Welding class?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 03:33 PM
The_Dude
Team Owner

Received 473 Likes on 140 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '16-'17

Originally Posted by Hvymtlc5
While were talking welding my mig welder has a gas bottle attachment. What will that do for me in terms of better welding? Also the 110 machine I bought (4 heat ranges - multi spped adjustment) seems to feed too fast and piles up the wire without welding deep into the metal...any fix action (thicker/thinner wire)? I know this isn't Vett stuff BUT we were on the subject....
Gas will allow you to not use flux core wire, which in turn will give you cleaner welds with less spatter and no slag.
You should have both a wire speed (may be called amperage) and voltage control. Turn up the volts and turn down the wire speed.
Old 04-12-2005, 03:41 PM
Hvymtlc5
Melting Slicks

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

yep - got piles of slag and no joint formed..just slag piled up - feed is turned all the way down. Welder wasn't real cheap, but must need the gas to work right
Old 04-12-2005, 03:46 PM
The_Dude
Team Owner

Received 473 Likes on 140 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '16-'17

No, you shouldn't need gas with most types of fluxcore wires. Make sure you don't have one of the types that does require gas.
If the feed is turned all the way down, that wire should be moving really slow. If it's not, you have a problem with the machine.
Old 04-12-2005, 04:31 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You have the wire speed way too low, the slag is because the wire shorts (short circuit transfer) and is burned away all the way to the tip and then new wire comes out, arcs again, burns away..and so on. Basically all you're doing is dropping ugly blobs of molten wire on and not putting any heat in the work piece, weld hot and turn up the wire speed. It should make a nice sizzling sound, if you turn up the volts (heat) real high and the wire speed you will go into spray transfer mode, which makes an electrical sound, very distinctive.
The wire speed is the amperage control on the MIG welder, the higher the wire speed the higher the amperage.
Don't be afraid to weld hot. Also make sure you V groove the stuff you want to join for full penetration.

Last edited by Twin_Turbo; 04-12-2005 at 04:39 PM.
Old 04-13-2005, 03:21 PM
Hvymtlc5
Melting Slicks

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

Good point...I just continued to turn the feed down to the last (slowest) postion. Teh wire was always sticken to the end of the feed nozzle, I'll try the reverse and see if that makes the difference your talking about - THANKS!
Old 04-14-2005, 12:00 PM
bhays
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 135 Lincoln Mig and have gotten to where I can do decent welds, all self taught. I have always needed a torch setup, so I just bought one of these after seeing them in the new Eastwood catalog. I am looking forward to using it to do some tig type stuff. You can get them on eBay for about $150 less than the Eastwood price.

http://www.cut-like-plasma.com/

Watch the videos on the streaming video page, if it works at all like the video for cutting sheet metal and steel and welding, it is the best all around garage tool ever.

I will report back more once I get a chance to try mine out.

Quick Reply: Welding class?