Sponsored by:

Gota love these gas prices!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2005, 11:10 AM
zipp-75
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SF North Bay Ca:

I got raped yesterday on diesel at $3.19!

Super: $3.02
Old 08-12-2005, 11:16 AM
LemansBlue68
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I wonder if the prices on big block muscle cars will drop like they did in the '70's when oil prices spiked???? You couldn't give those cars away then.

....NOT!
Old 08-12-2005, 11:19 AM
Glassbowtie77
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just paid $2.59.9 this morning for 87 octane at Mobil. Their mid grade was $2.75.9 and there Super was $2.83.9. It is absolutely disgusting, I can only imagine what it will cost to gas up our cars and heat our homes this winter.
Old 08-12-2005, 11:42 AM
turtlevette
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03,'11

quit drinking and smoking dope and save the money for gas.

problem solved.
Old 08-12-2005, 11:55 AM
1979L82
Instructor

Default quick econ lesson re/gas

A product, such as refined crude, gasoline, is affected by a number of influences.

The price of gasoline is adjusted by demand and is said to "elastic" meaning it will increase or decrease according to how much is being sought/used. As long as we continue to use and demand fuel, manufacturers can and most likely will change its price, usually upward.

What causes the price to change? Prices change in demand for the product. In the US and other countries/nation like EU we demand lower cost products, such as clothing, household items, electronics. This leads us to purchase items manufactured in emerging countries, China, and third world countries, India for example. In order for these nations to produce power to produce the goods we want, a vicious cycle. these countries need crude oil to make power in order to manufacture. China is also building a highway system, an interstate, and is the largest importer of crude on a percantage base in the world

Speculation and fear also can effect the cost of crude. The recent death of King Fahd, and volatility in the exporting regions of the world can and do cause traders to fear shortages, therefore we buy/demand any extracted resources at whatever cost.

Other factors influencing the price of crude oil include accidents epicially in transporting, the Exxon Valdez, the prohibiting of mining in restricted areas, national parks and enviroementality protected areas, bad weather, hurricanes, increasing demand, see above, lack of refineries, no new plants in US in 20 years, halting transport of oil from producers, labor, the whole fundemental religion thing, Muslim vs. everything else, war and natural disasters. Also taxes can and do affect the cost of gas. Imagine if John Kerry was elected and imposed his proposal of a 50 cent/gallon tax. Locally we have an annual increase of 0.8 cent per year

Now what can you do to stop the increase. A product is said to be “inelastic”. if it not wanted of their is very demand. At this time in our current status their little we can do. We can park the "Vette or any other performance vehicle and not use it. Alternative fuels is the best option. Hydrogen, methanols, ethanols, alcohols. Unfortunately these are years away because of manufacturing and distribution issues. If alternative fuels become viable, vehicles, our Corvettes or ??? we will need retrofitting to any existing gasoline powered engine, but will create a new industry, advancing the economy. Hybrids are an option, as are diesels, but these current choices leave little for an ethusist.

The recent passage of the energy bill invests in the expansion of biodiesel and other renewable fuels. This will strengthen our doemestic security by reducing our dependence on the imported oil and grow the agricultural industries in the US, unfortunately years away. Coal can be converted from the base product, as can certain tree resins, espicially pine, but these conversions are cost prohibitive, only if crude would hit $90 barrel.

Last edited by 1979L82; 08-12-2005 at 12:19 PM.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:12 PM
kona
Drifting

$2.19 for regular unleaded. Thank God the office is only 3.1 miles from the house.

Kona
Old 08-12-2005, 01:11 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,617 Likes on 1,338 Posts

Interesting topic. As posted if the demand drops so will the price. Witness: before 9/11- gas prices started to go up- I think it was the plan to jack up the prices then. Then the Arabs attacked us and no one used the planes. Within days the price dropped. Within weeks we were under $1.00 a gallon- anyone remember? Things tapered off we got back to travel and the prices went back to where they were headed in the first place.

Years ago when gas jumped from .35 - .50 people were screaming, the politicians had no choice but to act. I don't hear or see anyone in office doing anything today. With no one checking them why not raise the rates? Heck, even Jimmy Carter did something. Our present guy just signed a bill to give the oil companies more tax breaks- to help them out. Anyone see the news today their profits are up 30-50%

Something is very wrong here and it's a world issue. Blame the Chinese, no refineries, OPEC, a high wind in the gulf, the threat of an attack, anything sounds good - just rise the rates every week as long as there is a free ride!

Gary
Old 08-12-2005, 01:36 PM
Empatho
Melting Slicks

I say its time to pump oil from Alaska
Old 08-12-2005, 01:46 PM
XPLOCIV
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$2.60's for the Good Stuff in Michigan.
Old 08-12-2005, 01:50 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As of today:

$ 7.34

I think we're the most expensive in the whole world
Old 08-12-2005, 02:01 PM
rihwoods
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

$2.90 for 91 Octane....my answer...
Old 08-12-2005, 02:13 PM
kona
Drifting

Originally Posted by kona
$2.19 for regular unleaded. Thank God the office is only 3.1 miles from the house.

Kona

Went home at lunch it's now a hefty $2.49 for regular unleaded.

Kona
Old 08-12-2005, 02:23 PM
FormerPacifist
Advanced

This is the reason I moved from driving my vette on a regular basis to driving my crotch rocket. The motorcycle is much faster, more agile, and definatly more gas efficient. You cant go wrong with 40 mpg.
Old 08-12-2005, 08:16 PM
Sandiego70
Racer

Just paid today $2.98 9/10 for Shell V-Power in SD. But they have coupons for $2.00 off that I got in mail and they have coupons also at station, if you are nice and think to ask, for $2 off 10 gallons. Thus I paid $2.78 9/10 net for 10 gallons. Love my vette! Just glad I do not have to commute 100 miles a day in a SUV or Vette at the mileage mine gets! about 11 mpg
Old 08-12-2005, 08:50 PM
NorthVette
Racer

I've just quickly run through this thread, but everyone seem to be forgetting about the refineries and the (North) American companies that deliver and set the prices for pump fuel. Everyone seems quick on the draw about blaming the barrel price, but the real money is in the refined, finished product... After that... Look at what your local/state/provincial/federal goverment is drawing from you refueling...

Just another side of the same coin....

Last edited by NorthVette; 08-12-2005 at 08:53 PM.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:33 PM
DMONSVETTE
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

OK, just got back from the gas station near my home.

reg. $2.73
unld. $2.81
Sup. $2.89

and that is pump your own gas, this sucks.
Old 08-13-2005, 12:28 AM
Ladobe
Advanced

Originally Posted by DMONSVETTE
OK, just got back from the gas station near my home.

reg. $2.73
unld. $2.81
Sup. $2.89

and that is pump your own gas, this sucks.

That's why they are not called "service" stations anymore.

I can still remember in my early "legal" driving years when Ethel was .18 per gallon - .12 to .14 during gas wars between local rival stations... and they pumped the gas, checked the oil, checked all tire pressure's and washed all the windows - and with a fill up gave you a 6-pack (bottles) of soda or hand car wash.

Anyone else remember the signs back then that topless ladies that drove in got a free fill up?

Now besides doing it all yourself, you pay for air and water, and after you've stood in line to pay (usually first before you fill) and finally go back in to stand in line again to get your change, if you're lucky, the minimum wage bozo behind the counter can even figure out your correct change. Doesn't make sense to me they now call those places "quick stops".

Just my $3 worth... (inflation)

Last edited by Ladobe; 08-13-2005 at 12:31 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Gota love these gas prices!!!!!!

Old 08-13-2005, 02:21 AM
LiveandLetDrive
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Twin_Turbo
As of today:

$ 7.34

I think we're the most expensive in the whole world
I can see why you're not concerned about long rides in that race seat!

It's around $2.50 here for premium. It may not be for everybody but I bought a motorcycle recently and it's the best thing I've ever bought for the Vette. 51mpg measured over the last two tanks. Fill up at the above mentioned price for $7 a 2.8g tank for about 150 miles. I just couldn't bring myself to buy a Civic or something. The 650's still very very fast also. Made driving the Vette more of an experience and less of a hassle too. But I guess some of you guys weren't commuting 45 minutes each way every day. If you do make the switch, Be Careful!

-Chris
Old 08-13-2005, 04:07 AM
Glenn"Mr.Blue"Smith
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ladobe
That's why they are not called "service" stations anymore.

I can still remember in my early "legal" driving years when Ethel was .18 per gallon - .12 to .14 during gas wars between local rival stations... and they pumped the gas, checked the oil, checked all tire pressure's and washed all the windows - and with a fill up gave you a 6-pack (bottles) of soda or hand car wash.

Anyone else remember the signs back then that topless ladies that drove in got a free fill up?

Now besides doing it all yourself, you pay for air and water, and after you've stood in line to pay (usually first before you fill) and finally go back in to stand in line again to get your change, if you're lucky, the minimum wage bozo behind the counter can even figure out your correct change. Doesn't make sense to me they now call those places "quick stops".

Just my $3 worth... (inflation)
Free fill up??!? Of gas?
And you can't understand the language they are speaking, either!! It scares me each time I go into one like now-a-days and I wonder...am I helping to fund some terroist group overseas by patronizing this gas station?
Old 08-13-2005, 04:12 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LiveandLetDrive
I can see why you're not concerned about long rides in that race seat!
Exactly...that's one of the reasons

Quick Reply: Gota love these gas prices!!!!!!