Old 08-11-2005, 08:04 PM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by Jughead
I think I could use a scoop like that. Photoshop Guys!

Oh and definetly stay stock.
You big fibber. You are like me, NCRS all the way. Damn the torpedo's, full speed ahead.

I have added most everything to mine it did not come with, aluminum heads, intake, water pump, pulleys, a 5 speed, rack and pinion, 100% leather seats, later model leather steering wheel, aluminum radiator with electric fans, LT-1 hood, etc. I love driving my car whenever I get the chance. I have made it as reliable as I could and drive it whenever possible. That is all I want of it, please me.
Old 08-11-2005, 08:44 PM
ThereIsNoSpoon
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Modify all the way. A car can/should be whatever the owner wants it to be, although I do see the beauty of stock cars too.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:07 PM
carl a
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

modified to please the owner, i like looking for the ncrs 73 vettes when i got to places like bloomington or chevy vette fest to compare them to my car,,,i saw a silver 73 at vette fest a year or so back and had to get my wife to show her,,, in my opinion the car looked boring,,dull silverpaint that looked like fence paint,,saggin rear,fake spoked hubcaps,,,didnt even compare to my car,,, i guess its all in what you want,, i knew i would never regain the money i spent,,,but i wanted a car that i wanted not what everyone else had,,and i wanted it to have hp and not 190,and i didnt want a rusty frame,,i like the bottom of the car as clean as the rest,,,, and i guess the most important,, i built it to keep it ,then do another,,just have to move first,,no more room!----------------------------------------

Last edited by carl a; 08-11-2005 at 09:11 PM.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:36 PM
Glenn"Mr.Blue"Smith
Drifting

Originally Posted by Star79
Haha, I've seen your car, and I actually like it. I dunno why, but most of the C2's that I like are modded beyond recognition (lowered, tubbed, flared, gaudy blowers), and most of the C3s 4s 5s and 6s I like look nearly stock (from the outside anyway...)
I'm surprised...and pleased. Thank you for your kind words. Glenn
Old 08-11-2005, 09:38 PM
Glenn"Mr.Blue"Smith
Drifting

Originally Posted by carl a
modified to please the owner, i like looking for the ncrs 73 vettes when i got to places like bloomington or chevy vette fest to compare them to my car,,,i saw a silver 73 at vette fest a year or so back and had to get my wife to show her,,, in my opinion the car looked boring,,dull silverpaint that looked like fence paint,,saggin rear,fake spoked hubcaps,,,didnt even compare to my car,,, i guess its all in what you want,, i knew i would never regain the money i spent,,,but i wanted a car that i wanted not what everyone else had,,and i wanted it to have hp and not 190,and i didnt want a rusty frame,,i like the bottom of the car as clean as the rest,,,, and i guess the most important,, i built it to keep it ,then do another,,just have to move first,,no more room!----------------------------------------
Beautiful underside! Keep up the work and keep checking the papers for a new home!
Old 08-11-2005, 09:45 PM
carl a
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Glenn"Mr.Blue"Smith
Beautiful underside! Keep up the work and keep checking the papers for a new home!
------ the problem is work situation,,,im in the trades and have been for 26 yrs----until last year i worked every day,,,once your layed off ,,,in my local you sit for 1 yr,,,, i cant risk loosing everything on the work situation,,,,now when i was layed off i could pay my small mortage on unemployment... i think ill wait 11 more years till i retire,,then move and start my new car,,,,ill have all day to do it!
Old 08-11-2005, 09:46 PM
dboz
Burning Brakes

I am to the point where I have lost interest in stock appearing cars. They just seem bland and boring. Bring on the custom work and the chrome. I am not real big on body mods, except the hood.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:50 PM
Glenn"Mr.Blue"Smith
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ladobe
On a true 100% stock survivor, I'd call it good as is to preserve the heritage. But I also have no problem with mods either, and a lot of folks on this site have shown very good taste and imagination on their mods to suit their individual wants and needs. There are a lot of very nice rides here, both stock and modified..... and a few WTHIT?

That said, I am facing the same dilema in a way right now on the newest ride that was just delivered 2 weeks ago. It is stock, all matching numbers, has all the factory bells and whistles, was been garaged and very well taken care of its entire life, not raced and is in almost perfect condition. I also have pretty much the complete paper trail on it. But it was painted as soon as it was bought new in 1973, and also had the seats done custom cloth in it at the same time. Somewhere along the line it got these wheels, a sterio system and the A/C upgraded, but otherwise it is all original. Some argue the custom paint/interior since done when brand new is original - I accept the paint as period correct paint for the waining Psychodelic Era, but I don't accept that it can be called original.

So my dilema is how far do I go with mods on it, or do I take it back to original? Mods if not would include Cragar S/S wheels and probably Goodyear W/L tires, but do I go further? Have thought about a repaint even though the 33 year old Pearl Opalescent paint and graphics on it is near perfect. Its an L48, so I have toyed with dropping a bigger engine in it too (don't need the extra power, its just nice knowing its there). But it rides like a dream, is very solid and mechanically strong as is. BTW, will just be a weekend cruiser, not for racing.

Sure is hell buying a C3 with very little to tinker with. Feel I am missing some of the fun I had with my first 5 in my younger days - all 58's and 59's (and all modified). No, I don't have any of them now.

Ladobe

OK...HERE's A SURPRISE!! Please, keep it stock! Spend the bucks to repaint it to the factory color and have the interior redone to factory specs. Yeah, that's coming from me! Like I said at the beginning, if it's a stock survivor or original, keep it that way. You're not looking for speed, so no need to replace the power line. With very little work, you can have a very nice 'original' soft nose. Do it. There will always be cars out ther that have not survived with their original stuff to hack up, and make your own, so save the ones that can be saved...BUT CUT UP THE REST!! Glenn PS. Love the wheels. Who's are they?
Old 08-11-2005, 09:54 PM
Glenn"Mr.Blue"Smith
Drifting

Originally Posted by carl a
------ the problem is work situation,,,im in the trades and have been for 26 yrs----until last year i worked every day,,,once your layed off ,,,in my local you sit for 1 yr,,,, i cant risk loosing everything on the work situation,,,,now when i was layed off i could pay my small mortage on unemployment... i think ill wait 11 more years till i retire,,then move and start my new car,,,,ill have all day to do it!
Don't wait till you die!
Old 08-11-2005, 10:10 PM
litevette
Melting Slicks

When I've gone to the larger vette shows, I start by looking at everything. After a while, I don't get any kicks out of looking at the same car I just looked at. I then start passing up the stock ones and just look for the modded ones.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:42 PM
Glass Act
Melting Slicks

Location: 406ci SB, AFR 180 Heads - 490 HP @5,600 RPM 529 lb-ft @ 4,100 RPM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Modified, I've added ground effects all around and have 6 rear lights instead of 4. With this slight difference I have received many thumbs up It has also won many trophys, beating out original spec Vettes. But I also admire stock ones, but then again most are really not original, with all the replaced parts it takes to make them look stock, even though they are factory spec cars. Just my 2 cents....
Old 08-11-2005, 11:19 PM
Johnny Whitney
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Default modified corvette's

Mine is modified. It has fender flares etc. And while I love original vette's I really like what flares do for mine. It really is an eyecatcher in Town here. Have had nothing but compliments on it. If I knew how to post a pic I'd post it for you. I do have some posted at Blackcorvettes.com.
I have not yet showed the car because I didn't have under the hood finished but several of the clubs in North East Ft Worth have approached me and asked for me too.

Last edited by Johnny Whitney; 08-11-2005 at 11:23 PM. Reason: thought of something else to add
Old 08-12-2005, 12:07 AM
ETM
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

I think it depends on the car your dealing with.I wouldnt take a 67 BB that was original and change anything.

I have bonestock 02 Z06.I also have a modified 1980 Coupe.The 80 has been modernized somewhat and it has been improved for better performance and drivability.
I put in a 350 for the stock 305.
700R4 tranny-better mileage and freeway cruising.
dumped the 85MPH Speedo for a 140MPH.
Complete Be Cool system
Aftermarket wire wheels.

I wouldnt do anything to modify the looks of my Shark though.They`re great looking cars from the door.To me body kits are not neccessary for the Corvette especially the C3.I wouldnt want anything to change the lines of the body.Thats just my 02.
Old 08-12-2005, 02:56 AM
platato
Pro

Location: The Armpit of Illinois Platato says..... "Sometimes your the windshield & sometimes your the bug".
St. Jude Donor '05

Easy answer!

You need at least two! One that's a NCRS car and another that you can build to suit your tastes. SHARK 81 will soon have an 80 Roadster to keep him company.

STW!

Platato
Old 08-12-2005, 07:12 AM
rhuntrvette
Advanced

WHEN I BOUGHT MY 71 IT DID'NT HAVE THE ORIGINAL SMALL BLOCK IN IT SO I PULLED IT AND PUT IN A BIG BLOCK.I WANTED MY CAR TO BE DIFFERENT FROM THE OTHERS SO I ADDED AFTERMARKET WHEELS A BIG BLOCK HOOD AND A BALDWIN MOTION PAINT SCHEME.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:03 AM
red topless gator
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by ForensicVette
I prefer stock, or appearing to be stock. There are some mods that I don't mind, but mostly stock.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:08 AM
vette70
Racer

Default To Each His Own, It's The Smile That Counts

My opinion is each to his own. One of the things that I have loved about this hobby is that it gives all of us a chance to do what we want. Whether it be seaching the old barns and wrecking yards to find the exact part to complete a classic restoration or bring you aging Vette up to modern technology.

I personally love the style of the Corvette, but also am aware of the fact that today we can put in our car technology that makes them faster and safer than thirty or forty years ago.

We all smile when we get a compliment about either the fact that we incorperated a new part to the car that improved it's ablilities and safety, just as much as we admire someone who spent the time and energy to complete a perfect reproduction of the orignial car. It's our love for the process that makes us do it.

Both avenues have the same result, the smile that we have when we are alone in our garage and look at the work we have accomplished.

What we don't need in the hobby is the snobbery that some have because some choose a different path to the hobby.

In the end all that matters is that feeling we each get personally
when we turn that key and hear that one and only sound and a
Corvette start up, stock or modified it's music to the ear.

Get notified of new replies

To Modified Corvettes Poll

Old 08-12-2005, 09:12 AM
red topless gator
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 77 Posts

I REALLY agree with this opinion.............LT

Originally Posted by vette70
My opinion is each to his own. One of the things that I have loved about this hobby is that it gives all of us a chance to do what we want. Whether it be seaching the old barns and wrecking yards to find the exact part to complete a classic restoration or bring you aging Vette up to modern technology.

I personally love the style of the Corvette, but also am aware of the fact that today we can put in our car technology that makes them faster and safer than thirty or forty years ago.

We all smile when we get a compliment about either the fact that we incorperated a new part to the car that improved it's ablilities and safety, just as much as we admire someone who spent the time and energy to complete a perfect reproduction of the orignial car. It's our love for the process that makes us do it.

Both avenues have the same result, the smile that we have when we are alone in our garage and look at the work we have accomplished.

What we don't need in the hobby is the snobbery that some have because some choose a different path to the hobby.

In the end all that matters is that feeling we each get personally
when we turn that key and hear that one and only sound and a
Corvette start up, stock or modified it's music to the ear.

Old 08-12-2005, 10:46 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by rhuntrvette
WHEN I BOUGHT MY 71 IT DID'NT HAVE THE ORIGINAL SMALL BLOCK IN IT SO I PULLED IT AND PUT IN A BIG BLOCK.I WANTED MY CAR TO BE DIFFERENT FROM THE OTHERS SO I ADDED AFTERMARKET WHEELS A BIG BLOCK HOOD AND A BALDWIN MOTION PAINT SCHEME.

Nice pics. I think that's how I'll paint my hood, with the stripe ending in a point on the hood. We have a similar paint scheme.

Old 08-13-2005, 02:48 AM
Glenn"Mr.Blue"Smith
Drifting

Default Thanks For The Great Responses

Just wanted to thank all of you who took the time to voice your opinions & post photos of your Vettes. It was a greater than expected response, and not one person got rude about another's opinions. Thanks again for letting us know what you think about modified and stock Vettes. Glenn

Quick Reply: Modified Corvettes Poll