Going the other way - TA removed - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

C3 General
General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going the other way - TA removed

Old 04-03-2005, 02:11 PM   #1
SLine78
CF Senior Member

Default Going the other way - TA removed

Started the day with visions of the cruise I would be taking, once I installed my reconditioned half-shalfs in the 78. Well that didn't last long. Was getting ready to install the driver's side half-shaft and took a closer look at the rear spindle and nut. That's when I noticed therre was no cotter pin, because the spindle was broken at that point.

Now needing to replace the spindle, I decided to go ahead and pull the whole trailing arm. I did get lucky and it all came apart relatively easy. Didn't even have a problem knocking the trailing arm bolt out. That slightly reduced my frustration of needing a new spindle and the thought of now many miles I had driven around like that.

I plan to at least remove the bearing assembly from the trailing arm. May even get a spindle knocker and remove the spindle myself. Haven't decided if I will turn the old spindle into a setup tool and do the bearings myself.

I plan to POR-15 the trailing arm and install new poly bushings. I am also going to get a SS parking brake kit, along with new spring bolts, cushions and cups. I already have new Bilstien shocks, adjustable strut rods and painted rear calipers that I rebuilt with the O-ring conversion kit that I will install when I reassemble it all.

Then I can turn the vette around and do the passenger side. Still anticipating the cruise after completing it all. I guess that will have to wait until after the short drive to the alignment shop.

Mike
SLine78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • Going the other way - TA removed
  •