C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Need your opinions (wheels)

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 02:07 PM
Tod
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need your opinions (wheels)

Just returned from Discount Tire here in Jackson, MI. I was interested chrome Cragers for my red 65' disc brake coupe. Sales associate told me that "under no circumstances should I use Crager rims because they cannot be orederd with an offset. The spacer needed for these rims is dangerous and could lead to tire rubbing or worse".

He went on to suggest the American Torque Thrust Rims II, in chrome or polished aluminum. He said that he can order these with the offset

http://www.newstalgiawheel.com/listp....asp?cat=10145

Any comments, or does anyone have pictures they could post with these rims on their car? What size rim and radial T/A would the forum members recomend for my car?
Thanks
Tod
Old 12-29-2004, 02:15 PM
tdelph
Drifting

Tod,

I think Dave (youwish2beme) has a set of the TTIIS, look at his pics, he is probably the best one to ask. I like these better than the Cragar look. Looks a little more updated and Classic at the same time. They will look good on Red.

Old 12-29-2004, 02:42 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

You can use Cragars but as the sales associated mentioned you will have to use spacers. Spacers are kind of taboo depending on who you talk to. Me I'd rather not use spacers but there are plenty of people using them with Cragars on Midyears. I would recommend if you do decide to use spacers to install longer and larger studs as spacers cause stress on the wheel studs and the length issue is to make sure you have enough thread depth.

I do not have any information on the Cragars but as for the TTII's you can run any diameter (ie 15,16,17 even 18's[I can hear some on the forum going 18's ] You only need to get them in 4" backspacing.
There are only a few aftermarket wheels that will clear the calipers on these old vettes. The AR TTII, Boyd Smoothies, the Nostalgia wheels are look just like AR TTII's to me, there might be a few more but those are the ones that I know of.. If you look back at some of the prior threads on this you can see the differences in wheel diameter,size and the Cragars vs AR TTII's.

I wouldn't go over a 7" wide wheel with the AR TTII's and the Cragars I've been told you shouldn't go over a 6" (Reason being you can't get the offset you need and have to make up the spacer difference. If you go any wider it's very likely that the tire will hit the fender lip). I'm sure those with Cragars will add to this b/c I don't know all the sizes on them. I wanted the TTII's and researched it very intensively before I bought mine. If you want the Cragars get em...

Dave..
Old 12-29-2004, 03:07 PM
OverBudget
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out this site:

http://www.roadsters.com/wheels/#Hotrods

It has the most comprehensive list of wheel manufacturers you could ever imagine. I probably spent 10 hours just going through all of them in my quest to find the perfect and distinct wheel.

My car is a modern resto-rod and I went with the following:

http://www.billetspecialties.com/ite...id=121&pid=699

My sizes are listed below.
Old 12-29-2004, 03:54 PM
Tod
Racer

Thanks for the link to the great wheel site. I can see why it took you so long to decide which wheels you liked. Thanks for the info.

Tod
Old 12-29-2004, 09:05 PM
65nassau
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Defending Cragars ....

I have the cragar SS wheels and the spacers. They move the wheel out about 1/2 " and you get CLOSE on the clearance but I drive mine with no problem. One of the ways cragar deals with the thread depth, is to sell you a special 'corvette kit', with very DEEP threaded nuts.
They actually grip more threads than stock nuts.

This way the wheels are not 'hanging on by a thread' or anything like that.

I feel like they are safe and have driven mine hard with the cragars and have 100% confidence in them.

I really think it's a bad rap on the spacers, nuts etc. True, no one will go on the record and 'reccomend them', because you are altering the stress loads on the studs - yet a major wheel manufacturer makes a kit to counter that problem.

You to drive slightly more careful with curbs and corners, but not so you cant enjoy the car. Pull into the driveway at 5 MPH, not 15.

When was the last time anyone heard of a cragar s/s falling off a corvette, I wonder? If it ever did, that 'kit' would not be sold ...
Old 12-29-2004, 09:12 PM
kenmo
Le Mans Master

Received 107 Likes on 51 Posts

A few guys that show up at the show and shines curse the Cragers saying they are very hard to mount due to them using a shank type bolt and universal bolt spacers that allow the same rim to be mounted on a Ford, Chevy, Mopar or Nissan.

Get the AR wheels.
Old 12-29-2004, 09:20 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Bob, I'm glad you posted the setup you have. I had no good information about the Cragars. It sounds like you have the solution man. Don't get me wrong I'm wasn't saying spacers were bad it's just as you stated they have gotten a bad rap... Tod if you like the Cragars get em.. If you like the TTII's go for it man.... That's the great thing about all this so many cool decisions to make.. Dave..
Old 12-30-2004, 07:49 AM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

AR TTIIs.

Old 12-30-2004, 11:41 AM
Tod
Racer

Thanks for all the responses. Thats why I love this site; you can always get many different points of view! Well, I have a tough decision to make

Again, thanks for all the comments. But I think I will go with the Torq-Thust II series 505 with a radial white letter tire (kind of retro). Maybe I will sell my new (1967 style) Coker redline tires with ralley rims and center caps and beauty rings to help offset the cost of the new set-up. The previous owner had them installed before he sold the car. Or maybe I will keep them in case I ever have to sell the car. Well, when spring gets here I will decide on whether or not to sell the redlines and rims, any ideas on worth? I was thinking in the neighborhood of $1500.00 What do you guys think?

Tod
Old 01-02-2005, 02:34 PM
John165
Cruising

Originally Posted by Tod
Just returned from Discount Tire here in Jackson, MI. I was interested chrome Cragers for my red 65' disc brake coupe. Sales associate told me that "under no circumstances should I use Crager rims because they cannot be orederd with an offset. The spacer needed for these rims is dangerous and could lead to tire rubbing or worse".

He went on to suggest the American Torque Thrust Rims II, in chrome or polished aluminum. He said that he can order these with the offset

http://www.newstalgiawheel.com/listp....asp?cat=10145

Any comments, or does anyone have pictures they could post with these rims on their car? What size rim and radial T/A would the forum members recomend for my car?
Thanks
Tod
I have a 65 coupe amd am running 235x55x16 tt11's I will have to measure the off set. I think it is 4 inches, however it could be 4.5. The wheels are 16x7 and everthing clears, Except the e brake tab on the swing arm. It had to be relocated to the top of the swing arm. I am not sure that I can run the vette brakes smart struts , which would cause the tires to rise and fall vertically in relation to the body.The clearance is close.
Old 01-02-2005, 06:04 PM
Hitch
Race Director

If you had to relocate the ebrake you are more than likely running 4.5" of backspacing.. Dave..
Old 01-05-2005, 01:47 PM
John165
Cruising

Default opinions on wheels

Originally Posted by youwish2bme
If you had to relocate the ebrake you are more than likely running 4.5" of backspacing.. Dave..

I will have the wheels off soon and I will measure them and send feed back. The clearance is the same on both sides and it is close even with out the bracket on the side. It was pressed into the tire when we first mounted the tire.
I have my own question for yall on which side of the frame mounted bracket does the L shaped lever of the ebrake mount on top or on bottom of it. The ebrake will not pull out from the dash and I don't have someone to pull while I look from under the car to look for interferience.
Old 01-05-2005, 02:41 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,060 Likes on 1,257 Posts

Originally Posted by OR Vette

Wow, what a great web site for shopping wheels, and wheel history! One of the listed vendors, PS Engineering in LA, makes a nice selection of vintage wheels, but doesn't have a web site. Most of the repro "Halibrands" you see on kit Cobras are theirs. Here are shots of their TT-D inspired wheel on the midyears of a couple of Forum members.

Old 01-05-2005, 04:04 PM
65Corvette
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

I've got polished TorqueThrust II's on my '65 Roadster and they look awesome.
Old 01-05-2005, 05:57 PM
Tod
Racer

To 65Corvette;

I sent you a P.M. Check it out when you get time.

Thanks
Tod
Old 01-05-2005, 06:18 PM
BioRxOkc@aol.com
Pro

AR TTII's

Get notified of new replies

To Need your opinions (wheels)

Quick Reply: Need your opinions (wheels)