C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Any one seen bubbling paint around the rear deck before?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2004, 03:50 AM
richbell
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Any one seen bubbling paint around the rear deck before?

I'm in process of the latest remodel of my 66 coupe. When I decided to widen the front and rear fenders the car had a really great paint job but there was some bubbling of the paint in the rear deck area surrounding the gas cap but about 6 inches on either side.

After the body work http://www.onr.com/user/richb/rich66...004/index.html
the car was very professionally painted. The bubbling around the rear deck came back only after a few short weeks. We have stripped the rear deck around the gas cap area and are applying new layers of high density fiber glass.

Anyone ever seen this problem before? Many thanks!
Old 10-30-2004, 01:20 PM
76rich
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It has been discussed on here before. The conversation is cloudy in my mind, but from what I recall: It is from oils deep in the fiberglass. Adding new on top will not cure it completely. It seems like there is a procedure where they put thinner soaked rags on the area to draw out the oils. After a time they go ahead and repair the area. Maybe this will jog someone's mind about this procedure that really knows what they're are talking about.
Richard
Old 10-30-2004, 05:24 PM
GregP
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

This may not be your cause, but the new fuels will make paint bubble, especially on a hot day. I found that out on my Model 'T' which had a fuel cel under the rear deck and a small access door ... not too unlike a Corvette. You might make sure your gas gap is sealing tight and isn't letting any vapors or drips out.

-Greg
Old 10-30-2004, 08:10 PM
hansenisu
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '10

THAT is going to be an awesome looking restomod. Keep the pics coming, I can't wait to see what the paint is going to look like.
Old 10-30-2004, 09:17 PM
tdelph
Drifting

I love the changes you are making. Taking away the flare look and turning it into a very-wide stock looking fender is a great move. Send us progress pictures, its going to be awesome.
Old 10-30-2004, 09:47 PM
tuxedo
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have some paint blisters on my rear deck area behind the gas cap area and towards the end of the rear deck. I noticed them after the car sat in the sun one afternoon a year ago. You might do an archive search on the Forum and over at the NCRS archive boards for paint blisters and you will find some threads. Maybe gas vapors can do it also, but what I have learned is when the car is stripped with liquid strippers some of the stripper may still be in the fiberglass even after the process. The painter sprays the car and later then the heat of the sun causes the left over dormant stripper to activate and want to evaporate out as it turns into gas. But it cannot get out since the paint is there and you get a bubble/blister. In any case I have been told that you need to strip the area and leave it in the sun for a LONG time. The longer the better. Like a whole summer etc. There are stories like yours where the blisters come back again and again in no particular time frame or fashion. There are no guarantees that they will not come back. But heat activates the gases and if you leave it out in the sun without paint the gases can escape. I am pretty sure this is what happened to my car as I know one of the pevious owners resprayed the rear deck as this is the only place I have a few blisters. At first I was pretty irritated but have gotten over it and will probably wait until I have to paint the whole car in the future. Mine aren't that bad but you lessen the chances of the darn things coming back the longer you let the naked car bake in the sun and heat. But you will not really know if it is a fix beacuse I have talked to people that reshot their body and let it bake and the blisters came back a few years later. The guaranteed way to get rid of them is to replace the infected glass with a new section but that gets costly. Also if you bust the blister they sy a black ooze will come out. Good Luck
Old 10-30-2004, 09:54 PM
noelga
Racer

Car Looks great.
You may have been asked this before, can you tell me where you got the rear finders?
Thanks
Old 10-31-2004, 02:34 AM
richbell
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

The two worst problems with my 66 were and are a leaking windshield (took almost 10 times in an out to fix it) and now the blisters. We are laying new high density glass on top. But you guys have me worried. I am really thinking about buying a rear deck section and glassing it in. Nothing more depressing than working you azz of for paint and then having blisters appear.

It is interesting to know that I am not the only one with this problem. Thanks for the comments!
Old 10-31-2004, 02:37 AM
richbell
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by noelga
Car Looks great.
You may have been asked this before, can you tell me where you got the rear finders?
Thanks
Corvette Masters 303 762 8388 but take note on my site how much they were modified. www.rich66.com

Get notified of new replies

To Any one seen bubbling paint around the rear deck before?

Quick Reply: Any one seen bubbling paint around the rear deck before?