Sponsored by:

Door buzzer won't stop

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2005, 10:52 PM
'73 Stingray
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door buzzer won't stop

The door buzzer on my '73 buzzes when the door is open wheather or not the key is in. When the door shuts the buzzer stops, key in or out. Does anyone know how I can fix this.

Thanks,
Scott
Old 07-31-2005, 10:56 PM
SkunkApe
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Simple method: Remove buzzer.

Not-so-simple method: Trace wiring, look for short.

Is your battery dying after the car sits awhile (days ~ weeks)?
Old 08-01-2005, 12:30 AM
GaryS
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by '73 Stingray
The door buzzer on my '73 buzzes when the door is open wheather or not the key is in. When the door shuts the buzzer stops, key in or out. Does anyone know how I can fix this.

Thanks,
Scott
Spray a quick shot of WD40 into your key hole. Do Not overdo it. The key buzzer is two copper strips in a plastic retainer and are not available for those tilt/tele steering columns. If this solves your problem then great. If not, you need to replace the switch.

Gary
Old 08-01-2005, 01:25 AM
71SoCal
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your driver-side door pin too. The keywarn buzzer is wired to the driver's side door pin so that if the keys are left in the ignition, you are buzzed when the driver's door opens.

The way it works is that the door pin grounds the wire, completing the circuit (when the key is in).

Good luck...
Old 08-01-2005, 08:46 AM
'73 Stingray
Heel & Toe

Thanks all,
I forgot to mention that the buzzer stays on even after the car is started, with the door open. It shuts off when it closes. Does this sound more like a problem with the door or the ignition?

Thanks again,
Scott
Old 08-01-2005, 10:41 AM
71SoCal
Racer

Thanks all,
I forgot to mention that the buzzer stays on even after the car is started, with the door open. It shuts off when it closes. Does this sound more like a problem with the door or the ignition?

Thanks again,
Scott
If the buzzer shuts off once the door is closed, then it sounds like the door pin part is working.

If I recall correctly, once the key leaves either the OFF or ACC positions, the keywarn disables. That happens in the steering column behind the key switch. To be honest, I'm not exactly sure how the key switch disables the buzzer. Most likely just a positional thing.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:32 PM
cosmicvette
Melting Slicks

Thanks,
Scott

Did you end up fixing this problem??

I have exactly the same problem on my 70 vette. Whenever my drivers door opens my key buzzer buzzssssssss regardless of whether the key is in the ignition.

Id love to fix this, so Im interested to hear how you went with yours!
Old 08-24-2005, 06:24 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Within the steering column is a plastic switch with 2 copper tangs.

With the key in the slot, the end of the key pushes a plastic gizmo...causing contact, causing the door buzzer to "buzz".

Sounds like the plastic switch is broken. You have to disassemble the top portion of the column to replace it. Try spraying in the ignition switch. There might be something stuck.

Not sure about your year, but 68-69's have the buzzer located in the horn relay, under the hood. Chuck
Old 08-24-2005, 10:38 AM
Scottys78
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If it were me with this problem, I probably would just leave it alone unless it’s draining the battery. If it buzzes when the door is open and doesn’t when the door is closed, than it works fine.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:19 PM
7d2 vette
Instructor

key buzzer is two copper strips in a plastic retainer and are not available for those tilt/tele steering columns. yes they are availible from dr.rebuild they are 52.75
Old 08-24-2005, 06:11 PM
cosmicvette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Chuck Gongloff
Within the steering column is a plastic switch with 2 copper tangs.

With the key in the slot, the end of the key pushes a plastic gizmo...causing contact, causing the door buzzer to "buzz".

Sounds like the plastic switch is broken. You have to disassemble the top portion of the column to replace it. Try spraying in the ignition switch. There might be something stuck.

Not sure about your year, but 68-69's have the buzzer located in the horn relay, under the hood. Chuck
Thanks Chuck...thats great help once again!

I will try the WD40 in the ignition thing............and keep my fingers crossed

Im on a roll with easy sort of fixes and so I hope I can on keep rolling......
Old 08-24-2005, 06:13 PM
cosmicvette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 7d2 vette
key buzzer is two copper strips in a plastic retainer and are not available for those tilt/tele steering columns. yes they are availible from dr.rebuild they are 52.75
oh thats a bummer...cause I have tilt-tele. Im going to be ordering alot of stuff soon from Doc Rebuild (so I will ask just in case!)
Old 08-25-2005, 05:07 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

It's not that hateful of a job. You can do it in a few hours. The toughest thing is getting the ignition lock cylinder out.

When you pull the top of the column apart, it will be apparent if the switch is broken. I had the same problem when I bought my 69. Put a new switch in...no problem. Chuck
Old 08-25-2005, 08:28 AM
cosmicvette
Melting Slicks

Thanks Chuck.

I'll try to have a look at it sometime the next few days...I might end up ordering a switch anyway.

It just gets a bit annoying thats all.......have your door open for more that a few seconds and ....drives my bf nuts

Stay cool

Get notified of new replies

To Door buzzer won't stop

Quick Reply: Door buzzer won't stop