C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Mid Year bodies

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2005, 02:55 AM
67 327/400
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Mid Year bodies

Gentlemen,
I am currently looking for a body of a mid year. I plan on turning it into a street rod, there for I don't want to do it to a real body.
Does anyone know of a company that fabricates Mid Year bodies?
Thanks in advance.

Rick from Chicago.
Old 01-20-2005, 05:17 AM
78Vette-SA
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good question and one I've been going round on for some time. There have been a number of previous posts on this in the past.

Seems the being GM is so protective there have been few offerings of replica or kits utilizing the mid-year body style. There is a company called Mid-America that builds a Grand Sport replica, but my understanding is they also modify an original mid-year body.

My suggestion, as I am doing, is to keep your eyes open for a body only or a carcass mid-year that's beyond restoration (to original) and use the body for your project. This way you also get a title/reg with it (make sure) and you put an old project to new good use and give it life.

Good luck...

ps: As you may know Corvette Central has their Project 47 body that they either are or will be offering. Don't know how they do it (from a GM perspective) but looks interesting (probably not cheap though).
Old 01-20-2005, 09:28 AM
65RDSTR
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You would have to look into your States laws but in my state it is fairly easy to get a state issued title and vin #. If you found a body with no vin or title you could probably get a good deal. The're on Ebay all the time. It is kind of nice to have a real Corvette vin # though.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:14 AM
richscorvettes
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Here is a link to a body I saw on e-Bay recently: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...520546045&rd=1

There is a company which makes reproduction bodies for drag cars that I have seen. A Google search should be able to locate the company. But, you'd likely be better off starting with an original body.

Rich Lagasse
Old 01-20-2005, 03:12 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Lots of companies make front and rear clips, but I dont think anyone makes the complete cowl and center section. You should look for a complete cowl and tub to mount the front and rear on.
Old 01-20-2005, 03:36 PM
GregP
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

US Body (http://www.usbody.com/WhereQualityComesFirst.htm) makes the closest to a stock C-2 Corvette. Most of the other race bodies have stretched wheel bases. All the race bodies will need lots of extra stuff (firwall, floors, tubs) made from scratch. I was originally going to go that route, but after looking into title and insurance changed my mind and decided to get a non-restorable original (with title, I wouldn't consider one without a title as then your back in mostly the same predicament) instead. It's easy to get a street rod title and insurance for a pre 1949 car, later models have to go the kit car route which is harder, and subjects you to late model safety and smog rules.

-Greg
Old 01-20-2005, 06:02 PM
Nicky71
Drifting

Rick,

I know where there is a 63 SWC project that might fit the bill for what you are looking for. It's in the Chicago area also. Apparently it was an old drag car that the owner has started "restoring" into a street machine. I haven't seen it yet but I believe the asking price is $15K.

Send me a PM if you'd like me to get you the owner's contact info.
Old 01-21-2005, 02:39 AM
67 327/400
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for all the help guys.
I have to break the news to you though. Laying in bed this morning, I had "The Vision." It wasn't a midyear street rod. It was a '58 with the hard top in mossport green ( I love that color ) with all the chrome. Dropped 2 inches, with 20 inch rims, with low profile tires, and a new crate engine big block. Interior would be stock dash, new Vette seats, and the floor pans lowered, so you sit back and lower like you to in the mid year.
I know it sounds gawdy, but I have my Top Flight '67 327/300 roadster that I inherited from my father. I love nothing more than an all original corvette, but after watching Chip Foose, and Boyd on thier shows......I have to build myself a street rod.

PS. My dream car was sold recently.
Top Flight 1966 Mossport Coupe with the green interior 427/450. It was something like #2-3 of the last 450Hp rated cars.
A good family friend has the last 450hp rated car 66 red on red coupe. For some reason he wont sell it
Old 01-21-2005, 02:52 AM
CP66
Instructor

I think year one makes a `67,...saw it in super chevy magazine last night.
Best to go to thier web-site and have a look.
Happy hunting...Patrick.
Old 01-24-2005, 04:47 PM
SLO 65
Instructor

Default Midyear Body

The body CP66 is refering to is made by Promax, Vennom Division. They are building fiberglass Nova's but I'd heard they were doing a Midyear and the Super Chevy magazine confirmed it. Link to contacting Vennon:

http://www.vennom.com/main.html

Seems like a good idea if it can be registered.

Nick

Get notified of new replies

To Mid Year bodies

Quick Reply: Mid Year bodies