11 PM
67 Fuelie
Pro

A perfect convertible top??? :lol: no such thing, Grasshopper....

Get notified of new replies

To I've had a gutfull of this early Vette!

Old 11-08-2003, 12:46 PM
K2
Melting Slicks

Received 130 Likes on 63 Posts

Default Re: I've had a gutfull of this early Vette! (67 Fuelie)

Glad to see you are calming down! You are experiencing the classic error many young folks make - trying to achieve perfection. Quality and good workanship are one thing but perfection does not exist on any man made thing!!! Once you realize that you won't worry so much about it. Just think of all the little scratches and nicks as badges of courage. My Corvette has 30+ years of nicks scratches upholstery patina which come only from frequent use and when I see them I think of all the good road time we,ve spent together and all the enjoyment it has brought to others as well, none of which could ever happen sitting in a garage or museum unused. So take heart and don't worry so much about perfection. Like I said it doesn't exist and never will in any man made thing. These things are awesome fun to drive and no one will ever see those scratches or nicks going 60 mph down the pike, nor will the folks you take along for rides. All you'll see are huge smiles and waves. :lol: :cheers:
Old 11-08-2003, 11:38 PM
SebringBill
Burning Brakes

Default Re: I've had a gutfull of this early Vette! (K2)

While I can understand your frustration I'd like to offer a solution:

Leave the top down! Since all Solid Axles leak with the top up OR down (mine is no exception) I've decided to just drive faster when it rains -- that way my head and back get wet while the interior stays as dry as I could hope for. :steering:

PS: Hiya Klaus!

[Modified by SebringBill, 11:39 PM 11/8/2003]
Old 11-09-2003, 12:23 AM
Larry P
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Re: I've had a gutfull of this early Vette! (SebringBill)

I feel your pain! I wonder sometimes how these guys ever put these together the first time. Nothing fits right. The design was -----
That's why we do it. If it was something anybody could do, it wouldn't be any fun. If you could keep them perfect, they wouldn't need to be restored.
Drive it, enjoy it. People drive 40, 50 thousound dollar cars to work every day and don't think anything about it. Ours are going up in value and not down.
Keep the faith! (and then help me when I loose it!)
Larry :cheers:

Quick Reply: I've had a gutfull of this early Vette!