C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Bonding Adhesive Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2004, 11:09 AM
The Corvette Kid
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Bonding Adhesive Question

I am replacing the left rear lower quarter panel on my 61 Corvette. I plan on using Ecklers bonding adhesive. Has anyone used this before, is there a better product to use, or are they all about the same. I would appreciate any help I can get. Thanks, Bob
Old 11-08-2004, 11:36 AM
Birdball
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used a ton of it while repairing my 66. It mixes up like bondo, and has about the same amount of working time and setup time. Don't add too much hardner, or that stuff will set up on you, and you will have a crooked quarter panel!

It has the correct blackish color too. There may be other bonding adhesives out there, but if you want the correct look and color around you bonding strips, I would use the Eckler's stuff..

good luck
Old 11-08-2004, 07:01 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,617 Likes on 1,949 Posts

I used it on my car and I also tried a body store brand - Evercoat brand or something like that. I liked Ecklers best - has more body and the joints come out looking like factory. I second Birdball - try a small trial batch before getting committed big time. Use a little less hardner than you think you really need, mix it good, get it applied fast and get the parts clamped in place fast. Neatness doesn't count. Cool air temperatures are a big help.
Old 11-09-2004, 11:12 AM
The Corvette Kid
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 25 Posts

Thank You very much for your help. I ordered a quarter panel and a quart of bonding adhesive from Ecklers last week. So as soon as it gets here I will give it a try. Thanks again, Bob

Get notified of new replies

To Bonding Adhesive Question

Quick Reply: Bonding Adhesive Question