Sponsored by:

Nickel plating screws?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2005, 07:00 AM
Techno
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Nickel plating screws?

Do you know if this wil help prevent them bonding into the unplated female parts?
Have to put everything together and considering plating all the fasteners, or at least the heads.
Old 07-30-2005, 07:05 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have plated all my fasteners (and then some..I have buckets and buckets full of plated nuts, botls, springs and other stuff) and there's nothing that you can keep them from rusting together apart from using anti seize, I use copper paste on almost all fasteners.
Old 07-30-2005, 09:06 AM
Techno
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So nickel and steel will still rust together?

How do you plate the screws, hang them or put em in a bucket?
Old 07-30-2005, 09:11 AM
KenSny
Melting Slicks

Received 276 Likes on 201 Posts

If you are really worried about them galling or rusting try Stainless Steel bolts and nuts. Not as quick to rust and look very nice with chrome parts.

If you chrome them yourself, the thread clearance between the nut and bolt will change due to the additional thickness of the plating material. Do not use them if you need to apply a torque spec as it will be off.
Old 07-30-2005, 09:26 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

no nickel and steel won't rust together, nothing rusts together if you mean they physically bond, the problem with rust is that it "expands" the metal, just like water freezing to ice and this is what seizes stuff, combined w/ the rough surface it makes it very ahrd to remove botls. Nickel plating is nice for corrosion resistance but the nickel plating also oxidizes and it's not a guarantee that it woin't keep things from getting really stuck.

Stainless steel fasteners..now there's something I don't trust at all for structural fasteners...I will never use stainless I'll take plated ordinary grade 8s over stainless any day.
Chroming can cause hydrogen embrittlement, however the plating process can cause that also.
Old 07-30-2005, 09:30 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

I plated them by dumping them off at the plating company, it's relativly cheap and they do a great job every time so I figured why emss with it myself (even though I could probably pull it off cheaply and easily) when they get such excellent results..

Here's a couple of examples of stuff they did for me:

and that's the yellow stuff, the blue (silver) is jsut as nice.
Old 07-30-2005, 09:11 PM
Michel B
Burning Brakes

Location: Ville de la Baie Quebec. A winner is just a loser who tried again.
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Actually corrosion is provoked in different ways, and putting two different metals together is one of them, its call galvanic corrosion, or dissimillar metal corrosion. When dissimilar bolts or other fastners are put together with a source of moisture a galvanic couple forms, one of the metals becomes the anode and corrodes faster, the other metal becomes a cathode and corrodes slower. This is very evident when you put non-ferrous and ferrous metals together, and is valid for all metals.
I just thought of throwing in this info as a friendly gesture, I realise we are not talking about planes, but its informative.
Old 07-30-2005, 09:37 PM
BBShark
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05-'07

Stainless bolts and nuts are a good choice if your concern is corrosion. HOWEVER, if you use stainless bolts and nuts, use plenty of anti sieze compond. Sometimes, stainless on stailnless will gaul (lock together) immediately and removal requires cutting.

Last edited by BBShark; 07-30-2005 at 09:41 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Nickel plating screws?

Quick Reply: Nickel plating screws?