Greetings from FNG

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 10:52 AM
82XFire
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Greetings from FNG

Greetings Vette Forum Members!

I am a first time Vette owner, a new forum member and would like to intro myself and my situation.
I recently obtained from the 1st owner, an all original 1982 Collector Edition.
Car was babied for the first 15 years, then it went under a cover outside in the Dallas Metro area. Recently uncovered the previous owner, refurbed the entire suspension and chassis, new T-tops and seals, new radiator and heater core, new computer/dist/wires/plugs/air cleaners, brakes(cheapo pads though), tires, all vacuum related pieces including resevoirs and hoses and some interior pieces. All GM parts mind you. Except for the brake pads...

If it wasn't a high mileage car, I might be headed for a complete resto. However, it is a prime candidate for a resto/mod project.
Anyone looking for some original parts (rebuildable) to complete their resto project?
I will be replacing many of the factory original parts and might be interested in helping out any restoration projects out there...

In the meantime, I'm replacing the exhaust gaskets, figuring out a belt/alternator noise, replacing the cheapo brake pads and caliper pins, installing new regulators and power window motors, window and lock switches, door weatherstripping, A/C console face plate, and putting on a mini-mask to cover the previous owner's parking lot tattoos. It has been a fun couple of weeks getting familiar with her.

She likes me to play under her hood, even though I haven't taken her top(s) off yet!

Any comments, suggestions (alternator/heat shield noise after exhaust manifold replacement), or other corvette tips/knowledge will be greatly appreciated.

VLTW

Old 03-30-2005, 11:27 AM
82XFire
Racer

Default Weekend project anyone

Anyone in the metro PHX area interested in becoming a Vette mentor?
Old 03-30-2005, 01:55 PM
burners
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Glad to have you with us and congratulations on your purchase. That's a nice looking Vette you have there. There are a few guys in the Phoenix area (Casa Grande as well) so hopefully they will chime in at some point. I don't have any general tips but feel free to ask a question anytime you need to know something.

As for the belt noise, is it making noise at idle or above a certain rpm. Do you have all the belts installed? Many times you need all the blets installed in order to keep one from slipping.
Old 03-30-2005, 03:50 PM
82XFire
Racer

Default Thank you for the response! Glad to be here.

I have lurked around on the forum for about two years. You guys have got a great community and still one of the largest on the net I believe. I look forward to becoming intertwined with the Vette world and getting rid of all my spare relaxation time in order to maintain my sweet machine.

Back to the issue:
I only loosened the alternator enought to get at the front manifold bolts and plugs.
I never touched any of the other belts or assemblies.
I looked during reassembly, but do not see a specific wear mark on the bracket to line up with. I'm not sure if its too tight or what. It has about 1.5 inches of play in the belt between the alt and the main pulley (top). The alternator is very new and consistently puts out good juice per the gauges and my meter.
Would loosening and then re-tightening cause a belt to start making noises? Based on forum searches I now know it can, but it is way beyond just a squeal.
It starts the instant the motor turns and seems to carry on just a bit after it is turned off (still rotating).

Diagnosis:
Belt too tight....
Possibly a non-sealing exhaust gasket?????
Possibly a non-correctly installed heatshield vibrating against the manifold???
Based on some other searches here on the forum, there are several possible explanations....

I'm going to start it up again tonight and try to isolate it a bit more. I'm going to remove the belt and make sure it is the alternator/belt first. Then go from there.
Old 03-30-2005, 04:00 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Ok, so what's FNG? I'm not up on my abreviations since I lost my list.
Old 03-30-2005, 04:03 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Welcome to the forum

JugHead you didn't loose your ADR again did you ?
Old 03-30-2005, 04:04 PM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Jughead

I believe that's F****** New Guy!
Old 03-30-2005, 04:14 PM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

In case you are not aware, there is a site... corvettefaq.com It's a library of information including many post from this forum. Check it out.
Old 03-30-2005, 04:23 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by MotorHead
Welcome to the forum

JugHead you didn't loose your ADR again did you ?

To me, ADR means Adverse Drug Reaction???

Old 03-30-2005, 04:27 PM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Congrats on the new toy. Should be lots of fun for you. I think Desertdawg is out your way and he has an 82 CE also. Hopefully he will chime in for you. The belt squealing sound like it may be too loose. Try tightening up on it just a little and see what happens. Hope you get it figured out.
Old 03-30-2005, 04:30 PM
fast idle
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1 1/2" of play is too much, it should be about 1/2" of movement total on most any belt.
on another note, get hold of a stethoscope, remove the chest pad and use a piece of rubber hose instead.put the open end of the tube on various parts while the noise is happening, when you find the cause you will hear it loud and clear.
Old 03-30-2005, 06:19 PM
82XFire
Racer

Default "#$%@^ing" New Guy"

Komo- you are abosolutely correct on the FNG definition.
Frankenvette- Roger that website: corvettefaq.com will report there and research as necessary.
Eddie- Thank you for attaching the pic, I'm not that far to post attachments yet. Will fine tune my forum abilities once I fine tune the 82. Dawg and I have met in another post, I may try to talk him into coming by the house and giving me his .02 in person.
Fast Idle- I will adjust to 1/2" and see how that goes over. If it is the Alt is sounds more like a binding. The belt is not making any noise that I can tell, more like a metal to metal or pulley/bearing... More to follow on that later tonight after I continue my diagnose further. I am going to obtain a stetho and apply as needed.

Thank you all for your welcomes and advice.

VLTW
Old 03-30-2005, 06:35 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

To me, ADR means Adverse Drug Reaction???

Acronym Decoder Ring, I have mine on every day I work in the high tech/propeller hat sector
Old 03-30-2005, 06:55 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by MotorHead
Acronym Decoder Ring, I have mine on every day I work in the high tech/propeller hat sector

Old 03-30-2005, 10:14 PM
82XFire
Racer

Default See this before?

I found the source of the noise. Cracked lower alt mount bracket. All the way through and way outta wack. The crack is old and full of dirt and crap, looks to have been around a while. The alt was cranked way out when I found it, after I loosened and then re-tighten to 1/2" inch play (thx fast idle) the alt fins were it still contacting the alum mount and making a horrible, expensive (steel on aluminum at a high rate of speed, we've all heard that... and loved it... ). I knew the belt was quiet after i started it again, but after placing my hand on the alt at speed, I could feel the impact through the case. If the hood flipped up the way boring cars do, I would have been staring at the crack every time I opened it. Any ideas on sourcing, MAD, CA, or are these laying around in more convenient locations (parts stores and stocked on shelves) I have pics pending in my gallery check out the crack and note the "special alt mount angle".
Old 03-31-2005, 02:28 AM
Desertdawg
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by 82XFire
Dawg and I have met in another post, I may try to talk him into coming by the house and giving me his .02 in person.
Brandon, I'm sure we can work something out, I would love to come over and break something...

What part of town are you in???
Old 03-31-2005, 08:56 AM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Try posting in the C3 Parts section and tell them what you are looking for and you may just get lucky on this one. Someone may have one and set you up at a good price.

Get notified of new replies

To Greetings from FNG

Old 03-31-2005, 11:28 AM
82XFire
Racer

Default Desert Dawg~PM Inbound

Maybe something on Sunday. I will running around most of Sat. If you bring the CE I am going to crawl around and take numerous pics of the engine compartment and the underside, that will help me decipher what has been monkeyed with and what hasn't. Beyond that, I have many parts that need to be installed. Door regs and motors are sitting ready to go in, console switches and door switches are ready to go in, AC face plate, brake components, all kinds of crap.

One thing though....

How well do you get along with large German Shepherds???
If you are on property you will need to meet and greet, or he will not give us a moment's peace. WOOF! WOOF! WOOF!
Once you meet, he turns into a puppy. Until then...
Old 04-01-2005, 12:47 AM
Desertdawg
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '09

I'm always willing to get down and share a chew bone with a German Shepard!!!

BTW, I prefer the BBQ flavor ones...

Sounds like you have a big project in front of you, Glad to see another CE come back to life...

BTW,
I PMed back about Saturday before I read this thread.
Old 04-01-2005, 03:05 AM
stingr69
Le Mans Master

Received 1,039 Likes on 805 Posts

I always thought it stood for Fat Newbie Guy ?

-Mark

Quick Reply: Greetings from FNG