New Member with a couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 10:10 AM
73lover
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member with a couple questions

Greetings All,

I'm a new member to the boards and a new (or soon to be) Corvette C3 owner. A little about me and my Vette...

I will be purchasing a Silver '73 L82 4 spd with under 50k original miles. The car is well documented all the way back to the orignial sale in Lincoln, NE. I know it's well documented because its previous two owners were my uncle and my dad. I took this car to my high school prom in 1994 (when I was 18). I love this car.

More about the car...my dad did what turned into a frame-on restoration of the car between 1994-2003. When possible he had parts rebuilt, re-chromed, etc rather than replace them new (with the exception of the A/C). I have receipts for everything from parts to the repaint done 2 years ago.

This brings me to my question about the car. Back in 1992 when my dad and I were taking the car to the Spearfish Corvette rally in Spearfish, SD, another enthusiast was looking at the engine and said the car had, "GM Slant-Plug Heads". He offered to buy them off my dad on the spot. We've also come to discover that the car has a (very) mild cam modification and solid lifters. We theorized the original owner attempted to turn it into an LT1 or something similar. Does anyone have any information on these Slant Plug Heads? I've Googled it and came up with nothing. I will not actually have posession of the car until June so any numbers or other details will have to wait until then.

I'm also looking for Corvette enthusiasts in the Orlando or Central Florida area. I'm assuming there's a Corvette Club chapter somewhere, but really I'm just looking for semi-organized fun for now.

Thanks for your help and drive on!
Daniel
Old 04-26-2005, 10:26 AM
comp
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HI ,,can you contact the guy and ask if he modded it
Old 04-26-2005, 01:21 PM
ACECO
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04 & '05

Can't help you w/the engine mods but welecome to the insanity anyway!

Lots of luck w/your future toy!

Old 04-26-2005, 02:16 PM
gerry72
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

As to the heads, Chevy never had an angle plug head used in production. They did make over the counter angle plugs. The 292 turbo head is the most common and notorious since this was "THE head to have" in the pre-aftermarket days. It unfortunately had soft seats and was intended for heavy porting(the 292 was the primary head used in the 331 inch Pro Stock days) so in stock "as cast" form it doesn't really flow any better than any other factory production head. The 370, and 742 were the others.

None of these heads are particularly valuable considering that we've all slept since the 70s and technology has marched on.
Old 04-26-2005, 02:28 PM
corvette78nate
Instructor

'73 L82 4 spd with under 50k original miles

Sweet!
Old 04-26-2005, 03:13 PM
73lover
Heel & Toe

Thanks for the replies. I was more curious about the heads than anything. Again, I'm only going off what the original owner told my dad about what had been done. I have no intentions of selling or removing the heads.

I've driven other L82's from the late 60's and early 70's and (I may be biased) but I think mine feels stronger. It will easily hang with LT1's and big blocks from the same era, so what ever was done it appeared to work.

And please forgive my lack of technical knowledge when it comes to cars. Computers are my thing, I just like reading about and driving cars. I can change the oil but that's about the extent of my technical knowledge.

Cheers!
Daniel
Old 04-26-2005, 03:19 PM
redwingvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 140 Likes on 74 Posts

Great, another 73 to see when you get pictures for us. Wecome to the forum.
Old 04-26-2005, 03:35 PM
73lover
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by redwingvette
Great, another 73 to see when you get pictures for us. Wecome to the forum.
I've noticed there are a lot of '73 owners on this site as well. I'm not sure if it's because of their popularity...I didn't think they were that popular...or if it was just a coincidence.

The 73 has always appealed to me...well, because my dad owned 3 of them and because of the front plastic/rear chrome bumper configuration.
Old 04-26-2005, 06:44 PM
2th farmer
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CI 6-8-9 Veteran

Originally Posted by 73lover
I've noticed there are a lot of '73 owners on this site as well. I'm not sure if it's because of their popularity...I didn't think they were that popular...or if it was just a coincidence.

The 73 has always appealed to me...well, because my dad owned 3 of them and because of the front plastic/rear chrome bumper configuration.
I own a Z06 and a nice 64 vert. BUT, I like the 73 better than both of them combined!! Too stupid to post pix. but, mine is also a L-82,4- speed vert. Congratulations and welcome
Old 04-26-2005, 08:04 PM
jcswm
Melting Slicks

The L-82 is in the garage but mine's a 4-speed 'vert also!!!
Old 04-26-2005, 08:43 PM
Red73
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the madness. Rod
Old 04-26-2005, 08:46 PM
cosmicvette
Melting Slicks

Welcome to the forum!

Looking forward to seeing some pics of your car. 73's look pretty cool!

Get notified of new replies

To New Member with a couple questions

Quick Reply: New Member with a couple questions