Notices
C1 & C2 Parts C1 & C2 Corvette Performance Parts, Rare NOS and NLA Chevy Parts, Wheels & Tires, Exterior Enhancements, Aftermarket

Gauging interest in selling correct 327/365 engine block, crank, heads.

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 08:16 PM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Gauging interest in selling correct 327/365 engine block, crank, heads.

I have a spare 327ci 870 casting block with 2680 crank that have been pressure tested and magnifluxed. Also a pair of 461 heads that were also magnifluxed. I was going to build the correct motor for my car but decided maybe a crate 383 would be better. The heads are bare and small valve so would need hogging out to 2.02/160 for better performance. The block is .008 to .010 at top worst area of cylinders so no problem going .030 bore. Dates are for block F 15 5 (june 17, 1965) heads F 16 5 and F 12 5 (June 16 and 12 1965). Heads have rocker studs only. My car build date is July 7, 1965 so I had the perfect motor but not numbers matching. I am tired of looking at it sit in the corner of my garage and maybe someone really would like to have it. What's it worth?
Old 02-16-2009, 08:25 AM
corvette67jim
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kensmith
i have a spare 327ci 870 casting block with 2680 crank that have been pressure tested and magnifluxed. Also a pair of 461 heads that were also magnifluxed. I was going to build the correct motor for my car but decided maybe a crate 383 would be better. The heads are bare and small valve so would need hogging out to 2.02/160 for better performance. The block is .008 to .010 at top worst area of cylinders so no problem going .030 bore. Dates are for block f 15 5 (june 17, 1965) heads f 16 5 and f 12 5 (june 16 and 12 1965). Heads have rocker studs only. My car build date is july 7, 1965 so i had the perfect motor but not numbers matching. I am tired of looking at it sit in the corner of my garage and maybe someone really would like to have it. What's it worth?
$500
Old 02-16-2009, 10:31 AM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by corvette67jim
$500
WOW, I paid $500 for the block and crank alone not including shipping. Then the heads were anothe $400 plus shipping. I have well over $1,000.00 into it. Guess I will hold on to it.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:59 AM
Astrodokk
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Ken,
I saw that motor when I visited you and it was beautiful. If I was going to go with pseudo originality of my car, I would have wanted that one in my May 12, '65 car.
Maybe posting it in Craigslist Sac would generate interest locally and avoid shipping hassles. That's what I did with my '73 545 heads and they went the same day. I posted them here in the forum a few days before and no interest.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:21 PM
dennis sellards
Racer

$500
although the dates of these parts are close together which is nice you have to remember that these parts are not very rare at all.Although a 365hp motor could be built out of these parts the motor is NOT a 365hp motor.These also would have come in the v8 passenger cars of which there are many and there are plenty left over.In this case the dates kind of work against the value in the fact that they are dated late in the production.NCRS for example allows up to 6 months prior to build.These parts will not carry over into 1966 as the block casting# was last used in 1965.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:47 PM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by dennis sellards
although the dates of these parts are close together which is nice you have to remember that these parts are not very rare at all.Although a 365hp motor could be built out of these parts the motor is NOT a 365hp motor.These also would have come in the v8 passenger cars of which there are many and there are plenty left over.In this case the dates kind of work against the value in the fact that they are dated late in the production.NCRS for example allows up to 6 months prior to build.These parts will not carry over into 1966 as the block casting# was last used in 1965.
I agree, if you hunt long enough you can get them but the trick is to find dates that match. Not a mix-match motor but one that would be like it came from the factory. With those casting dates, that motor would be a correct build. Now, try and find those dates and I will sell it for less. But I'm sure your time is worth a lot more. I totally agree if the heads were not matching the block. But they are all within 4 days of each other. Block June 15, heads June 12, June 16. I paid a premium for the dates. Plus the block will easily take a .030 bore, has been pressure checked and magnifluxed. Crank also checked and may need polishing only and came with the block and main caps.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:20 PM
corvette67jim
Racer

here is one that recieved no bids on ebay at $300 it do not have any heads though

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/327-C...1%7C240%3A1318
Old 02-16-2009, 07:36 PM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

here is one that recieved no bids on ebay at $300 it do not have any heads though

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/327-C...1%7C240%3A1318
Thanks for pointing that out as that is my exact point and reason I purchased the heads and block. They match. This is the same block and heads used for the 1965 327/365 motor. For a July/August car or even later. Where can you find a block and heads all dated correctly that would work? Happy hunting
Old 02-17-2009, 06:53 AM
corvette67jim
Racer

my mistake I thought that you were looking for opinions on how much your parts are worth.I did not realize you already knew
Old 02-17-2009, 08:55 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,847 Likes on 1,401 Posts

Originally Posted by Kensmith
I am tired of looking at it sit in the corner of my garage and maybe someone really would like to have it. What's it worth?

This is what it boils down to. Never mind all that other stuff. How tired you get looking and how bad somebody wanting. Obviously, the right person hasn't seen your merchandise or you're not tired enough!

Otherwise, it has a tangible value of $.10/lb as noted.

Simple, really.

Paint the block and heads, put manifolds on it and put the thing on an engine stand. Make a display out of it and set it in your living room.

Last edited by MikeM; 02-17-2009 at 08:59 AM.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:28 AM
dennis sellards
Racer

if I were in your position I would push it into the corner and if and when you ever go to sell the car it would be an asset to a prospective buyer.If you have the room.It does not eat anything as they say and as these things get older they tend to increase in value unlike my 401K
Old 02-17-2009, 09:53 AM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Ken,
Based on the production date of your block (June 17, 1965) then the only cars that could arguably benefit from the date-matching are 65 vettes built from late June until the end of the run.

If we use 1965 Production Data from Black Magic's web site, and assume the earliest vette that could have had a June 17 cast engine was built in approximately June 24, 1965 (I simply added a week to the casting date) then the earliest car in that scenario that could have used your engine is number 20657 and the latest 1965 corvette built was 23562.

Therefor one could argue that of the 23562 1965 Corvettes built, only 2905 could possibly use your motor.

This suggests to me that the value of your engine is more of an all-or-none proposition: It's just a small block vette engine to most prospective purchasers (little value), or a good date-matched engine for a very small handful of cars and an even smaller handful of prospective purchasers (a lot of value to what, 8, 10 people?).
Old 02-17-2009, 10:21 AM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 62Jeff
Ken,
Based on the production date of your block (June 17, 1965) then the only cars that could arguably benefit from the date-matching are 65 vettes built from late June until the end of the run.

If we use 1965 Production Data from Black Magic's web site, and assume the earliest vette that could have had a June 17 cast engine was built in approximately June 24, 1965 (I simply added a week to the casting date) then the earliest car in that scenario that could have used your engine is number 20657 and the latest 1965 corvette built was 23562.

Therefor one could argue that of the 23562 1965 Corvettes built, only 2905 could possibly use your motor.

This suggests to me that the value of your engine is more of an all-or-none proposition: It's just a small block vette engine to most prospective purchasers (little value), or a good date-matched engine for a very small handful of cars and an even smaller handful of prospective purchasers (a lot of value to what, 8, 10 people?).
That is how I looked at it when I purchased it. You see all kinds of blocks and heads for sale. Yep, lots of 461 and 780s. But, do you find them with casting dates all within 4 days of each other? Would that not indicate an engine put together at the plant and not built in the junkyard? Would that not be of interest or value to someone who has a late June, July or even August car? Also could be used on the 350HP hydraulic cam motor and not just the 365HP. I believe the cam is the difference between the L79 and L76.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:43 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,847 Likes on 1,401 Posts

That is how I looked at it when I purchased it. You see all kinds of blocks and heads for sale. Yep, lots of 461 and 780s. But, do you find them with casting dates all within 4 days of each other? Would that not indicate an engine put together at the plant and not built in the junkyard? Would that not be of interest or value to someone who has a late June, July or even August car? Also could be used on the 350HP hydraulic cam motor and not just the 365HP. I believe the cam is the difference between the L79 and L76.

The block and heads could also be used for a 250-300 hp engine. They could be used in a Chevelle, Pass car. Those car groups look for dated components too.

Why do you dwell on the "junkyard engine" bit? That's what you have isn't? What is the difference between a factory built engine that's worn out, and component pieces of several factory engines that are worn out and sold as one group? The answer seems obvious, just curious why you brought it up?
Old 02-17-2009, 10:56 AM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MikeM
The block and heads could also be used for a 250-300 hp engine. They could be used in a Chevelle, Pass car. Those car groups look for dated components too.

Why do you dwell on the "junkyard engine" bit? That's what you have isn't? What is the difference between a factory built engine that's worn out, and component pieces of several factory engines that are worn out and sold as one group? The answer seems obvious, just curious why you brought it up?
Guess my point got lost somewhere. The motor will stay in the corner of my garage. Maybe I will build it some day. Maybe Ebay or Craigslist. Since Chevrolet doesn't make these engines any longer, you are right, it's a junk yard motor!
Old 02-17-2009, 04:08 PM
kenba
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: PHOENIX AZ. WHAT A MAN WON"T SPEND TO GIVE HIS ASS A RIDE
Received 308 Likes on 222 Posts

Guess my point got lost somewhere. The motor will stay in the corner of my garage. Maybe I will build it some day. Maybe Ebay or Craigslist. Since Chevrolet doesn't make these engines any longer, you are right, it's a junk yard motor!
What was your point. You said gaging interest & what it's worth. You ask for it & got it. Why get your panties in a wad when people then give you there opining. You should have stated a price & then that would have been it. Remember Be careful what you ask for. You might get it.
PS Most of the posts about the value are right on sorry.
KEN
Old 02-17-2009, 07:15 PM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by kenba
What was your point. You said gaging interest & what it's worth. You ask for it & got it. Why get your panties in a wad when people then give you there opining. You should have stated a price & then that would have been it. Remember Be careful what you ask for. You might get it.
PS Most of the posts about the value are right on sorry.
KEN
No offense but you are wrong. I had a 7 blade fan I offered for sale and asked value also here on this forum. I was told maybe $50-$90. I sold it with buy it now for $300. This forum is limited to those who look here. And the more time I spend here, the more I see comments made that get away from the subject. I was offered $1200 for it about a year ago by a forum member. I did not want to sell it then. So I was checking for interest and found NO interest so it's not for sale. I don't need the money. It will sit in the corner for another unknown amount of time until someone with the need wants it or I decide to build it myself. PS....You may wear panties, I wear boxers if ya have to know!

Get notified of new replies

To Gauging interest in selling correct 327/365 engine block, crank, heads.

Old 02-17-2009, 07:32 PM
Grey Ghost
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My '65 has a July build date. Its running a 350 c.i.

The last engine that I had rebuilt about 8 years ago cost me $2500.00 for the machine work and building it. The cost of the parts, shipping, machine and build work would be a deal killer for me for a small block.

But, like you said, you may run across someone that can't live without it.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:45 PM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Grey Ghost
My '65 has a July build date. Its running a 350 c.i.

The last engine that I had rebuilt about 8 years ago cost me $2500.00 for the machine work and building it. The cost of the parts, shipping, machine and build work would be a deal killer for me for a small block.

But, like you said, you may run across someone that can't live without it.
Sounds like my 65. Born July 7, 1965. It also has a 350 in it. LT1 CE block 350/365 or 375hp. I was going to make it a correct 327/365 motor but you are right, cost to do so is not cheap and since I no longer have a correct rear or transmission, thought maybe someone who has correct stuff may need the motor. But if I sell it I might later regret it huh! It will be fine in the corner of the garage. If I ever sell the car, I will let it go with the car. Then if someone wants to re-stamp for correct numbers can do it. I won't.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:46 PM
kenba
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: PHOENIX AZ. WHAT A MAN WON"T SPEND TO GIVE HIS ASS A RIDE
Received 308 Likes on 222 Posts

No offense but you are wrong. I had a 7 blade fan I offered for sale and asked value also here on this forum. I was told maybe $50-$90. I sold it with buy it now for $300. This forum is limited to those who look here. And the more time I spend here, the more I see comments made that get away from the subject. I was offered $1200 for it about a year ago by a forum member. I did not want to sell it then. So I was checking for interest and found NO interest so it's not for sale. I don't need the money. It will sit in the corner for another unknown amount of time until someone with the need wants it or I decide to build it myself. PS....You may wear panties, I wear boxers if ya have to know!
For those that get it no explanation is needed. For you that don't none is possible. Ok so why not ask what you think it's worth. Cars for sale have to. Put it on EBAY Quit fishing & bitching because you caught no suckers.

Quick Reply: Gauging interest in selling correct 327/365 engine block, crank, heads.