C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

VIN for 1961

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 07:20 PM
Robert61
Safety Car

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,067 Posts

If you are going to put a hole in the floor I would suggest the following. First drill 2 holes 1/4" dia straight up from the bottom as even with the frame as you can. The first just above the reference hole in the frame. The second still in line with the frame about 2 1/2" towards the rear. Then drill 2 more holes towards the center of the car from the top 1/2" in from the holes you drilled from the bottom. Then cut this section out with an abrasive wheel or saw. You won't be able to see the entire number but they all start with 10867S anyway. All you are interested in seeing are the last 6 digits unless they want to be a pain. This should be easy enough to patch up or make an aluminum plate that attaches with screws where it can be accessed in the future if need be.
The following users liked this post:
vdetel (03-15-2018)
Old 03-14-2018, 11:14 PM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I don't know why you really want to mess around with the frame number. Send out for a replacement number tag with the numbers you have.....there's a few companies that repop them, attach it to the door like the earlier cars were and I'm sure you won't have any problem with that over there.
vdetel (03-15-2018)
Old 03-15-2018, 07:29 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by Kerrmudgeon
I don't know why you really want to mess around with the frame number. Send out for a replacement number tag with the numbers you have.....there's a few companies that repop them, attach it to the door like the earlier cars were and I'm sure you won't have any problem with that over there.
BTW - that 'tooling hole' is a great index for finding the VIN on the frame - never saw that info before. I wouldn't cut up a car to establish the VIN. I don't know the Swedish bureaucracy but sometimes explaining to the clerk (or whomever) about the situation with these older cars can get you by.

Otherwise, I'd also suggest a replacement tag (frankly, I'd want one sooner or later anyway just for looks)
Old 03-16-2018, 11:13 AM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Or, just epoxy it to the steering column and beat it up a little bit....

Doug

Attachment 48353796
Kerrmudgeon (03-16-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 06:10 PM
vdetel
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The process for registering a car in Missouri that came from another state is that the Highway Patrol has to complete a form called IDOD to verify this car is as titled and not stolen or built with stolen parts and that the frame belongs to the body. This MUST be done or you cannot register the title to your name or get plates for it. We are required to take the car to the Patrol Station - they will not come to your home to verify vin , so since I cant raise the body off chassis there , I need to make it visible to them still put together . Now if the chassis and body numbers do not match , then you MUST apply for a builders title and we all know what that does to the value of a car. So that being said - they make the rules and we MUST follow them. I have never found that the DMV tries to make anything easy to the public. I am just trying to limit the damage I have to do to comply to their rules.
Old 03-16-2018, 06:25 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

would a fiber optics camera work better than a mirror?
Bill
vdetel (03-16-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 06:45 PM
vdetel
Instructor

Originally Posted by wmf62
would a fiber optics camera work better than a mirror?
Bill
That is a very good idea . I am going to try to cut a hole with hole saw the same size as the floorboard drain plugs first. If it doesn't work I will look into your idea next . thank you
Old 03-16-2018, 06:52 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by vdetel
That is a very good idea . I am going to try to cut a hole with hole saw the same size as the floorboard drain plugs first. If it doesn't work I will look into your idea next . thank you
If your frame is really clean, with no signs of rust, you c an probably read the VIN.

If your frame had heavy surface rust on the vertical surfaces (sides), it probably won't be discernible, as they rust worse on top. Usually. Maybe your car had a bad oil leak in the past and the oil protected it..
Doug
Old 03-16-2018, 06:57 PM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

The process for registering a car in Missouri that came from another state is that the Highway Patrol has to complete a form called IDOD to verify this car is as titled and not stolen or built with stolen parts and that the frame belongs to the body. This MUST be done or you cannot register the title to your name or get plates for it. We are required to take the car to the Patrol Station - they will not come to your home to verify vin , so since I cant raise the body off chassis there , I need to make it visible to them still put together . Now if the chassis and body numbers do not match , then you MUST apply for a builders title and we all know what that does to the value of a car. So that being said - they make the rules and we MUST follow them. I have never found that the DMV tries to make anything easy to the public. I am just trying to limit the damage I have to do to comply to their rules.
Good thing the OP is in SWEDEN!....and not in Missoura.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:01 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Good thing the OP is in SWEDEN!....and not in Missoura.
Rob

"Missoura"? where's that?

Bill
Old 03-16-2018, 09:25 PM
arjay0
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a similar issue with my '61. I visited a local Corvette restoration shop in my area. I told them my problem and what I needed. They removed the seat, pulled back the carpeting, cut a hole in the fiberglass at the correct spot and provided me with a pencil rubbing of the VIN which I provided to the proper authority. The hole in the floor was re-glassed into place and carpeting and seat were put back in place. Problem solved.
Old 03-17-2018, 09:55 AM
vdetel
Instructor

Originally Posted by arjay0
I had a similar issue with my '61. I visited a local Corvette restoration shop in my area. I told them my problem and what I needed. They removed the seat, pulled back the carpeting, cut a hole in the fiberglass at the correct spot and provided me with a pencil rubbing of the VIN which I provided to the proper authority. The hole in the floor was re-glassed into place and carpeting and seat were put back in place. Problem solved.
Only in " Missoura " they wont accept a pencil rubbing . The Highway Patrol HAS to visually see the number themselves.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:54 PM
vdetel
Instructor

Thank you so much Robert , I am hoping this prevents me from cutting large hole to locate - I will let you know this weekend if it worked.
Hello Robert , It didn't work drilling a hole so I cut out 4" x 14 " and still didn't locate vin . See pic. I am going to Highway Patrol tomorrow to see if they will just accept vin plate as ID. Thank you so much for your efforts.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:02 PM
Robert61
Safety Car

At first when I looked at mine after removing the body I couldn't see it either. Then one day it started buffing it with a wire wheel. I just wanted to know for sure that it matched the vin plate. I made a new chassis I'm using but I'm thinking about cutting that section out and keeping it. Keep looking.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:34 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Hello Robert , It didn't work drilling a hole so I cut out 4" x 14 " and still didn't locate vin . See pic. I am going to Highway Patrol tomorrow to see if they will just accept vin plate as ID. Thank you so much for your efforts.
what picture?

Bill
Old 03-19-2018, 12:27 AM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Rob

"Missoura"? where's that?

Bill
.....Oh Bill, now you're just pulling my leg. Y'all know that's the way they say it there and in most of the south.
Old 03-19-2018, 05:53 AM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

.....Oh Bill, now you're just pulling my leg. Y'all know that's the way they say it there and in most of the south.
Rob

I think you have it confused with Misery...

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To VIN for 1961

Old 03-20-2018, 09:06 PM
vdetel
Instructor

Rob

I think you have it confused with Misery...

Bill
Actually it is pronounced Missouree , home of Harry Truman a few miles from me. What state did you learn the English language ?
Old 03-21-2018, 12:39 AM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Actually it is pronounced Missouree , home of Harry Truman a few miles from me. What state did you learn the English language ?
the State of Confusion...

Bill
Old 04-01-2018, 02:18 PM
Robert61
Safety Car

So what was the outcome of your visit with the Missorah DMV?

Quick Reply: VIN for 1961