Sponsored by:

Explain this

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 01:14 PM
basketcase69
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Explain this

I just checked my frame serial number after pulling the body off. The number stamped on the frame is different from the body and engine. The last 8 of the body and engine are 9S732148 and the numbers on the frame are 9S732147. Anyone ever seen this before? Someone out there has my chassis. Mine is a 350/350 car but I thought it was odd that I had a 3.08 gear.
Old 04-02-2005, 01:40 PM
docmow
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

my best guess would be they put on the assambly line frames in wrong order moer than likely will not make any differnce
Old 04-02-2005, 02:08 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

a few years ago I met a guy who had worked at the vette assembly plant in the early 70's. He told me that sometimes guys would just mess around with the #'s because they were bored also he said that some VIN tags were totally mixed up and the guys just attached whatever they grabbed. He used an example of a 72 bb coupe having an id of a 72 base vert.
Old 04-02-2005, 02:23 PM
robertmc48
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by gdh
a few years ago I met a guy who had worked at the vette assembly plant in the early 70's. He told me that sometimes guys would just mess around with the #'s because they were bored also he said that some VIN tags were totally mixed up and the guys just attached whatever they grabbed. He used an example of a 72 bb coupe having an id of a 72 base vert.
When I was in the Marines...I knew a guy who worked at the Corvette plant in St. Louis. His job was to put on voltage regulators...four bolts and washers I believe. He told me he never put on the washers....he put them in his pocket and threw them away. I don't know if it's true or not...just what I was told. Sounds like a union worker to me though.
Old 04-02-2005, 03:34 PM
platato
Pro

Location: The Armpit of Illinois Platato says..... "Sometimes your the windshield & sometimes your the bug".
St. Jude Donor '05

with all of the above! Sounds to me like you are just fine and what's better, you have a really neat story to tell people about your Vette. If the numbers were a couple hundred off than maybe you'd have a problem.

Congratulations on your great example of St. Louis Assembly Plant production history!

STW!

Platato

Gotta go check out my car, I'm hoping the plant ran out of L81's and they stuck in a surplus ZL1

Last edited by platato; 04-02-2005 at 03:39 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Explain this

Quick Reply: Explain this