Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by 82Vette'ster
Always liked the idea of a HUD if blended in well.

I wonder if it would handle the heat of the Arizona sun on the dash, say at the mall for several hours on Saturdays. Outside Air temp at 117, interior temp >145 (my thermometer blanked after that) and "in the sun" dash temps? maybe 160 to 180? I think I'd end up finding out how good their warranty was.
That's a good question. I wonder what the lowest temps it could handle would be as well. We'll have to have someone in Canada install one too.
Old 04-13-2005, 10:37 PM
81 Vette
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05
First C3 General Poster!

pick me pick me pick me!!!!!
Old 04-13-2005, 11:26 PM
barkingowl
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

How would the sensors be placed & the wiring routed? I'm an electrical newbie. :bb
Old 04-14-2005, 01:21 AM
81 Vette
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '05
First C3 General Poster!

neither should be a problem, any sensor wiring just goes through the firewall and there is a fair bit of room under the dash to run up to the HUD unit... I think its doable. I should ask my audio installer guy about it, hes crazy ALL day that guy, if its possible, he'll know.
Old 04-14-2005, 09:25 AM
barkingowl
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by 81 Vette
I think its doable. I should ask my audio installer guy about it, hes crazy ALL day that guy, if its possible, he'll know.
You could ask him if the song titles could be displayed on it too.
Old 04-14-2005, 10:06 AM
PhotoVette1
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just bought a HUD system off ebay; to experiment with. Then I thought to myself that it's really pointless--as long as the radar detector is on the dash, I have all the speed information I need. Light goes on, apply brakes...
Old 04-14-2005, 03:02 PM
81 Vette
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '05
First C3 General Poster!

Yea but there is a coolness factor about it though, I mean Corvettes are cool already, but why not try to get a new toy? I havent had a chance to go talk to the boys at the shop, Im in the middle of exams not a lot of fun, but Ill talk to him sooner or later. If anyone else has any idea though, I think HUD would be badass.
Old 04-14-2005, 03:16 PM
DropTopBigBlock
Pro

Originally Posted by 81 Vette
Yea but there is a coolness factor about it though, I mean Corvettes are cool already, but why not try to get a new toy? I havent had a chance to go talk to the boys at the shop, Im in the middle of exams not a lot of fun, but Ill talk to him sooner or later. If anyone else has any idea though, I think HUD would be badass.

if you happen to drive *ahem* "spiritedly" it lets you watch your speed and RPM's without the danger of taking your eyes off the road, so it's got some practical value as well.
i've got a column-mounted tach at the moment, and it's killing me to have to stop, look down and check what i'm turning to decide to shift or not. better to be able to check it without looking down . . .

good luck with exams!
Old 04-14-2005, 05:13 PM
barkingowl
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

I have the HUD in my C5 & it is really handy to be able to look over the steering wheel & see all the information displayed. Often if its off & I try to glance at the gauges I worry that in the instant that I drop my eyes something might change for the worse on the road ahead. I think that the technology is long overdue for us & I'm sure that we can find a way to adapt it to our needs.
Old 04-14-2005, 05:54 PM
BBShark
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05-'07

Using the C5 HUD would require the use of a couple of C5 "contol modules". You would need (at least) the ECM, BCM and many of the sensors or some type of emulation. They are all interrelated. For example, the radio communicates with the gauge cluster. If you are driving along in your C5 at 38mph with your drivers window down, this information is transferred to your radio and the volume is adjusted! This is just the tip of the iceburg. You could probably disable this and other functions but it would require a development program that would be expensive.

The aftermarket HUD that was referred to earlier in this post is probably the only option however a number of people on other forums have had difficulties with the installation.
Old 04-14-2005, 06:09 PM
81 Vette
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '05
First C3 General Poster!

Yea that dynamic range volume controler is standard on a lot of aftermarket HU and it is no big deal to turn it off. I think aftermarket would be the only way to go, I think as logn as youre using all electric guages there will be a way to wire the HUD with that info. Im confident its possible.
Old 04-15-2005, 04:25 PM
81 Vette
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '05
First C3 General Poster!

Aight boys, well after pondering a few things and getting some advice, I have come ot the conclusion that it IS entirely possible to do a HUD system in a C3.

http://www.defi-shop.com/product/con...ncept_top.html

This system from DEFI utilizes their own sensors that go to a sort of CPU and redistribution center, you use their guages, their sensors, their CPU thing, their HUD unit, and its all gravey. Its the best all-inclusive system Ive seen, in fact its the only all inclusive system Ive seen. I dont see a reason why it wont work, unless you can tell me otherwise!

Quick Reply: HUD In A Shark...