C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Factory radio...How bad does it really sound??

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 10:58 AM
bdr922
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory radio...How bad does it really sound??

It is time for me to change out the aftermarket radio and blown speakers in my '71. No radio on the market looks as nice to me as an original factory radio. I was thinking of getting one with stereo. The question I have is how bad does it sound and how loud do they get? I don't need any crazy pumping radio that shatters windows. I just plan on using an FM modulator from my ipod... Oh one more question...the factory radio from a 73 is much cheaper than a 71. Other than the light color is there a difference?
Old 06-21-2005, 11:07 AM
early shark
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a factory AM/FM stereo radio in my '71 coupe. The lettering is a green phosphorescent to match the other gauges both when lit at night as well as daytime. The stereo light is blue vs red for '72 and newer. The ***** have a tab on both sides, instead of one side, this is for the balance control and treble/base adjustments. There is an amplifier module and harness that is bigger and different on the stereo radio versions compared to mono versions.

You should be able to pick-up a complete working set-up for about 250 bucks. Of course I have seen them listed much higher and lower, depending on who and where it you locate them. Good luck in your search.
Old 06-21-2005, 12:55 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

The factory radio is pretty poor. I had mine rebuilt to new condition. It still is pretty bad as compared to modern radios. I don't use it much anyway, top down and noisy exhaust is much better sounding than any radio. I can't hear it much anyway with the top down.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:06 PM
CGGorman
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're satisifed with FM, I don't see any reason why you couldn't use some modern speakers and little aftermarket amplifier (both weak spots in an old radio) to get very respectable sound.

A modern, high-dollar head unit will sound awful if you put to the original speakers...
Old 06-21-2005, 01:09 PM
ffas23
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

The factory radio looks nice, thats about it. I still have the factory radio in my 67' it sucks in plain words but I feel I want to have the original set up in that car so I don't change it. My 73' has a Pioneer system in it for the last 23 years. I sold the original set up for $75 back then. Maybe I should of kept it in case I ever sell the car but 23 years have already pass and I still have the car and at least the Pioneer AM&FM cassette still plays great and doesn't fade like the factory radio did. Unless you are looking for originality I would go with a aftermarket radio again. Remember the person who owned your car before you wasn't happy with the factory radio so he made a change. I really don't know of any C-2 or C-3 owners who can actually say they are happy with the factory radio in their car.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:48 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The factory Delco sounds pretty good compared to a custom Auto soud(AKA Kenwood) Just not as loud.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:05 PM
smoothsailing
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Who makes a basic radio/cd player that will fit in with the least amount of hassel?
Old 06-21-2005, 02:28 PM
bdr922
Heel & Toe

Based on this I am thinking about buying a factory stereo and installing one of those secret audio units. Does anyone have any experience with this...also is there anyway to have the factory stereo light up without having it "installed"?
Old 06-21-2005, 02:47 PM
rihwoods
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Still have the original factory AM/FM 8 track...belt slips a little,but "Boston" still plays in it...just installed pioneer speakers in dash..sounds good...
Old 06-21-2005, 03:19 PM
Buzzardz_vette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

I just removed the broken CD radio and installed an original radio in my 76 for the looks. I plan to install a modern radio in the back, hidden from sight. Haven't figured out where to put it yet. I'm thinking behind the passenger' seat and above the wheel well hump. Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 06-21-2005, 03:25 PM
CGGorman
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bdr922
is there anyway to have the factory stereo light up without having it "installed"?
Sure. Wire it to the normal power and instrument light circuits, but don't connect the speaker outputs.
Old 06-21-2005, 05:09 PM
1BAD73
Heel & Toe

I just replaced the old school Delco radio in my '73, it sounded ok, but it was running on 1 dash speaker and an aftermarket amp, I really don't know if the dash speakers were stock or not.
Old 06-21-2005, 05:16 PM
rihwoods
Race Director

Originally Posted by Buzzardz_vette
I just removed the broken CD radio and installed an original radio in my 76 for the looks. I plan to install a modern radio in the back, hidden from sight. Haven't figured out where to put it yet. I'm thinking behind the passenger' seat and above the wheel well hump. Anyone have any suggestions?
I go portable. Got my original 8 track up front,and this Walmart thing that plays cassettes/Cd's in the back....on long road trips...

Note:The speaker grills are caved in now,but it snugs up to seat backs.... ..Janis Joplin wails back there..

Last edited by rihwoods; 06-21-2005 at 05:19 PM.
Old 06-21-2005, 05:42 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,618 Likes on 1,338 Posts

I have my stock radio at classic radio in FL now getting upgraded to 44 watts per channel. They take the stock radio, gut the old parts and install new electronics. Supposed to sound much better and retain the stock ***** and look. Cost more then a aftermarket radio but it seemed to be the best of both worlds for me.

Gary
Old 06-21-2005, 05:48 PM
rihwoods
Race Director

Originally Posted by gtr1999
I have my stock radio at classic radio in FL now getting upgraded to 44 watts per channel. They take the stock radio, gut the old parts and install new electronics. Supposed to sound much better and retain the stock ***** and look. Cost more then a aftermarket radio but it seemed to be the best of both worlds for me.

Gary
Kinda like a radio stroker kit....
Old 06-21-2005, 06:01 PM
JRS 73
Intermediate

Most everything on my 73 is original including the "stereo". It sounds terrible in my honest opinion, but I don't change it just because I am keeping everything stock. The price I have to pay I guess.
Old 06-21-2005, 08:48 PM
bdr922
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by gtr1999

Gary
Where did you get this done? Can I take a mono radio and upgrade it or does the radio have to be stereo to begin with?

Get notified of new replies

To Factory radio...How bad does it really sound??

Old 07-12-2005, 11:01 AM
Buzzardz_vette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by CGGorman
Sure. Wire it to the normal power and instrument light circuits, but don't connect the speaker outputs.
For someone that doesn't know a lot about eletrical systems, can you be a little more specific on how to wire the radio for lights? My radio doesn't have any wires coming out of it and there is a connector receptor/adaptor (??), but I don't have the connector. If I find one, which wires do I connect and where on the harness? Thanks.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:07 PM
cosmicvette
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CGGorman
If you're satisifed with FM, I don't see any reason why you couldn't use some modern speakers and little aftermarket amplifier (both weak spots in an old radio) to get very respectable sound.

A modern, high-dollar head unit will sound awful if you put to the original speakers...

A good set of speakers will make such a big difference.
Old 07-12-2005, 01:35 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Adequacy of factory radio depends on whether you are running factory exhaust. Once you start modding exhaust you won't get much from your factory radio!

Quick Reply: Factory radio...How bad does it really sound??