C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Vin Number differences

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2004, 10:03 PM
PatOpsahl
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Vin Number differences

My new 65 convertible purchase has a difference in the vin # on the registration. Looks like two of my numbers got mistaken for different numbers somewhere along the ownership trail. It is also missing the "S" in the 7th or 8th position. California car, does this mean I have to get in the DMV line to straighten it out?
Patrick
Lathrop, CA
Old 08-04-2004, 11:23 PM
78Vette-SA
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I looked online at teh Ca. DMV site and couldn't find anything specific. Might be best just to contact them directly to see what's needed.

It sounds like you have already done some homework. If Ca. is anything like NY, you are going to need it. Any and all documentation, pictures of the trim tag, engine stamp, tranny stamp, frame stamp, any and all wherever possible would be helpful I would imagine.

Old 08-05-2004, 01:44 AM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Received 1,977 Likes on 1,190 Posts

I've just been through this with the CA DMV. There were two errors on a title to one of my cars. I just applied for a new title and provided them with documentation on the model year and the year first sold, which were the errors.

In your case just make an appointment at your local DMV office - pull the forms off their web site to apply for a new title and fill them out. Take with you because they will have to verify the VIN. The new title will cost you $15.

It never should have gone through the last time if the VIN on the vehicle does not match what's on the title.

Duke
Old 08-05-2004, 08:05 AM
The Famous
Instructor

In June I had an appraiser come to my shop and go over my car. I had just finished a 4 year restoration on a '65 Fuelie Coupe that I purchased in 1968. The car was last registered in 1976! The last thing he checked was the vin tag. It did not match the registration!!!! He said........Huston, we have a problem! I was in shock.......a stolen car! He said there was a company that could re-register it for about $300.00. He left and told me to call him when I was ready to "fix" it. I called my friend in the Sheriff Dept. to do a check on both the registration # and the vin#. All clear!! Then he told me to go to the Motor Vehicle Office where I picked up three forms, filled them out and supplied a pencil "rubbing" of my vin # got my new registration instantly!
I can't believe something in this world is still not complicated! For the company that charges $300.00............now I know how they do it! In the 36 years I have owned the car, I never checked the #s. Maybe you should all check your car!
Old 08-07-2004, 05:09 PM
65coupe
Pro

Years ago I found that my car had a digit off although I know that when I bought the car it matched reggie. It was justa misprint that occurred. I waited until renewal time and went to motor vehicle and explained the situation and she made the correction. Simple.
Old 08-07-2004, 05:42 PM
jimgessner
Safety Car

Received 639 Likes on 382 Posts

Pat,
Your vin number should be 194675S1000001 thru 194675S23562.( last 5 digits are sequential to every car made)

The vin number should be rivited to the bar under the dash.

If you have a number transposed, which is more common than you think, all you have to do is get the proper paper form and have a 'vin verifier' check and sign the paper. Police officers, and many car dealers have the proper state licence and can do it for you. If you mail it in after the signed copy is completed with $15?, you will get a new corrected title that matches up.

Please make sure you underdash vin tag has not been tampered with. If you present the car to DMV with a tampered vin, you may kiss it good buy and once resolved they will place a CALIFORNIA STATE ISSUE
green vin tag where the factory original once was. Then the world thinks it was a stolen / salvaged titled car, and you don't want that.

Email me private if you have any questions.
Jim

Get notified of new replies

To Vin Number differences

Quick Reply: Vin Number differences