Sponsored by:

77 Power Window Problems...

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 02:44 PM
C3nMe
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 77 Power Window Problems...

I have a 77 with power windows, and I'm having a problem on the drivers side that I'm hoping to get some insight into.

The window works, but sometimes hangs up or "clunks" on the way up. Pulled the door apart to reveal the scissor lift is hitting one of the bolt heads that is part of the mechanism itself. It doesn't appear bent, but there is definite interference. There appears to be little or not adjustability in that arena, so I'm not sure where to focus my attentions.

Ideas?
Old 07-15-2005, 11:42 PM
surfshark
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's been years since I've encountered this. If I recall, you should make sure the tracks that the regulator gear assembly rollers run in are properly lubricated to reduce friction and subsequent binding. Also check and make sure the attachment points where the assembly bolts to the metal inside the door frame is not flexing. I had to reinforce one with extra metal and a new bolt hole drilled in. Finally, your regulator gear assembly may simply be worn out at the connection points where the rivets attach it together, and you may have to replace the entire assembly. If there is a lot of slop at the attachment points, it will bind like you mention. Hope this helps some. Good Luck.
Old 07-16-2005, 02:48 AM
DMONSVETTE
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

On my 77 the driver's window was doing the same thing. I found two problems. One was that the screw for the door pull handle was way too long. Second was that the lower bracket on the window actuator that helps hold the power window motor was broken. I used ALOT of
JB weld to mend it back into place and window works fine now.
HTH

Get notified of new replies

To 77 Power Window Problems...

Quick Reply: 77 Power Window Problems...