Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Console Trim Question for 78-82's

Old 04-18-2005, 11:20 AM
LABulldog
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Console Trim Question for 78-82's

Does anyone know the size of screws that are used to mount the console cover trim plate? This is the cover that has the gear shift in it. The AIM manual (page 78 for an '80) shows two different sizes (#3 & #6). Bubba has installed multiple size screws in this area and I'd like to use the correct sizes.

Also, I'm finding that most if not all of the screw "bosses" (the plastic mounting area where you screw the screw into) on my trim pieces are either cracked or broken. Is this normal for these older cars or did Bubba just over tighten and cracked the plastic. They don't give these cover plates away so replacing these pieces starts to get expensive.

Jay
Old 04-18-2005, 03:53 PM
Dave L.'s 81
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default plastic screw bosses

Use GM# 1377030. Just finished my interior last month.
Old 04-19-2005, 05:12 AM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 716 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by LABulldog
Also, I'm finding that most if not all of the screw "bosses" (the plastic mounting area where you screw the screw into) on my trim pieces are either cracked or broken. Is this normal for these older cars or did Bubba just over tighten and cracked the plastic. They don't give these cover plates away so replacing these pieces starts to get expensive.
Jay:

I've removed my trim panel a number of times and have avoided cracking the unit around the bosses but will say they are delicate and I tighten but don't over do it. I've looked at many of these late model trim plates (78-82) and haven't seen many cracked...sounds like yours has bubbaitis!

Get notified of new replies

To Console Trim Question for 78-82's

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Console Trim Question for 78-82's