Sponsored by:

Need help with 97 Suburban

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2005, 12:49 PM
Fubba
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need help with 97 Suburban

My parents have a 1997 Suburban 1500 with the 5.7 350. Last week, the 02 sensor went out and they also had the fuel injectors cleaned and the throttle body serviced. They also had a fuel filter sitting around which got put on too at the same time. When we got it back, it drove fine for about 4 days or so. Yesterday morning, it was driven about 10 miles then parked for about 7 or 8 hours. Yesterday evening, it wouldn't crank and still won't. The starter whines and whines but the motor won't turn over. While sitting there, the fuel pump actuator was replaced but to no avail. What is the problem with it? There's not many places open on Saturday's to take it. I posted in both forums so maybe I'll get a few responses pretty quick. Thanks for the help guys...it's needed on this one.
Old 06-04-2005, 01:14 PM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like a bad starter when you say the starter wines but won't turn the engine over. It's a gear drive starter.

How many miles on the truck?
Old 06-04-2005, 02:49 PM
Fubba
Pro

The truck's got 160K, but the starter is good. When I said it whines, I meant that it's turning the motor over and over, but the motor isn't cranking. It's like it isn't getting gas. I guess I wasn't clear enough on that.
Old 06-04-2005, 03:04 PM
Brettmc
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How's the fuel pressure? Even though the TBI is a low-pressure injection system, it still needs the right amount.

Try www.chevytalk.org . There's a lot of forums for specific vehicles.

Brett
Old 06-04-2005, 06:57 PM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Could be the ECM...control module in the distributor and/or the fuel pump, as mentioned above.

Edit...oops meant Ignition Module...had a brain cramp

Last edited by GDaina; 06-04-2005 at 10:12 PM.
Old 06-04-2005, 06:59 PM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Brettmc
How's the fuel pressure? Even though the TBI is a low-pressure injection system, it still needs the right amount.

Try www.chevytalk.org . There's a lot of forums for specific vehicles.

Brett
97 is a Vortec, it needs high pressure. Sure it was the right fuel filter? TBI, TPI, and Vortec fuel filters all look the same and have the same connection, but Vortec has a much finer filtering capability. THe Vortec injectors do not tolerate trash. I would check pressure at the rail, then another filter. Is the fuel pump coming on? I have replaced a few Vortec fuel pumps at that kind of miles.
Old 06-05-2005, 07:01 AM
jdwhealton
Racer

Default Check for fuel pump whine when you turn the key on.

You should be able to hear the pump standing near the left rear....if no, smack the tank a couple times and see if it'll come on. Replacing my integral pump a few years ago set me back 450.00....if there is a next time, I think I'll just install an external pump.
Old 06-05-2005, 02:32 PM
Fubba
Pro

No I can't hear the fuel pump come on. I tried hitting the bottom of the tank trick, but I still can't get it to come on. I'm guessing it probably is the fuel pump...hopefully, a wire going to it, but owning a 'Vette has taught me that the easy way will NEVER happen.
Old 06-06-2005, 08:00 AM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Fubba
No I can't hear the fuel pump come on. I tried hitting the bottom of the tank trick, but I still can't get it to come on. I'm guessing it probably is the fuel pump...hopefully, a wire going to it, but owning a 'Vette has taught me that the easy way will NEVER happen.
Yep, probably the fuel pump. With my luck it will be full of fuel too-all 42 gallons. Be careful when removing it. Also you need a special tool to take the lines off the sending unit. They don't screw in, they use those Ford-a/c-style springlock connectors.

Get notified of new replies

To Need help with 97 Suburban

Quick Reply: Need help with 97 Suburban