C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why in the world am I still leakin oil at my fuel pump...

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 07:46 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

Default Why in the world am I still leakin oil at my fuel pump...

Alrighty then.. I've had a oil leak problem at the fuel pump on my 327 since I rebuilt the motor. I thought I had fixed it until I got home today and found oil all over the passenger inner fender... It must have really been under pressure when it first blew thru my gasket. Three weeks ago I pulled the pump but not the plate and cleand the pump and the plate up. Cut me a new gasket out of gasket material and applied Permatex #2 to both sides of the gasket and re-installed... All was well until today.. Just wonder what I did wrong or a better way to do what I've have already. Thanks guys... Dave...
Old 07-23-2005, 07:52 PM
cooter69
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check the short bolt on the front of the block that holds the pump shaft up when changing the pump.
Old 07-23-2005, 08:09 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Originally Posted by cooter69
check the short bolt on the front of the block that holds the pump shaft up when changing the pump.
Sorry forgot to add that I permatexed it too. I didn't see any oil leaking from there or my gasket actually it's just oil on top of the pump and on the fender. I looked and I was actually thinking that I might off just blown a plug out of 2 or 4 but no oil on the ignition shielding.. Thanks though because yep that's a place I thought about before. Dave..
Old 07-23-2005, 08:24 PM
big_G
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe it's coming out of the timing cover? Tell me it's not chrome.....
Old 07-23-2005, 09:42 PM
Techno
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is #2 the hardening or non hardening. Maybe the total thickness is whats its blowing through?
Old 07-23-2005, 10:10 PM
Hitch
Race Director

#2 is non-hardening but I didn't use a lot on it just enough to smear around with your finger on both sides...

Last edited by Hitch; 07-23-2005 at 10:19 PM.
Old 07-23-2005, 10:11 PM
RoadrashOU812
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by big_G
Maybe it's coming out of the timing cover? Tell me it's not chrome.....

Is a problem I had also ...... damn chrome timing covers are bad about leaking for sure !
Old 07-23-2005, 10:30 PM
1971corvette
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 84 Posts

maybe the fuel pump is shot ???? look very close ,i bet you find your own problem
Old 07-23-2005, 11:12 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Originally Posted by 1971corvette
maybe the fuel pump is shot ???? look very close ,i bet you find your own problem
I was thinking the same thing this evening when I was sitting in the garage drinking a cold one it may have given up the ghost... I went to a show today and everything looked great under the hood.. I stopped at the store about 3 miles from the house and picked up some colds ones and when I left I hit it pretty good. In second gear it bobbled a little bit and I bet that's when it happened. I got home popped the hood to disconnect the battery and saw all the oil and was like WTF.... All over the inner fender and on top of the fuel pump... I think I'll call ZIP on Monday morning and say hey... Send me a replacement for this piece of crap that's less than a year old.... Dave...
Old 07-24-2005, 12:19 AM
big_G
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FYI...a tool we use ALOT is a black light that uses a dye you add to fluid, like oil...Autozone has the kit for about $80..you can use the light on any fluid leaks...put the dye in with a little oil and run the vehicle for 5 min. or so and shine the light where the leak was,,you will find the source..
Old 07-24-2005, 01:21 AM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Default There should be no pressure inside the pmp mount casting.

Originally Posted by youwish2bme
Alrighty then.. I've had a oil leak problem at the fuel pump on my 327 since I rebuilt the motor. I thought I had fixed it until I got home today and found oil all over the passenger inner fender... It must have really been under pressure when it first blew thru my gasket. Three weeks ago I pulled the pump but not the plate and cleand the pump and the plate up. Cut me a new gasket out of gasket material and applied Permatex #2 to both sides of the gasket and re-installed... All was well until today.. Just wonder what I did wrong or a better way to do what I've have already. Thanks guys... Dave...

That pmp casting mount has a drain straight to the oil pan. If u have pressure there then ur PCV does not work and u have crankcase pressure too. If u don't run a PCV then u at least need a breather on the vlv cover or intk to vent the crankcase and release piston blow-by press. Ur lucky thats the only "leak" u have.
Again u should have no oil pressure behind that fuel pmp plate or in the crankcase - only within the oil galleys. PCV should maitain < atmospheric press (vacuum).
cardo0

Get notified of new replies

To Why in the world am I still leakin oil at my fuel pump...

Quick Reply: Why in the world am I still leakin oil at my fuel pump...