78' Corvette Questions from a Wipper Snapper

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 06:25 PM
Classic78Vette
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 78' Corvette Questions from a Wipper Snapper

Hey everyone,
Just wanted to know what I should do for exhuast on my 78' Vette.
Everyone talks and talks and has their own opinion but I want some more power without flushing all my money. I really just want to do off the manifolds, to an "x" pipe, to some kind of chambered muffler. But here is the question. Loud but not to loud mufflers, what kind? And "x" or "h" pipe, whats better and why? Plus, I need to know how to strip the paint off the bumper. I dont even know what its made of so I dont konw if you can sand blast it or chemical strip it.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:13 PM
KapsSA
Safety Car

Received 170 Likes on 137 Posts

My opinion? I wouldn't worry about the "X" or "H" pipe on an otherwise stock motor. I'd just go with true duals with factory style mufflers, loud enough for me. I have headers and duals with original style mufflers on one of mine and it sounds just right. On another, I merely replaced the catalytic converter with a "test pipe" and it sounds pretty good, too. Not annoyingly loud.
I helped a friend put stock mufflers on his 73, it had the chambered pipes and was way too loud . Just added the mufflers to the chambered system. Sounds better now. Course, I'm an old fart! Prefer to be a little less noticeable when out with the Vettes.

Pretty sure there is a paint stripper specifically for urethane bumpers. Don't sand blast em.
Friend of mine used "Bulldog Flexible Bumper Paint Stripper" on his 79. Got it at NAPA.

Mike

Last edited by KapsSA; 07-14-2005 at 11:41 PM.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:35 PM
rihwoods
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Think you will find the "H" pipe will help balance exhaust between the duals....had one,worked just fine...can't help you on the straight dual setup without an "H" pipe...
Old 07-15-2005, 09:12 AM
mvftw
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Vettes work better with an 'H-pipe' (goes closer to the collector then an X-pipe)...but I would put an H or X pipe in, it will sound better and preform better...

Get notified of new replies

To 78' Corvette Questions from a Wipper Snapper

Quick Reply: 78' Corvette Questions from a Wipper Snapper