C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Tip for putting holes in your new carpet

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2005, 08:52 AM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Tip for putting holes in your new carpet

I installed new carpets last week and last night decided to install the seats. It required 4 holes per seat and 2 for the seat belts.
Cutting holes in carpet is next to impossible, well doing a good job that is.
So burn them in.
I start from under the car. I poke a sharp scriber up through the bolt holes into the car, I then go inside with another scriber and push it down from the top verifying that I am in the center of the hole.
I took a 3/8th bolt, clamped my vise grips around the head then used a propane torch, a normal soldering torch and heated the bolt threaded area red hot.
Touch it to the carpet and it will burn/melt a nice hole in the carpet and seal the edges.
Works really well, smokes slightly but the hole is perfect and no chance of a thread running.
I also burn through jute backing the same way.
Old 01-14-2005, 12:42 PM
Stick
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's what we did when we installed the carpet in my '57 Chevy rebuild. Worked great.
Old 01-14-2005, 08:46 PM
plaidside
Safety Car

Received 1,126 Likes on 553 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

When I did mine I put wide masking tape where the hole would go. Then I marked the location of the holes on the tape and used a gasket hole punch to make a perfect hole. For any small holes for screws I used a leather hole punch that looks like a pair of pliers and has a wheel with different size holes on it.
Old 01-14-2005, 10:08 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

These tips are very timely.. Thanks guys... Any other carpet tips are greatly appreciated... Dave..
Old 01-15-2005, 07:52 AM
skids
Drifting

Received 153 Likes on 110 Posts

I have a tent repair kit from the army that has punches for installing grommets in canvas. These punches work excellent.
Old 01-15-2005, 08:42 AM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by plaidside
When I did mine I put wide masking tape where the hole would go. Then I marked the location of the holes on the tape and used a gasket hole punch to make a perfect hole. For any small holes for screws I used a leather hole punch that looks like a pair of pliers and has a wheel with different size holes on it.
That seems harder. You are taking a hammer and hitting the floor with the hole punch. Try a scrap piece of carpet with something hot and see how easy it is to burn a nice hole and the edge is melted to prevent fraying.
Small holes only require a sharp awl/scriper bushed through the carpet.'
Any time you cut holes you are risking starting a run especially in loop. Burning prevents this and really it is so easy to do.
Old 01-15-2005, 12:10 PM
Red64
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is once again great info on the forum just when I need it. Any tricks for edges to keep them from running. One of the many problems with my old carpet was loop runs coming from cuts.

Thanks
Pat
Old 01-15-2005, 03:33 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,054 Likes on 1,256 Posts

Originally Posted by norvalwilhelm
I installed new carpets last week and last night decided to install the seats. It required 4 holes per seat and 2 for the seat belts.
Cutting holes in carpet is next to impossible, well doing a good job that is.
So burn them in.
I start from under the car. I poke a sharp scriber up through the bolt holes into the car, I then go inside with another scriber and push it down from the top verifying that I am in the center of the hole.
I took a 3/8th bolt, clamped my vise grips around the head then used a propane torch, a normal soldering torch and heated the bolt threaded area red hot.
Touch it to the carpet and it will burn/melt a nice hole in the carpet and seal the edges.
Works really well, smokes slightly but the hole is perfect and no chance of a thread running.
I also burn through jute backing the same way.

Clever.....very clever
Old 01-15-2005, 05:07 PM
plaidside
Safety Car

Received 1,126 Likes on 553 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

That seems harder. You are taking a hammer and hitting the floor with the hole punch. Try a scrap piece of carpet with something hot and see how easy it is to burn a nice hole and the edge is melted to prevent fraying.

I don't hit the floor. I use a piece of 2 x 4 under the carpet and it make a perfect hole. As far as the leather punch, it also makes a perfect hole so the carpet doesn't get raveled up in the screw.
Just another option.

Get notified of new replies

To Tip for putting holes in your new carpet

Quick Reply: Tip for putting holes in your new carpet