Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would you want in a repair shop?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2005, 12:20 PM
sparkys78
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would you want in a repair shop?

I've been a GM tech for 23 years. I have been a big Corvette enthusiast and owner. I've been looking at opening my own shop here in Colorado and would like input from Vette owners on what they would expect from a shop. I would like to specialize in C1-C3 repairs. Somehow these years of cars seem to get overlooked by other Corvette shops. Thanks for the input!
Old 04-03-2005, 12:29 PM
74FLCONV
Melting Slicks

Here's my list:

1) CLEAN! If the shop is spotless, that tells me the owner is a meticulous mechanic.

2) No "dipsheet" flunkies. When I visit a shop, I look at the employees. The owner might be sharp as a tack, but I don't want some toasted burnout working on my car (like the stoner punk that didn't tighten the hose clamps on my fuel fill...(Astro van)).

3) No arguments! I hate it when I go a shop and know what I want and how I want it. Then, the owner or service writers starts a debate about why it should be done this way (read: his way). I told a boat mechanic that before starting my boat, they must pull the plugs and fog the cylinders. Boat (saltwater) had been sitting without running for 6+ months. Didn't want ring problems. Mechanic said it wasn't necessary and they started it without fogging...

D. Ocean
Miami, FLA
Old 04-03-2005, 12:54 PM
DJ Dep
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'07

Sparky: Not really a tech/performance topic and you'd probably get better responses posting this in the General area. Just a suggestion

Dep
Old 04-03-2005, 01:01 PM
jimcork1
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Ability to discuss issues

One of the most important issues to me (other that previous post) is the ability to discuss tech problems. It is ok for the shop to say, We aren't sure",, but never try to sell a bill of goods. Too many times a shop will assume the owner is a "dunderhead" and not know when being snowed. Sometimes the owner really knows but doesn't want to do the work for health or family time reasons and would prefer a pro. to do the work,, but this doesn' t mean the owner isn't capable and doesn't understand.

Building a TRUST relationship on HONEST work will build business.

Just my $.02 worth. 99 Nassau Blue
Old 04-03-2005, 01:19 PM
sparkys78
6th Gear

Thanks for the tips guys! I didn't know about the general area-will post there. I would agree-a clean shop is very important. I want to do all the work myself and not hire anyone to help me-quality is very important to me and you lose control of that with other employees. A large number of Vette owners are very well informed about their cars. I respect that and listen to my customers. Nobody knows it all and if you have that attitude your in trouble! These cars are very special to people and involving the customer in the repair process is very important. Getting the car in and done quickly and correctly should be top priority. I am doing work now and only do 1 car at a time. This works out great because attention is focused on getting the car done and done right! I'm sure nobody likes to have their car pushed to the back of the shop for weeks-I sure wouldn't!
Old 04-03-2005, 01:49 PM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I made the transition from Tech to Service Manager years ago. What helped me greatly to sell work was knowing how jobs were done. I've seen lots of 'service advisors' before that have never turned a wrench and I always saw it as a weakness compared to myself. Not to mention that flat-rate techs have a tendency to exagerrate labor times and when you have to look a customer in the eye, you must know that the labor you are charging is a fair rate.

Especially in a specialty shop!

Another suggestion: Keep the front office clean and the service desk too. Women look at this stuff and they are a major component of running a shop ... don't ever EVER underestimate that fact. Keep the bathrooms spotless.

To run a shop you must minimize what you need to outsource. To run a specialty shop you need to have lots of resources locally - i.e. in house:
  • Welding Facility
  • Parts Cleaning - a sandbox not just a solvent tank
  • Specific shipping/receiving area
  • Diagnostic equipt if not a Dyno, then at least a gas analyzer
  • VERY sharp diagnosticians
  • People that speak good English

Many techs have trouble making the transition into Manager either because of that last bullet point, or because they have a problem speaking in front of people. Sales and Service are vastly different and need to be treated as such.

If it fits for you, join a Toastmasters Club that is in your area. It will develop your speaking skills to a great degree, I promise! I had been in Sales and Management for over ten years before I joined Toastmasters, and let me tell you it changed my communication skills dramatically.

When you can communicate better you can sell better. Period.

This is just the tip of the iceberg but I ran shops for a lot of years and even though I now am in a completely different line of work, when I visit a shop with ANY ONE of my cars, I still look for the same things.

Good luck and greetings from San Diego

Last edited by SanDiegoPaul; 04-03-2005 at 01:52 PM.
Old 04-03-2005, 02:38 PM
sparkys78
6th Gear

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like you've been around the block also. I was a shop foreman for 7 years and taught at the local college (auto technology) so I've started to hone those skills. Its been a long time since I've worked with a good advisor-anymore the shops-or dealers- push the service people so hard dishonesty can result. Thats part of the reason I would like to open my own place!
Old 04-03-2005, 02:58 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,617 Likes on 1,338 Posts

Hey Sparky,
Some local guys have pushed me to open a vette/machine shop too. I don't know about that yet, but if I walked in your C3 shop I would look at this:

1- Condition of shop. Is it clean, organised and well laid out?
2-How do you clean parts- cleaning tank, tumbler, ultrasonic, pressure washer?
3- What type of C1 to C3 work do you do? general, body, custom?
4- What type of tools do you have?
5- Do you farm out work,if so what type?
6- Do you stock parts, buy locally, or use vette suppliers
7- What is your warranty on parts and repairs
8- How much experience on vettes do you have and where did you start?

If you passed those questions I would ask more specific questions on repair/rebuilding.

How do you setup the rear bearings, steering box, differentials, posi's, Muncies, front suspension. I'm not too concerned about engines because there are 42 million SBC mechanics out there and just as many books, videos, resources. But if you said "I send the T arms out, I use rebuilt boxes, I send the rearends or transmissions to the local vette shop" I wouldn't stay.

Granted I would be much more demanding then 99% of the guys that might walk in your shop. Since I do all this stuff I would know very quickly to give you the keys or walk out the door.

Now having a topless centerfold for a receptionist might help too

Good luck with your place, if you need help let me know!

Gary

Last edited by gtr1999; 04-03-2005 at 03:03 PM.
Old 04-03-2005, 03:16 PM
jdmick
Safety Car

My guidelines are in order of importance as follows, regardless of the exact type of shop.
1. Do the job right the first time.
2. Get it done when you say it will be done.
3. Charge fairly.

The point is I'm willing to pay a little more to get the job done right and in a timely fashion. Good luck.
Old 04-03-2005, 03:51 PM
w1ctc
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not in the auto repair business but since many of the C2-C3 cars are going for 50 to 100K, you may want to think about how cars of similar value are serviced. One thing that would set you apart would be a folder with the service done information and pictures at vaious stages. Not expensive to do but adds some class.
Old 04-03-2005, 04:49 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

That'd be a tough business. Most people want Sax Fifth Ave quality at Walmart prices.
Old 04-03-2005, 06:05 PM
sparkys78
6th Gear

Thanks for the info GTR1999! Thats what I like-honesty. I have done everything you have listed. I don't trust other people to rebuild stuff for me-trans, trailing arms, steering boxes included. I have done this stuff enough times its easy for me. I've been with GM for so long I actually worked on C3's under warranty! Man that makes me feel old! I have been charging $60 an hour-work is warranted for 12 mo, 12,000 miles. No warranty on customer parts-I've found that a lot of people like to purchase their own parts-and thats fine with me.
Old 04-03-2005, 06:09 PM
DJ Dep
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '05-'07

Hey Sparky...how about a tech question for you to keep this thread "legal"?

I am converting my Vette from stick to auto. I yanked out a Turbo 400/454 combo. Installing a Richmond T-10 in it's place...probably with a smallblock. I know the big block driveshaft is a bigger diameter (2 1/2 inches) compared to the manual trans driveshaft (2 inches). Are the LENGTHS the same. Year of car is 1972. you can answer here or in my auto-to-stick thread.

Thanks!
Dep

Last edited by DJ Dep; 04-03-2005 at 06:14 PM.
Old 04-03-2005, 08:29 PM
Ryan77
Drifting

Originally Posted by jdmick
My guidelines are in order of importance as follows, regardless of the exact type of shop.
1. Do the job right the first time.
2. Get it done when you say it will be done.
3. Charge fairly.

The point is I'm willing to pay a little more to get the job done right and in a timely fashion. Good luck.
Having it done when you say it will be done is very important to me, but mainly with my work trucks, not as much with my vette. I rely on my truck to run my business, so if it's down for a week, so am I. I've dropped it off for repair scheduled for a monday, and sometimes the mechanic won't touch it until thursday, this really makes me P.O.ed. I wouldn't care as much if there was a reason, but it seems everytime it happens to me, they say "sorry, we just didn't get to it, maybe tommorow" and it goes for a couple days like that. That's why I like your idea of 1 car at time, don't start anything else until it's finished
Old 04-03-2005, 10:40 PM
jcswm
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like you I've been a dealership Tech for many years. Now I run a small shop (I'm NOT the owner) I have an attractive female answer the phone and greet the customers, but all my customers know I'm there ALL THE TIME!!! I personally make sure every car is diagnosed properly & I DON'T try to sell people stuff they don't need!!! Try to avoid subletting ANYTHING out...... It's your reputation on the line, do it yourself!!!
Corvette owners are different than other car owners..... if you tell a customer they need a new carb.... they'll take the car home..... buy a carb or have Lars look at it and if the carb is not the problem, your name is Mud!!! Make sure YOU look at every car!!!!
last but not least...... get a good accountant.... Gotta keep the IRS happy or you won't be around long enough to make a living!!!
Old 04-03-2005, 10:45 PM
Oldguard 7
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 74FLCONV
Here's my list:

1) CLEAN! If the shop is spotless, that tells me the owner is a meticulous mechanic.

2) No "dipsheet" flunkies. When I visit a shop, I look at the employees. The owner might be sharp as a tack, but I don't want some toasted burnout working on my car (like the stoner punk that didn't tighten the hose clamps on my fuel fill...(Astro van)).

3) No arguments! I hate it when I go a shop and know what I want and how I want it. Then, the owner or service writers starts a debate about why it should be done this way (read: his way). I told a boat mechanic that before starting my boat, they must pull the plugs and fog the cylinders. Boat (saltwater) had been sitting without running for 6+ months. Didn't want ring problems. Mechanic said it wasn't necessary and they started it without fogging...

D. Ocean
Miami, FLA
#3 Is a two edged sword. The technician to whom you are speaking with may know these vehicles a lot better than you and how to service/repair them. One should not go into a repair facility and try to tell the technician how to do their job. ESPECIALLY if they KNOW what they are taking about and doing) If I owned a shop and I knew what I was doing and how to do it...... I would tell you to go to another shop. Shop owners with the technical experience will make more money
by turning the know it alls away. Im playing devils advocate with this statement.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:16 AM
74FLCONV
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Oldguard 7
#3 Is a two edged sword. The technician to whom you are speaking with may know these vehicles a lot better than you and how to service/repair them. One should not go into a repair facility and try to tell the technician how to do their job. ESPECIALLY if they KNOW what they are taking about and doing) If I owned a shop and I knew what I was doing and how to do it...... I would tell you to go to another shop. Shop owners with the technical experience will make more money
by turning the know it alls away. Im playing devils advocate with this statement.
I wish they had turned me away. Then I wouldn't have been billed $1300 for sheety work (and possible damage to my rings). Had to re-do most of the stuff myself (underwater!).

I didn't tell them how to do their job. I told them how I wanted the job done. In this instance, I did know more than these mechanics.

D. Ocean
Miami, FLA

Get notified of new replies

To What would you want in a repair shop?

Old 04-04-2005, 02:29 AM
gsfgf
Pro

Discussing what you're gonna do is fine. Arguing, or just plain disregarding the owner without telling him and letting him explain himself, is bad.
Old 04-04-2005, 03:20 AM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

You are going to need help, and obviously it will have to be good help. Most people are going to want reasonable turnaround time. If you have more than 2 customers and they want something like new brakes or a clutch you are going to get backed up pretty quick, and people get impatient. I can see starting out doing all the work yourself but hopefully your business will pick up and you will need help pretty soon. There are also plenty of jobs where an extra pair of hands helps a lot.
Old 04-04-2005, 03:44 AM
Love My 72 and 77
Drifting

I think a good reputation is the most important thing to me. One of the best mechanics in my town is in an alley and does honest quality work.

Quick Reply: What would you want in a repair shop?