Sponsored by:

vehicle Code

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2005, 06:45 PM
Zmanx98
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vehicle Code

Does anyone have access to the vehicle code from the VIN sticker?
I would like to know what the original emission devises were on my 80 model when it came from the factory. I have been told this will spell it out. The code on my car is ABD.
Thanks,
Zmanx98
Old 06-15-2005, 05:08 PM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 716 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by Zmanx98
Does anyone have access to the vehicle code from the VIN sticker?
I would like to know what the original emission devises were on my 80 model when it came from the factory. I have been told this will spell it out. The code on my car is ABD.
Thanks,
Zmanx98
ABD isn't making sense...what did this code come off of and what exactly do you mean by vehicle code?
Old 06-15-2005, 05:57 PM
Zmanx98
Heel & Toe

Default Vehicle code?????

The sticker is on the driver's door, has all the date mfg, the VIN number and states that the vehicle conforms to all Federal safety regs......
Passenger car consumer information tables ABD. The gent that told me about this called it a vehicle code that could be looked up be an inspector to validate the correct smog devices. Maybe he was feeding me a line????????
Old 06-16-2005, 04:00 AM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Zmanx98
The sticker is on the driver's door, has all the date mfg, the VIN number and states that the vehicle conforms to all Federal safety regs......
Passenger car consumer information tables ABD. The gent that told me about this called it a vehicle code that could be looked up be an inspector to validate the correct smog devices. Maybe he was feeding me a line????????
That's the vehicle certification label but I'm not familiar with ABD tables. For smog information, pop the hood and stuck under the hood, driver's side is the emissions certification. On the left upper corner is a broadcast code that relates to the powerteam configuration. In the center is the word "Catalyst" and underneath are codes for the emission devices installed on that vehicle. Also to the right is the emission hose schematic which also describes how these devices hook up using rubber hoses.

Now assuming the emission label is gone but the engine is stock, its engine suffix code (stamped on the engine pad) will also clue us as to what emission configuration came with the car. By 1980 though, devices on all models were pretty standard and emission controls were managed by mixture, timing and something else I've forgotten but all included the 7817872 smog pump.

So let us know what you find and hope this helps.
Old 06-16-2005, 06:20 PM
Zmanx98
Heel & Toe

Default No Sticker

Unfortunately I have bombed out on both counts, I bought the car mostly dis-assembled and no engine. The sticker was my first place to look before I posted the question, but it is long gone. My plan is to put in a LSI, I was told by a local hot rod shop that I would have to add the smog pump if it came with one. Checked with a Chevy dealer and he said not all had the pump during that year. Really would like to be able to pass inspection without worries.
Thanks for the help.
Zmanx98
Old 06-17-2005, 05:40 AM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

There's a GM service that if you call and provide your VIN...they'll send your invoice look through the archives.

But your 80 would have included smog pump, EGR valve, the carbon cannister (under driver's front fender) catalytic converter and a few other emission goodies.
Old 06-17-2005, 10:09 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by hunt4cleanair
...your 80 would have included smog pump, EGR valve, the carbon cannister (under driver's front fender) catalytic converter and a few other emission goodies.

Yep. All the above are on my '80 L-82. You should purchase an assembly instruction manual (AIM) for 1980. It shows all the smog stuff, the original part numbers, and how everything was assembled, routed, installed, etc. AIMs are worth their price.
Old 06-17-2005, 06:07 PM
Zmanx98
Heel & Toe

Default Info on the way

Thanks for the help, I have an AIM on the way and Chevrolet put a package in the mail today. Actually I was surprised at all the info they say is in the "Restoration Package " being sending.
I should have my info shortly.

Get notified of new replies

To vehicle Code

Quick Reply: vehicle Code