Sponsored by:

Spedo face is smeered

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2005, 06:34 PM
BDVT69
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spedo face is smeered

Since my car is at the paint shop I have decided to clean and dye the interior parts. I started the day by taking apart my spedo gauge to clean the interior working parts and repaint the bezel. When I took a clean dry rag over the spedo face, all the green illumination numbers began to smeer into the black outlining area. What a way to start the day Now I'm having trouble trying to locate just a spedo face plate out of any of my catalogs and I'm worried about even opening the tach and having the same thing happen.
Old 05-27-2005, 07:39 PM
JustinGJ
Racer

I made the same mistake with my center gauges, I wiped some white flecks from my ammeter and they smeared on the black. Not all that noticable, but of course I notice every time I look at the gauges.... It would be nice to just buy a new face, but I suppose to get them to match the older ones perfectly you'd almost have to buy a complete set.
Old 05-27-2005, 07:48 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

When I took a clean dry rag over the spedo face, all the green illumination numbers began to smeer into the black outlining area
too late to help you now, but never... repeat never wipe the face of a C3 factory gauge. I don't know the exact reason why, but the lettering kinda softens a little bit over the years - and it will smear every time. The only thing I use to clean a C3 dialface is compressed air. And if that doesn't clean it good enough, then replacement is the only alternative.
Old 05-27-2005, 07:53 PM
AGVI
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Canadian Events Coordinator

I've wiped the gauges on my '80 and they didn't smear. I guess it's a shot in the dark.
Old 05-28-2005, 02:11 AM
lostpatrolman
Melting Slicks

I believe there is a member or vendor on this forum that can repaint the faces. I cant remember his screen name though. Hopefully someone will chime in with it.
Old 05-28-2005, 07:17 AM
BDVT69
Racer

Originally Posted by lostpatrolman
I believe there is a member or vendor on this forum that can repaint the faces. I cant remember his screen name though. Hopefully someone will chime in with it.
I thought of repainting it myself but would the paint have to be some type of illumination paint. Where could you buy illumination paint?
Old 05-29-2005, 12:00 AM
lostpatrolman
Melting Slicks

I have no clue on the process. Sorry.

Get notified of new replies

To Spedo face is smeered

Quick Reply: Spedo face is smeered