C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! Antifreeze leaking into interior???

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2005, 02:10 PM
Macs73
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Antifreeze leaking into interior???

I just picked up the 73' yesterday. My "Guy" that stores my vette also does some work on it if needed during storage time. He has 30 yrs experience on vettes. He said the vette needed a new heater core. He turned on the heat and white smoke came out of the vent during a test run. I never use the heat in the vette it is only driven during the warm months here. Plus I knew about turning on the heat will cause smoke to come out. It happen to me once. He bypassed the heater core unit. Well this morning there was what smells and looks like antifreeze to me on the passenger side. The floor mat and carpet were soaked with the liquid. The vette was at a incline on the driveway when noticed (about 5 min.) It sat in the garage over night. No fluid leaks on the driveway or on the garage floor. A 50/50 mix of water and antifreeze were added yesterday (sat.) before I picked it up. The temp gauge use to "spike" making us think the temp. sender unit may not be working. He also noticed that the antifreeze level was low and that maybe not enough coolant was being sent when temp. got up to high. Added coolant and no spiking of the temp. gauge. Couple questions:

1) What happen???? Did the bypass cause this leak into the interior.

2) Why no fluids on the ground but in the Vette??

3) Will all the carpet need to be replaced or just a really good detailing shop?

4) Will it leak again the next time it is driven?? (to the shop)

Any info from you guys and gals would be great. Thanks

Last edited by Macs73; 04-17-2005 at 02:13 PM.
Old 04-17-2005, 03:43 PM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Replace the heater core...it's rotted
Old 04-17-2005, 04:55 PM
redwingvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 140 Likes on 74 Posts

Did you disconnect the hoses from the core and blow it out with air. Do not hook them back up to the core and it won't leak any more.
Old 04-17-2005, 05:54 PM
robertmc48
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by GDaina
Replace the heater core...it's rotted
yep..I had the same problem. As far a cleaning it up....I used a shop vac with the water pickup....did it for several days until nothing showed up. I'm not sure what else can be done except to replace the carpet.
Old 04-17-2005, 07:49 PM
rustbucket80
Racer

I plugged off my heater core and blew out the lines with the intention of replaceing the heater core. That was about five years ago. I think it makes the cockpit cooler in the summer.
Old 04-17-2005, 08:32 PM
jlsru
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

My 75 vert did the exact same thing.Coolant would only come out inside of car during take-off.Installed new haeder core and no more leak.My carpet cleaned up without having to replace.
Old 04-18-2005, 12:52 AM
Macs73
Instructor

Thanks for the info. I am getting some front end work done this week. Add heating core to the list along with carpet cleaning. I was going to replace the heating core this week or next but the fluid leak inside suprised me. I heard working on the heating core can be a pain in the you know what. Well I have not driven it in 6 months whats another week. Thanks again.
Old 04-18-2005, 01:45 AM
cosmicvette
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, heater core uses engine coolant to heat things up, it will rot if not used regularly. Same as all older cars. Once the core is replaced make a point of turning on the heater at least every month or so.

And in terms of keeping the interior cool during summer there is no need to disconnect the heater because then it may well rot more quickly if a bit of old coolant is left in there and there is no way to turn it on/off regularly. I have installed a manual valve in several cars in the engine bay on the inlet pipe for the heater and as soon as those warm spring days hit, just turn the valve and you won't get any heat in the cabin.

cosmicvette

Get notified of new replies

To HELP! Antifreeze leaking into interior???

Quick Reply: HELP! Antifreeze leaking into interior???