Sponsored by:

Whitey got toasted - not racing related

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 06:04 PM
bqce
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whitey got toasted - not racing related

Driving the Vette through Central Texas a couple of Saturdays ago. I had about 1/4 tank of gas for a couple of weeks in between driving. Filled up, drove for about 30 miles and the car began to run really rough, and lost power. I pulled over to see if I lost a vacuum line, or whether there was a problem with electrical. Engine was not running hot at all. When I pulled over, the engine died. I popped the hood and saw nothing out of the ordinary. I thought possibly I had gotten some bad gas, or perhaps something in the electrical side had heated up enough to get a small short in the ignition/distribution system. I tried restarting about every ten minutes for about 45 minutes. It started up then, and I idled it with a little throttle for a few minutes. It wouldn't stay running without a little help. I had to depart the car for a few moments while I voided some previously consumed fermented barley soup at the BBQ cookoff I drove the car to. When I got back to restart the car, it wouldn't start. When I released the ignition switch to go back to the off position, the next thing I know, there is smoke billowing out from under the hood. It was about twilight, so I could see the glow of the fire under the car. I thought for sure it would go out if I didn't raise the hood to feed it air. Wrong again Yak breath. It never went out and basically burned to the ground from the firewall forward. I did notice when the two fire departments from Smithville and La Grange put the fire out, that the ignition switch hadn't made it all the way back to the off position - which may explain why the fire never went out.

The point of my thread is this: I had Whitey insured through Hagerty. They are the best insurance company I have ever dealt with, and I have my other cars insured with USAA. I had no trouble collecting on the declared value, which was actually considerably more than I paid for it. No questions asked. I don't know how other insurance carriers are with their classic insurance, but Hagertys is just super.

Note: I looked to see if there were any insurance companies sponsoring this site, and I didn't see any, so I hope this is okay to post.

I don't know if this link will work, but it has the pix which aren't all that good.
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/kenwme...aq8.CBi7Wjei_H
Old 05-13-2005, 06:09 PM
67L36Driver
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Max Bummer!
Old 05-13-2005, 06:10 PM
Sharky Guam
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow! That is really bad. I am sorry to hear that she burned.

Old 05-13-2005, 06:10 PM
fl_rider
Drifting

Default That sucks

Glad you had good insurance, it still sucks that your Vette burnt.

Chris B
Old 05-13-2005, 06:11 PM
bqce
Instructor

Crap, I just noticed I posted this on the wrong board. Maybe the mods will move it to general. Sorry about that.
Old 05-13-2005, 06:12 PM
cosmicvette
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That would have been horrifying watching that happen to your vette.

Sorry to hear that dude. Im glad though everything worked out with insurance. Thats really good to hear.

Do you mind if I ask, what are your plans now?
Old 05-13-2005, 06:15 PM
judge71
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry about the loss of your vette,glad to see no one was hurt.

Hagerty gets alot of tv air time,it's nice to see they stand by their commitments as advertised.
Old 05-13-2005, 06:17 PM
DonBecker
Racer

That sucks.

I'm going out to buy a fire exstinguisher...what type do i need?

Oh, and, what is Hagerty's number? Do they insure daily drivers?
Old 05-13-2005, 06:42 PM
bqce
Instructor

My plans now are to look for the deal of a lifetime, just like the last one. They're out there is you're willing to be patient. Have any ideas?
Old 05-13-2005, 06:47 PM
bqce
Instructor

Another note: I called the towing service as soon as I pulled over, because the esposa didn't want to be waiting for a tow truck in the dark while I was dicking with the thing. The tow truck got there just as the fire started. The driver had what I think was a 2 pound extinguisher, but neither he nor I wanted to lift the hood (in hindsight - shoulda done it.) We tried extinguishing the fire through the louvres and underneath, but to no avail. One interesting point was after the fire was going for a little while, the hood bubbled up right over the air filter and for a few seconds, it looked like a BB hood.
Old 05-13-2005, 07:09 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Man that's bad! Sorry about your loss...

I had a car catch fire once while I was in the middle of rush hour. I had propped up the hood and removed the air cleaner to try and help evaporate a flooded carb. When we tried to start it again, a backfire occurred and started the engine on fire. The flames in daylight are very hard to see. I thought about it for about 1 second, then threw a blanket I had in the back seat over the engine. The fire went out immediately.

Of course, someone had already called the fire dept. and they created a big scene and commotion. After all was said and done, I ended up clearing the engine and driving away.

In my experience, gasoline burns rapidly, but if there isn't a continuous source, it will burn itself out. Bottom line...I would have popped the hood if there was something to smother the flames.

Do you think carrying a fire extinguisher would have save the car in your case?? I'll probably be getting one now...
Old 05-13-2005, 07:22 PM
danboback
Melting Slicks

That sux! Sorry to hear about you chrome bumper Vette but atleast the insurance stepped up to the plate!
Old 05-13-2005, 08:16 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

yikes good luck
Old 05-13-2005, 08:33 PM
glen242
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Over the years there have been many posts concerning 'vettes and fire. Everyone should have an extinguisher on board, at least one.

WallyWorld has them (2#) for less than $30. Cheap insurance.
Old 05-13-2005, 09:22 PM
BerniesVette
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry for your loss. We all learn from losses like this. I watched a beautiful TR-6 burn to the ground in my driveway many years ago. Now I have a fire extinguisher and an electrical kill switch in my Vette. Cheap insurance learned the hard way. The good thing; you were not hurt! Keep Vetting!
Bernie
Old 05-13-2005, 09:58 PM
jdmick
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by glen242
Over the years there have been many posts concerning 'vettes and fire. Everyone should have an extinguisher on board, at least one.

WallyWorld has them (2#) for less than $30. Cheap insurance.
That's what I'll be doing . Scary, sad story.
Old 05-13-2005, 10:30 PM
jacobsed
Racer

Sorry about your loss. Can I have the side pipe covers?

Get notified of new replies

To Whitey got toasted - not racing related

Old 05-13-2005, 10:38 PM
Empatho
Melting Slicks

that sux I hope you find a good deal on another Vette
I'm going to get a fire exstinguisher
Old 05-14-2005, 12:02 AM
jcswm
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That SUX!!! glad your OK!!!!
I'll be installing a fire exstinguisher first thing in the AM!!!
Old 05-14-2005, 08:38 AM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

A couple of years ago there was a rash of vettes that were burning. Thankfully that has passed. It was at that time that I went down to Wally World and picked up a FE for my car and it has been in the back ever since. I think Speed Direct has a pretty nice setup for FE also.

Quick Reply: Whitey got toasted - not racing related