Sponsored by:

tough summer with new motor

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 07:21 AM
Black_80
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default tough summer with new motor

After owning my vette for 21 years, I finally had a zz4 put in with a BG zz4 carb. I had a mechanic who I trust put it in (been working on my car for about 15 years and always fixed it right the first time for a good price). I know I will love it but I have had problems:

1- the zz4 motor came with no compression in the #8 cylinder. The exhaust valve was sticking. I think GM should have given me a new motor but they did fix it. I had to pay to tow it to a Chevy dealer. I am a long time customer but they haven't been a lot of help (not returning calls, no refund for towing, etc.). They followed the letter of the warranty rather than doing what is right for a good customer.

2- the BG carb should have been right for this motor out of the box but it was way rich. Smelled bad and idled bad. Fouled plugs but the floats were set right. The mechanic put on a new Edelbrock 1400 (that he had for his own truck) and the car ran great! Sent it to BG for service but came back the same after about 5 weeks. I think that CNC motors is going to give me my money back so I am going to buy the Edelbrock. I only have about 10 miles on the BG but have a tank on the Edelbrock. Doesn't seem right to put on the 50 state legal 600 cfm 1400 but it really ran great with lots of power (more than the too rich BG). Trying to decide on the 1400 or the 1406.

When it's all done, I should have lots of power (compared with my L48 that burned oil and had about 120K on it) and no leaks.
Old 07-15-2005, 08:58 AM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That really sucks about the valve! Hopefully it's the only issue.

If you need to buy a new carb get the edlebrock. Unless you are a carb expert and drag race a lot it's best!

Good Luck
Old 07-15-2005, 09:06 AM
mvftw
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My friend just put in a new 3.4L crate motor in a kit car and a cam lobe wiped out right a way. GM wants to give him just a cam & lifters, but he's holding out for a new motor. Since there's probably metal floating around...
Old 07-15-2005, 06:17 PM
Sharky Guam
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

that's pretty sad about the crate motors....most of us have had great experiences with them.....

Get notified of new replies

To tough summer with new motor

Quick Reply: tough summer with new motor