Sponsored by:

exhaust question...detroit to cali

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 09:38 PM
onaqwst
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Default exhaust question...detroit to cali

well, i might be moving from detroit to cali.....santa monica area... at the end of summer and would like to know what are the requirements for exhaust systems for my 77.....

b
Old 03-31-2005, 10:27 PM
EVIL_GRIM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pre 75' doesnt have to be smogged. so anything newer must have smog equipment unless you know someone at DMV. smog every 2 years, must have cat, and all the A.I.R tubes and egr and crap that runs along with the smogging.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:03 PM
onaqwst
Le Mans Master

mang....... wonder if i can get a lost title and say it was a 75...... by the time i'm done u won't know what year it is anyways... u think the vin's will still go back that far?....... i chromed out the rear end and the last i want to do is have some exhaust running through it.....

b
Old 03-31-2005, 11:05 PM
81' Corvette Guy
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank "THE GOVENATOR" for the new stinkin laws...Joe!
Old 03-31-2005, 11:21 PM
fast idle
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow,that gotta hurt.Here in my home province of Nova Scotia,we have only one "sniffer machine" for the whole province.
there was a documentary on the other night saying that if they put cats on all new "small"engines,we could reduce emisssions by 20-25 percent.
maybe we can lobby congress, pay twenty bucks more for the new lawnmower with the "mini" convertor,and leave the antique and custom car folks alone.
just some food for thought. mike
Old 04-01-2005, 12:35 AM
74FLCONV
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by onaqwst
mang....... wonder if i can get a lost title and say it was a 75...... by the time i'm done u won't know what year it is anyways... u think the vin's will still go back that far?....... i chromed out the rear end and the last i want to do is have some exhaust running through it.....
You're better off solving the issues before the move. Once your car gets into California's "system", your life will become a smoggy, living hell.

CA will inquire to MI as to the VIN. That will reveal the actual year. You can try "washing" the VIN in MI by "re-building" and titling the car as "home-made" or "rebuilt". Know anyone giving away a '75 frame/body with title?

D. Ocean
Miami, FLA
Old 04-01-2005, 08:19 AM
onaqwst
Le Mans Master

so, if i get my system done in mi and get the tabs and all that and i move to cali will i have to install all the smog stuff....last thing i want to do is to build the exhaust twice..

b

Get notified of new replies

To exhaust question...detroit to cali

Quick Reply: exhaust question...detroit to cali