C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this a good idea? Possible fix for the vacuum headlights of doom...

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2005, 12:29 AM
Jack_Cooper
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this a good idea? Possible fix for the vacuum headlights of doom...

Well, my headlights are being a PITA again. I haven't been able to track down the source of the problem (though I believe it to be a vacuum leak of course.

However, I was just looking at the actuators when it occured to me that all they do is move a single rod back and forth. Everything else is mechanically handled via springs. So this gets me to thinking, and I go look at a 85 Nissan 300zx I've had sitting in my backyard for ages (it was my previous daily driver until the turbo seal blew out, taking a bearing with it due to oil loss). It also has pop-up headlights, and these are electric! They also operate on the single rod back and forth basis. The only difference is that the rods are bent rather than straight.

It therefore occurs to me that I could try to make a bracket and mount them in my vette in place of the vacuum actuators. The only problems I can forsee is if the travel isn't the same and also getting the rods properly attatched to the existing headlight hardware. Any thoughts on this mad plan? If the travel is too much or not enough, is there any way to fix that you think?

So yay or nay on the electric headlights plan?

- Jack Cooper
Old 05-08-2005, 12:43 AM
Sacredgrooves
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

it has been done,there may even be a kit for this. I remember reading a post on it a few months ago....
Old 05-08-2005, 12:50 AM
SkunkApe
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's a post (with pics) from a couple of days ago...

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...2&forum_id=119

Get notified of new replies

To Is this a good idea? Possible fix for the vacuum headlights of doom...

Quick Reply: Is this a good idea? Possible fix for the vacuum headlights of doom...