Sponsored by:

Block repair

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 07:45 PM
judge71
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Block repair

I've been stiffed big time .My #'s matching block is cracked and was hidden by a slimeball seller.Bottom line is I went into this without enough knowledge,nobodies fault but my own!!!The machine shop that has my engine mentioned a procedure called cross stitching to possibly repair it???? My questions are.Are there any other methods of repair out there? Do I repair this block in an effort to maintain the numbers or do I source a replacement? Is the value of having the correct block worth the trouble?If I were to sell this car down the road I would divulge this to the buyer,is a repaired block less valuable than an incorrect block and if so am I now at a point were #'s matching is no longer an option for this car??? I have no idea what my next step should be.
Old 05-06-2005, 08:29 PM
The_Dude
Team Owner

Received 473 Likes on 140 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '16-'17

If you're planning on keeping the car for a long time, get a different block and store the old one. That way you can put money into a reliable motor, yet keep the matching numbers for a future owner to repair.
Old 05-06-2005, 11:11 PM
R. Bruno
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The_Dude
If you're planning on keeping the car for a long time, get a different block and store the old one. That way you can put money into a reliable motor, yet keep the matching numbers for a future owner to repair.
I agree with this advice. BTW, don't be too hard on yourself over it. Many of us found little surprises after we bought our cars. Keep it in perspective - you will be doing plenty of repairs while you own a Vette!
Old 05-06-2005, 11:25 PM
Russ Bellinis
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you save the old block and put in a new one, you'll have a more reliable driver. Also, if you save the old block, they may come up with new technology to repair that old block by the time you are ready to sell the car.
Old 05-06-2005, 11:26 PM
BUGGSY1970
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would put a crate engine in the car and store the original. The value of the car will be deminished by a NOM or an original block that has been repaired, either way you are screwed to some degree. If you put a crate in it you can drive it have fun with it and when you are ready to sell it you give the new owner a choice -drive it or repair the block and bring it back to original specs.
Old 05-07-2005, 03:58 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by judge71
.....The machine shop that has my engine mentioned a procedure called cross stitching to possibly repair it???? My questions are.Are there any other methods of repair out there?......
sorry to hear about your bad luck....this is the same engine...the one crack is visible from the outside the other only when the intake came off...this think is toast.....and they are on different cylinder banks

edit: after pressue washing it we found even more cracks along the oil galley underneath the intake....
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by bobs77vet; 05-07-2005 at 10:42 PM.
Old 05-07-2005, 05:51 PM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by The_Dude
You never know what the future may hold. As long as you have the block you have options. When it's gone, you don't

Get notified of new replies

To Block repair

Quick Reply: Block repair