Sponsored by:

non-C3 sidepipe questions for sidepipe experts

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2005, 08:42 PM
BlkBird
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default non-C3 sidepipe questions for sidepipe experts

o.k. guys, I like sidepipes, always have. When I was growing up my best friends dad had a '69 AMX with them, which is probably where my love for sidepipes was "burned" into me. I love seeing them on 'vettes, cobra's, etc.

I have a '71 Firebird for which I have been searching for true sidepipe headers(Hooker sidemount headers) for along time(4 years). In those 4 years Ive found two sets. The first set, about 2 years ago was mint and they wanted a mint for them, sadly I could'nt afford them at that time. The second set I found on the internet on a '76 T/A that is nearly 100% original except for sidepipes, I contacted him and he agreed to sell them to me when he got his oem exhaust, assuming we could agree on price. He just contacted me and said his new system is on the way so we could start talking price.

I have absolutely nothing to judge against what the system is actually worth. They've been on the car since the late '70's but the car was'nt a daily driver by any means. So they're in good shape for their age but they are still old. They are no longer manufactured. Ive contact Hooker, and many other header manufacturers and none have expressed any interest in building any sidemount headers other then the ones they already have in production.

You guys probably have more experience with sidepipes then anyone else I could ask, so what do you guys think? What would be the avg. price you guys would pay for used 'vette pipes? Now add in the rarity and fact that you cant get them new anymore.

Their physical condition would probably be considered "good" for 20 year old exhaust that was never Jethot coated or anything. Here are a couple links to pics of the car to give you a better idea. He sent me some specific shots of the pipes themselves(still on the car) but they dont have a URL attatched so I cant post them, yet.

http://www.pontiacpower.net/pictures/76ta20a.jpg

http://www.pontiacpower.net/pictures/76ta20b.jpg

http://www.pontiacpower.net/pictures/48280070.jpg

Also any idea on how much to have these media blasted and Jethot coated?

Thanks guys!
Old 06-05-2005, 08:56 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I had a '76 T/A 455 4sp. Loved it.

Who made the pipes on the car?

I think Jet-hot prices for headers are about $300-500. My guess would be $600 for Jet-hot to coat the headers and sidepipes.

Give them a call and ask for the CF discount.

Guy probably wants another $500-600 for the pipes. If they don't make them anymore, there's a price to pay for "exclusivity."
Old 06-05-2005, 09:11 PM
Tall Boy
Burning Brakes

Nice looking car
Old 06-05-2005, 09:19 PM
MYBAD79
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

The Corvette sidemount headers wouldn't fit ?????

This may be a dumb question :o

The sidepipes can easily be extended ....

Did you try Stahl headers ?? They make headers/sidepipes for whatever application - they are not cheap though....

Nice car btw
Old 06-05-2005, 09:37 PM
BlkBird
Racer

Yes, it is a nice looking car. That's not my car, though I wish it was. Its the one that I'll be buying the pipes off of.

They are Hooker sidemount headers and sidepipes, long since discontinued.

Hooker still makes sidemounts for F-bodies with Chevy motors, but no longer for Pontiac powered vehicles. Its not the sidepipes that are the difficult part to find its the Sidemount headers which are motor/chassis specific, so no, 'vette stuff wont work.

I guess my basic question is, what would you guys pay for used Hooker sidemounts and sidepipes, and then I have to figure in what the "rare" factor equals to me.

Last edited by BlkBird; 06-05-2005 at 09:40 PM.
Old 06-05-2005, 09:45 PM
MYBAD79
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by BlkBird
Yes, it is a nice looking car. That's not my car, though I wish it was. Its the one that I'll be buying the pipes off of.

They are Hooker sidemount headers and sidepipes, long since discontinued.

Hooker still makes sidemounts for F-bodies with Chevy motors, but no longer for Pontiac powered vehicles. Its not the sidepipes that are the difficult part to find its the Sidemount headers which are motor/chassis specific, so no, 'vette stuff wont work.

I guess my basic question is, what would you guys pay for used Hooker sidemounts and sidepipes, and then I have to figure in what the "rare" factor equals to me.

What would I be willing to pay ? I am very close to ordering the stainless Hookers from Summit - almost $1500 .... if these are what you want I'd say pay the guy what you think these are worth. Better spend $800 now than wasting time looking for another set...how many did you say you saw in the past four years ? You can always get them jet-hot coated later when $$ allows.

What did the guy say he wants for them ?? Or do you have to make an offer ??

The black painted version should be $800 brandnew - at least that's what the Vette version sells for...
Old 06-06-2005, 09:41 AM
CGGorman
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

You need close-up pictures of the collectors, head flanges, and pipes where they run under the car. These are gonna be expensive enough to warrant demanding better pics.

Given the rarity, offer $600 and be prepared to go to $1000...assuming the condition is good.

Get them Jet Hot coated before you re-mount them.
Old 06-06-2005, 09:14 PM
BlkBird
Racer

I have decent pics of the headers, unfortunately I have no way to post them, and they're still on the car limiting visibility. Obviously the actual headers are the important part because Hooker still makes the sidepipes for Camaro's. I definately dont want to spend another 4 years looking...I just hate buying expensive stuff without actually holding and examining the parts first hand. Thanks for the input guys, I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 06-07-2005, 04:40 AM
brooksman9
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Contributor

Good luck, and post us some pics of your firebird (and corvette).

Get notified of new replies

To non-C3 sidepipe questions for sidepipe experts

Quick Reply: non-C3 sidepipe questions for sidepipe experts