Sponsored by:

Best Shop Floor Coverings???

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2005, 08:09 AM
1974 C3
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Shop Floor Coverings???

looking to clean up the shop and wanting to see whats best for the floor,....clear concrete sealer, paint, concrete stain , just want to dress it up and keep the dust down and yet not have to paint every year,..... the floor is about 6 years, any help would be great thanks
Old 05-26-2005, 10:05 AM
Buzzardz_vette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Old 05-26-2005, 10:08 AM
SkunkApe
Drifting

http://www.jnkproducts.com/coin_pattern.htm
Old 05-26-2005, 10:11 AM
OHSIXX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor 03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I am moving in a few months and am thinking of using this in my new garage:

http://www.motormat.com/main.html
Old 05-26-2005, 10:42 AM
Instructor

I'll be finishing my garage this weekend (walls and ceiling) and was wondering what to do on the floor as well. Unfortunately, there is no way my Boss will let me purchase the floor coverings linked above (I'm planning on redoing the suspension later this year). Can anyone suggest something for those on a budget - I'd rather put the money into the car.
Old 05-26-2005, 10:50 AM
SkunkApe
Drifting

Originally Posted by 0013
Can anyone suggest something for those on a budget - I'd rather put the money into the car.
The BOSS? I love hearing from emasculated married guys! Perpetual bachelor for this very reason.

Budget? Here you go:

Old 05-26-2005, 12:02 PM
TonyQT
Pro

I used VCT (Vinyl Composition Tile) from Home Depot. Around .50c a s/f. It's lasted great! I've replaced the front and rear suspension on my car as well as other (messy) projects and never ruined a tile. If you do mess up a tile it's an easy fix. 3+ years and no problems. I do put a small piece of plywood under my jack stands, but other than that nothing. Good luck in what ever you choose.

Last edited by TonyQT; 05-26-2005 at 01:27 PM.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:46 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by SkunkApe
The BOSS? I love hearing from emasculated married guys! Perpetual bachelor for this very reason.
Thanks SunkApe, I felt the same way for 35 years. Now I've been married for a couple years, we just had our first kid, and I'm really enjoying it. Marriage and a family are definitely a trade off for everything else, but I think I made a good choice.
Old 05-26-2005, 01:32 PM
jrzvette
Safety Car

Location: The reason time exists is so everything doesn't happen at once
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 0013
I'll be finishing my garage this weekend (walls and ceiling) and was wondering what to do on the floor as well. Unfortunately, there is no way my Boss will let me purchase the floor coverings linked above (I'm planning on redoing the suspension later this year). Can anyone suggest something for those on a budget - I'd rather put the money into the car.
Whatever you do don't use a regular concrete paint, it won't hold up to the hot tires. You'll go to pull out of the garage one day and hear what sounds like a velcro fastener being opened. There are several epoxy paints made specifically for garage floors. Just follow the directions carefully especially the preparation steps. The Rustoleum product is about $60 at Home Depot and will do a 1 car garage.
Old 05-26-2005, 05:51 PM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 716 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyQT
I used VCT (Vinyl Composition Tile) from Home Depot. Around .50c a s/f. It's lasted great! I've replaced the front and rear suspension on my car as well as other (messy) projects and never ruined a tile. If you do mess up a tile it's an easy fix. 3+ years and no problems. I do put a small piece of plywood under my jack stands, but other than that nothing. Good luck in what ever you choose.
The floor, Vette and walls look great but how did you do those cross flags?
Old 05-26-2005, 05:53 PM
TonyQT
Pro

Originally Posted by hunt4cleanair
The floor, Vette and walls look great but how did you do those cross flags?
Free hand with a pencil, then painted it and outlined it with black. Took some time, but it came out great.
Old 05-26-2005, 07:32 PM
gq82
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by OHSIXX
I am moving in a few months and am thinking of using this in my new garage:

http://www.motormat.com/main.html

I have this in my garage and like it a lot!!
Old 05-27-2005, 08:23 AM
Van Steel
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

I used racedeck flooring. www.racedeck.com

Old 05-27-2005, 09:22 AM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by SkunkApe

Budget? Here you go:

[
emasculated married guys???? married yes , emasculated NO, do i have to fight for every inch of garage time/money you bet....do i win ...sometimes....

and do you know what the wife said when she finally saw this picture from last weekend...hey look at the 5 *****.. i may be fat and married but i still have my cahnoonahs...
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-27-2005, 10:19 AM
1970-Bronze
Burning Brakes

Here's a couple of shots of mine.

I've used the Rustolem product twice now with real good results.

Two kits did my 3 car garage and my "Work-shop" took 5 kits.

Preparation is the KEY....

Sorry , no Babe pics in mine.....
Old 05-27-2005, 10:45 AM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod

Originally Posted by 1970-Bronze

Sorry , no Babe pics in mine.....

you need to work on that a little bit harder....
Old 05-27-2005, 02:26 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

TonyQT, (I forget... think we discussed this before) Did you use peel and stick tile or did you have to apply adhesive?

I have researched quite a bit.

Paint... per above, forget it!
Epoxy... I like the look, but it seems like a lot of work (especially for me!!!!) and if it fails (even if it is due to my poor quality, lack of prep, whatever), a lot of work for nothing!
Specialty tiles - ie, motormat, racedeck, several brands of lock together tiles. Sounds, looks great, but expensive.
Peel and stick tile - i will probably try this. Good results have been reported and you can't beat the price.
Vinyl sheet flooring - A different option, you just roll out a sheet and bingo, you have a floor. Might use a piece of this on top of vinyl tile.

I have cost data for most of these options, just not at my fingertips.

Get notified of new replies

To Best Shop Floor Coverings???

Old 05-27-2005, 02:31 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Originally Posted by PRNDL
Peel and stick tile - i will probably try this. Good results have been reported and you can't beat the price.

I have cost data for most of these options, just not at my fingertips.

its either going to be peel and stick or painted checkerboard for me...heres the question i don't want to do the whole floor only a "rectangular bay" where the car is parked, black and white checkerboard with red border.....what about the border will it crap out on me because of the height difference between the tile and the floor when i drag flor jacks onit and stuff?
Old 05-27-2005, 03:02 PM
BSiegPaint
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Just make sure you are putting down the right floor for the work you intend to do on it. Epoxy floor paint (good quality) will take forklift traffic all day long and all the metal wheels you can roll over it without flinching. I'm glad to hear that some members have had good luck with the Rustoleum and Valspar brands of garage floor epoxy (sold at Lowe's and Depot) but I've done extensive floor coating testing over the past year and have found that these just do not hold up well for daily use under hot tires, especially in the northern states where there is also exposure to road salts. They WILL fail - it's just a matter of when. And preparation is a simple acid etch in most cases. Just add Muriatic acid to water and pour it over the surface, waiting a few minutes until it stops hissing and bubbling to rinse it off. Then let the floor dry a few days before painting - not a problem at all. Tile floors will require protection from any sharp metal, such as found on jack stands or many self standing pieces of equipment. Paint is a lot easier to touch up than replacing tiles or patching sheet vinyl. Good luck on your decision!
Old 05-27-2005, 03:13 PM
jrzvette
Safety Car

Location: The reason time exists is so everything doesn't happen at once
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bobs77vet
.....what about the border will it crap out on me because of the height difference between the tile and the floor when i drag flor jacks onit and stuff?
I used the Rustoleum Epoxy on my garage floor, but must have missed a spot during the cleaning prep. The paint picked up under one tire when I moved my car which had been sitting for a two months last winter. I'm thinking of putting down four "pads" 2'x3' of VCT where the tires sit and am going to bevel the outside edges at 45* so I don't have a lip at the edge of each pad.

Quick Reply: Best Shop Floor Coverings???