C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

P/S conversion any one do it? how hard was it? what kit?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2004, 09:19 AM
Corvettj
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default P/S conversion any one do it? how hard was it? what kit?

Has any one switched there cars over to Power steering using a kit like SSBC.

I got a great deal on the kit and am getting ready for the install but hear some oil pans will not clear? since I have a ZZ4 motor I am wondering if this will work or if a oil pan change is needed? how do you know? Pictures of the two pans would help, I think the ZZ4 has a short sump than the L79 I took out.

thanks for the help

JC
Old 07-03-2004, 09:46 AM
Aussi-66
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: P/S conversion any one do it? how hard was it? what kit? (Corvettj)

I recently did a conversion that I am very happy with it is the single best upgrade I have made. The steering used to have a vague feeling on the highway, the handling is great now very stable and precise. My original power steering was in perfect order but was still lousy by modern standards. If you are starting with a manual steering car you are better of as you will reuse your pitman arm and linkages. For details take a look at the corvettesteering.com site.
Old 07-04-2004, 04:04 AM
Brutus
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: P/S conversion any one do it? how hard was it? what kit? (Aussi-66)

Interesting site. Might be just what I need for my "new" 64.
Thanks.
Old 07-04-2004, 01:37 PM
Corvettj
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: P/S conversion any one do it? how hard was it? what kit? (Brutus)

I had looked into that set up and when I called the guy he said I had to cut the stock column and had to build a spacer to shim his box out? did you do this? or simple bolt in? I was thinking more like the stock set up, just the kits they ofer to make it look stock, I like the power sterring box better but cutting the steering and the shims made me wonder?

JC
Old 07-04-2004, 02:15 PM
sjaroslo
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: And make no mistake, there's women who just wait for the man and machine with the best time
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I have 66 coupe originally equipped with a 327 that now has a Fast Burn 385, which I believe uses the same block (and I assume pan) as your ZZ4. The car was originally equipped with manual steering and the previous owner had a power steering kit added, presumably from Mid-America or Eckler's or one of the normal aftermarket suppliers. The new engine went right in, with no interference or modification necessary. I'm not familiar with SSBC's conversion, but assuming that it emulates the factory power steering setup, you shouldn't experience any clearance problems.
Old 07-04-2004, 07:27 PM
Aussi-66
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The installation was more complex than a simple bolt on, believe me they all are. I did a steeroids conversion on my buddies car there were was drama with sump clearance. This experience and the recommendation of a couple of guys that I respect pushed me in the direction of Corvettesteering.
Having driven both cars extensively I can say there isnt anything between the systems performance. But I much prefer the look of the Corvettesteering setup it almost looks stock, it was cheaper and is an easier install.
All of that said I did have to cut the shaft running through the steering column but not the column it self. My car is a roadster so removing the column was easy. The cutting was also easy just lopped it off with the angle grinder. You cut the shaft so that you have just enough of the lower spline to fully engage the spline in the steering box coupler, about 3/4 of an inch.
The ajustable rubber bushing on the engine side of the fire wall did have to be set hard to one side to get the steering shaft aligned with the coupling to the new steering box. I also used several flat washers as shimming.
I have digital images of the set up will se if I can figure out how to post them for you.
I have a policy that every thing I do to the car must be fully reversable with out scars. I picked up a shaft and have mothballed the old power steering set up. The cars next owner may prefer it to be fully original.

Get notified of new replies

To P/S conversion any one do it? how hard was it? what kit?

Quick Reply: P/S conversion any one do it? how hard was it? what kit?